ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3D TVs

Anyone got one? Which one?

What's it like? If you've seen a 3D film at the cinema, how does it compare?

Nippy white cup
Yeah I still haven't seen one in action yet. I imagine it would be better than cinema due to the clarity of the screen being better. There was a deal at the matalan in preston...samsung 40" 3DTV with a Blu ray player (3d capable as well) and 2 pairs of 3d glasses for £999 +vat which I guess ain't too bad

Chris

172 cup
had a go of one in currys a 50inch for 2.5k wanted 1 straight after but after taking the glasses off my eyes felt weird?
not worth it at the moment as 3d blu ray is another £300 sky 3d hasnt kicked off yet so i'll wait till january sales.
p**n in 3d? :) happy days

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
i have an LG 55LX9900 in the cinema room although i have to say ive only ever watched one thing in 3d on it (cloudy with a chance of meatballs, lol). the supposed sky 3d preview channel also apparently wants a subscription to view anything on it....... It does look pretty good but i had a bit of a headache after taking the glasses off.

dk

911 GTS Cab
had a go of one in currys a 50inch for 2.5k wanted 1 straight after but after taking the glasses off my eyes felt weird?
not worth it at the moment as 3d blu ray is another £300 sky 3d hasnt kicked off yet so i'll wait till january sales.
p**n in 3d? :) happy days

3d bluray and gaming, free with ps3, sky 3d is already running, it's launched now.

The sony one I watched was stunning, soooo good watching football (pity I hate football lol), the only issue was the glasses, they were rather heavy and clumsy over my existing glasses

Mini Cooper S
Yeah the glasses thing is a down side apparently LG are making one without the need for the specs not sure when/if this made or true.

It's a competing market atm. Not worth getting until there is a good definitive format which I suspect is a few years away yet.

+1

I would wait a maybe a couple of years before splashing out on one. Just save up between now and then and get the best thats on the market at that time.

Sky officially launches its 3D channel with The Ryder Cup 1st October. The channel is live now showing previews. Sharp have already shown off a 3DTV that doesn't need glasses and the others are following suit. So again it might be worth waiting out to see what those are gonna be like. Remember that when you buy a 3DTV you will all need glasses to make it work and they are £100+ iirc

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
yeh tv's that do not require glasses are already working, but brands dont want to start a format war apparently.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Have heard though that the reason why there not pushing the 3D TV's without glasses is because for it to work, would mean people having to watch tv inline of sight. It's the same tech that the new DS 3D uses... so in other words, you would have to watch tv straight in front of the TV rather than say at an angle.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Toshiba seem to be preparing to release their 42" 3D tv next season which doesn't need glasses.

Personally I'll be waiting for 2-3 years before upgrading the TV again, im still not sure 3D will take off well enough to justify the upgrade. HD has been a long journey and its still lacking the everyday material which it should have by now.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Only 2% of British consumers are planning to purchase a 3D-ready television set in the next 12 months, a new report has claimed.

According to research conducted by YouGov for Deloitte, only 89 out of the 4,199 respondents surveyed said that they intended to buy a 3D-enabled TV set over the coming year, reports The Daily Telegraph.

The biggest proportion of consumers willing to invest in a 3D set hailed from the 25-to-34 age group, while over-45s were the least likely to take the plunge.

The limited demand for 3D TVs will be a big blow to manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony, LG and Panasonic, which have all recently launched 3D TVs into the UK market.

The situation could change, though, after Sky launches its dedicated 3D channel to residential subscribers on October 1.

Deloitte's research found that UK consumers were more interested in purchasing high definition television sets, 7% of whom are planning to do so in the next 12 months.

"It is remarkable how conservative people's predictions for their own technology spending habits over the coming year were," said Deloitte's media director Paul Lee.

"They didn't have to commit to buying anything during the research and yet still predicted very little spend on TV products moving forward.

"Belts have tightened after the economic downturn and with little understanding of what lies ahead, consumers are still being cautious."

Retailers have not yet reported exact national sales figures for 3D TVs, but John Lewis claimed last month that 15% of its sales of 40inch+ TVs are now 3D models.

Comet's commercial director Bob Darke said that the electronics retailer has sold "thousands" of 3D-ready sets since they launched earlier this year.

"3D TVs have been selling very well at Comet since their launch, with the biggest spike in May, which we can attribute to the World Cup," said Drake.

"While the games weren't shown in 3D it is typically a time where people look to upgrade their set to the best available TV on the market, which at the time and still is 3D."

I had a good look today at a couple of 3D sets, with the intention of buying one next month.

SD/HD is better than my current 1080p set, so it's an upgrade anyway, without the 3D.

I was really impressed with the 2D - 3D conversion, and FIFA 11 looked brilliant.

Want to see a few more sets first.

I tested it from 3 - 8 foot away and it worked well.

I currently sit exactly 15 foot away from mine, so will be heading to another store tomorrow to 'test' the distance again.

I'm going for the Samsung PS50C6900

I've tried looking for this (or the 680) but nowhere had them out on display.

I've just looked at a Sony in Comet today, £1150 for a 40" including glasses, BR player and 5 movies.

I'd rather another 50" though, as I'm worried the smaller screen will be a downgrade.

I still think it's a bit of a gimmick.

There's very little 3D content around. Most stuff isn't even in HD yet, so 3D is way off.

I'd rather spend that money on a big LED.

MY10 R35 GTR
Im liking the sony and Lg stuff, LG is getting the nod, love the thin panel tvs there doing

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Had the privilege of playing Wipeout 3d, it's ok... really makes you realise the issues around the 3d being inside the telly rather than outside it like in the good old days.

It was good. Funnily enough the game also comes with the regular equivalent. Playing them one after the other, i can honestly say i prefered the normal HD one. My mate (who it belongs to) argued that your eyes need time to adjust to it and once you do you won't go back, but for me, my eyes could see it fine, but they just weren't that keen (lol). something about it makes it look a bit blurry to me, and this is using the active glasses technology rather than the passive ones you get in cinemas at the moment (i.e. their powered), so that should be better.

Lol @ Revels how is not much stuff in HD?!?!?! there is terrabytes of content out there, i know, i have loads!

anyway for those interested in getting one, Panasonic ones are the best. Well known in the market to be aswell. AV Forums seem to agree, 'Kuroesque' it would seem...

Last edited:
Played Wipeout 3d, it's ok... really makes you realise the issues around the 3d being inside the telly rather than outside it like in the good old days.

It was good. Funnily enough the game also comes with the regular equivalent. Playing them one after the other, i can honestly say i prefered the normal HD one. My mate (who is belongs to) argued that your eyes need time to adjust to it and once you do you won't go back, but for me, my eyes could see it fine, but they just weren't that keen (lol). something about it makes it look a bit blurry to me, and this is using the active glasses technology rather than the passive ones you get in cinemas at the moment (i.e. their powered), so that should be better.

Lol @ Revels how is not much stuff in HD?!?!?! there is terrabytes of content out there, i know, i have loads!

anyway for those interested in getting one, Panasonic ones are the best. Well known in the market to be aswell. AV Forums seem to agree, 'Kuroesque' it would seem...

except with all the issues they are having unfortunately

I still think it's a bit of a gimmick.

There's very little 3D content around. Most stuff isn't even in HD yet, so 3D is way off.

I'd rather spend that money on a big LED.

With the new COD being 3D, plus the 2D-3D convertor (which worked pretty well on BBC 1) there's enough there to use. Imo.

Audi S1
I have a 55' Samsumg one. Sky 3D looks cool, next year is the year for buying one though. That's when films are due to be released.

How? 2D to 3D button or is the game actually going to have a 3D version? I'm googling but can't find out how it's going work. I thought the Xbox isn't 3D compatible.

I'd assume the 360 would have an update, like the PS3 did recently?

States on the GAME website that the game is 3D ready.

Mate has a samsung one and it looks good, not worth the money atm though as there aren't many films out yet and sky only has 1 channel. His dog also munched all 4 of his glasses at £70 a pop lol.

Well, I took the plunge and bought a 3D tv tonight, now to sell my current 1080p 50" (unless the mrs lets me move it to the bedroom)