ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3D TVs

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'm fighting hard to resist buying one of these.

If you have a ps3 and sky HD it's a good start, if I hadn't spent a lot of money on a tv in January I would get one straight away.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Surely as with all new tech, within 12months prices will fall and the units will improve?

I'm fighting hard to resist buying one of these.

If you have a ps3 and sky HD it's a good start, if I hadn't spent a lot of money on a tv in January I would get one straight away.

I've got a PS3 slim, so probably won't need the free BR player too.

Will test it out, see which is better.

Surely as with all new tech, within 12months prices will fall and the units will improve?

True, but then you'd never buy anything, as you're waiting for the next version.

My current one is 18 months old, so about due an upgrade.

dk

911 GTS Cab
its not the price for me, i think they are reasonable, its the fact i spent £1400 on a decent one with no picture or backlight issues 9 months ago which turns me off.

buying a tv these days is a lottery, no matter what brand, its hit and miss whether you get a decent one or not, the main problem being backlight bleed which would be really annoying, my dads set suffers from this, does my head in, he says he can't see it.

its not the price for me, i think they are reasonable, its the fact i spent £1400 on a decent one with no picture or backlight issues 9 months ago which turns me off.

buying a tv these days is a lottery, no matter what brand, its hit and miss whether you get a decent one or not, the main problem being backlight bleed which would be really annoying, my dads set suffers from this, does my head in, he says he can't see it.

I know what you mean. My last set was replaced 3 times using the 'whatever happens' plan, due to picture issues.

I've gone with Currys again for this reason, they are brilliant at replacing.

Mito Sportiva 135
I think it will take off but for me it's just way too much money for way too little content right now. I would rather get a top quality HD TV and have money left over than 3D TV + 3D Blu Ray player + 3D Sky subscription + multiple pairs of 3D glasses. I will just get an HD TV now and upgrade in 3-4 years time, if and when the technology is more widespread and cheaper.

I love my technology but don't like paying over the odds for things, especially when there is a risk. Early adopters always lose out.

MY10 R35 GTR
whats classed as an early adopter though??

Completely agree with you Brand I love technology but with the speed everything moves an early adopter becomes a late adopter and then out of date within 12 months. Is 3d tv going to be better in 12 months time compaired to now? will it be better due to harware software? If its software does that mean the latest internet tvs can have firmware updates?

The next stage of 3d is 3d without glasses. But thats going to mean that the sweet spot viewing angle is going to be really small

But the same can be said for getting the latest car or iPhone.

If you wait, you'll wait forever.

There will always be something new on it's way to replace the one you have/want.

Mito Sportiva 135
Exactly...there are too many cons for me right now to consider it, and too expensive for an unfinished consumer technology. A very good HD tv with Blu Ray player is more than good enough in the meantime!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
whats classed as an early adopter though??

Completely agree with you Brand I love technology but with the speed everything moves an early adopter becomes a late adopter and then out of date within 12 months. Is 3d tv going to be better in 12 months time compaired to now? will it be better due to harware software? If its software does that mean the latest internet tvs can have firmware updates?

The next stage of 3d is 3d without glasses. But thats going to mean that the sweet spot viewing angle is going to be really small
But there is usually a significant price drop initially, then it's more stable.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
3D is still 1st gen right now. It's bound to get a lot better over the next few years as content and hardware improve. I was just in the position of should I, shouldn't I? In the end I went for a very good HD tv for £600 with a view to selling it in 2-3 years for 2-£300 and getting a much better 3d tv for £600 again that might even be OLED by then if were lucky!

3D is still 1st gen right now. It's bound to get a lot better over the next few years as content and hardware improve. I was just in the position of should I, shouldn't I? In the end I went for a very good HD tv for £600 with a view to selling it in 2-3 years for 2-£300 and getting a much better 3d tv for £600 again that might even be OLED by then if were lucky!

And this is what I do now.

I buy a set for £800+, keep for 2years, then buy another.

In 2 years I'll upgrade again when gen2 is ready.

The 3D TV I've just bought is better than my current plasma in HD and SD, so the 3D is a bonus :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
And this is what I do now.

I buy a set for £800+, keep for 2years, then buy another.

In 2 years I'll upgrade again when gen2 is ready.

The 3D TV I've just bought is better than my current plasma in HD and SD, so the 3D is a bonus :)

Suppose it depends on budgets and how long you see your self keeping the TV for. I wasn't prepared to pay an extra £400 + extra glasses for the addition of 3D. I just couldn't justify it with the amount of content available. Especially considering that i would never pay the £60 a month or what ever it is to have the Sky 3D channel. Absolute ripoff imo...

Just started looking at new tvs tonight and didnt realise the price of these had came down so much. I was really siding with the idea of getting a good LED tv but with this one including freview hd, glasses and having 600hz and 1080p im really tempted to just take the plunge. We buy alot of dvds and blurays and wouldnt grudge paying for all the new 3d movies being released next year.
any comments?
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/680613/SAMSUNG-PS50C680?cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_--_-position

Just started looking at new tvs tonight and didnt realise the price of these had came down so much. I was really siding with the idea of getting a good LED tv but with this one including a 3d BD player, glasses and having 600hz and 1080p im really tempted to just take the plunge. We buy alot of dvds and blurays and wouldnt grudge paying for all the new 3d movies being released next year.
any comments?
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/680613/SAMSUNG-PS50C680?cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_--_-position

This is the one I've bought, but from Currys with 3 glasses and DVD.

Note, that price is only until midnight before going back to £999.

much it cost you all in CJ? and as for the price, if it was that price once, it can be it again ;);)

ps does that one do the 2d to 3d thing?

much it cost you all in CJ? and as for the price, if it was that price once, it can be it again ;);)

ps does that one do the 2d to 3d thing?

Cost me £999 for the tv, bd player, 3 glasses and monsters vs aliens 3D DVD.

Yes it does the 2D to 3D converter on any source.

Not sure if you're into gaming, but the new COD will be in 3D.

Thats what im stuck at danny, i want LED. BTW is it just PS3 that plays 3d bluray or can the new xbox play also.

Inferno 182 CUP
i figured plasma is old tech and is being phased out with LED etc .. however people cant afford LED 3D so are having to buy plasma hence there still making them .. HOWEVER im gonna hold out for LED as the picture difference is millions times ahead of plasmas and lcds and ive owned all 3

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
i figured plasma is old tech and is being phased out with LED etc .. however people cant afford LED 3D so are having to buy plasma hence there still making them .. HOWEVER im gonna hold out for LED as the picture difference is millions times ahead of plasmas and lcds and ive owned all 3

Lol, depends which ones you have. Plasma still has plenty of advantages over LCD panels, as well as some disadvantages...

how much u selling for CJ and what make and model?

I'm selling my current 50" 1080p to my bro at family rates.

thats magic, that just through haggling in store yeah? think i may go for that, right up my street :)

No that was the deal instore at the time :)

plasma 3d tv for £900

how much is an LED 3D tv? £2K?

There's LED, then there's LED backlit. These aren't true LED.

I prefer plasma (to LCD) for the blacks, and the natural colours.

Can't comment on true LED.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
i mean proper LED not just LED backlit :)

You have edgelit and backlit LED. It's just a different way of lighting it. They are both LCD technology which are said generally not to produce as good a picture as a good Plasma.

When you say proper LED do you mean OLED? as that is totally different and when size and price is right should be great.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I havent read any of the thread, just wanted to say the quicker we get past this 3D shite fad the better. Do not enjoy it at all.

MY10 R35 GTR
I was in currys today to have a look at tvs. Had a look at the LG 47LX9900 which is Full LED which was stunning the picture quality was superb. Seriously considering buying it. Maybe the 55" though