ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2005 RB 182 Cup

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Oh I forgot to post the official pics:

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0602.jpg
RED_0204.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Always a pleasure mate, it looks soo good!

I bet you can’t wait to get even more track days under its belt, it looked to be going a lovely pace before the spin!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Time to get it working again...

Since Cadwell Park the car has just sat in the garage looking sorry for its self.

IMG_4808.JPG

The power steering system has a link by the alternator, its leaking from the pipe it self as I hope the following pics will highlight:

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

We put a load of liquid metal around the pipe to allow me to get home so at some point I need to take it all part, but I'm stuck in two minds as to weather to go down the EPAS route or fix the standard system. If I go EPAS I may as well remove the AC also. If I went this route I think I would like to go 172 Cup set up which would also involve buying a new alternator and from my prices cost me around £450.00 to replace the hydraulic system and fix EPAS & a new 172 Cup set up.

Or do I just fix the current issue (cost should be around £50) for a pipe to be made up and enjoy the car?

Any views would be great.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Time to get it working again...

Since Cadwell Park the car has just sat in the garage looking sorry for its self.

View attachment 1345706

The power steering system has a link by the alternator, its leaking from the pipe it self as I hope the following pics will highlight:

View attachment 1345707
View attachment 1345708

We put a load of liquid metal around the pipe to allow me to get home so at some point I need to take it all part, but I'm stuck in two minds as to weather to go down the EPAS route or fix the standard system. If I go EPAS I may as well remove the AC also. If I went this route I think I would like to go 172 Cup set up which would also involve buying a new alternator and from my prices cost me around £450.00 to replace the hydraulic system and fix EPAS & a new 172 Cup set up.

Or do I just fix the current issue (cost should be around £50) for a pipe to be made up and enjoy the car?

Any views would be great.
You don't necessarily need to go straight to the Cup setup. The cheapest route would be to buy the delete kits from Pure Motorsport and then either buy the HPAS rack blanking kit from either PM or Proline. Then the only other outlay is for the EPAS steering column and controller.
The Cup bracketry and alternator could easily be changed over later. The PM Power steering delete kit will stransfer to that and then just sell on the aircon delete kit.
Oh and you'll need to change the aux belt too.

Just my opinion of course!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
You don't necessarily need to go straight to the Cup setup. The cheapest route would be to buy the delete kits from Pure Motorsport and then either buy the HPAS rack blanking kit from either PM or Proline. Then the only other outlay is for the EPAS steering column and controller.
The Cup bracketry and alternator could easily be changed over later. The PM Power steering delete kit will stransfer to that and then just sell on the aircon delete kit.
Oh and you'll need to change the aux belt too.

Just my opinion of course!

Thanks for your help @robzracing

I've spoke to a couple of guys who have run EPAS and I've decided this is the route for me.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Pure Motorsport kit therefore I've taken the decision to bite the bullet and get it done. Initially I'm going with a looped rack and EPAS column and controller. I've located most parts new, as I've been unable to locate any second hand. Not ideal but at least it'll look clean!

I'll have a few hours spare this weekend so providing the weather is good I'll make a start of remove the front end.

The only query I do have is what belt do you guys run with 172 Cup set up and EPAS?

I'll keep you posted this weekend.

Tom

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for your help @robzracing

I've spoke to a couple of guys who have run EPAS and I've decided this is the route for me.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Pure Motorsport kit therefore I've taken the decision to bite the bullet and get it done. Initially I'm going with a looped rack and EPAS column and controller. I've located most parts new, as I've been unable to locate any second hand. Not ideal but at least it'll look clean!

I'll have a few hours spare this weekend so providing the weather is good I'll make a start of remove the front end.

The only query I do have is what belt do you guys run with 172 Cup set up and EPAS?

I'll keep you posted this weekend.

Tom
Sounds like a plan! I've used a 4pk1110 belt, but I'm using the lightweight pulleys (4pk) as apposed to the 6pk standard. Length should be very similar though. In this photo the power steering pump is still installed but I've since swapped this for the PM power steering delete kit which retains an idler pulley in the same position so belt remains the same.
upload_2017-11-21_16-34-48.png

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Sounds like a plan! I've used a 4pk1110 belt, but I'm using the lightweight pulleys (4pk) as apposed to the 6pk standard. Length should be very similar though. In this photo the power steering pump is still installed but I've since swapped this for the PM power steering delete kit which retains an idler pulley in the same position so belt remains the same.
View attachment 1345884

Thanks for the pic.

I'll be removing the pump etc so the belt will only be running via 3 pulleys.

The belt I'll be running will be the 5pk847, this is one rid smaller than standard so it doesn't catch on the cambelt cover. Thanks to @GrahamS for his help on this.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the pic.

I'll be removing the pump etc so the belt will only be running via 3 pulleys.

The belt I'll be running will be the 5pk847, this is one rid smaller than standard so it doesn't catch on the cambelt cover. Thanks to @GrahamS for his help on this.
I'd be interested to see how you configure it for only 3 pulleys. As far as I can see, without a jockey wheel to replace the pump the water pump will be running backwards with the cup setup. Perhaps I'm missing something though!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I'd be interested to see how you configure it for only 3 pulleys. As far as I can see, without a jockey wheel to replace the pump the water pump will be running backwards with the cup setup. Perhaps I'm missing something though!

I could well be wrong. The Cup set up without HPAS looks like so, or so the internet tells me...

5pijgw.jpg

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
I could well be wrong. The Cup set up without HPAS looks like so, or so the internet tells me...

View attachment 1346927
Ah, yes you're right! I assumed you'd be running the belt the other side of the water pump, (which of course wouldn't work anyway as it would then need to be a ribbed pulley. Maybe I'll try that configuration on mine as well. Put a photo up when you've done it if you can.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Ah, yes you're right! I assumed you'd be running the belt the other side of the water pump, (which of course wouldn't work anyway as it would then need to be a ribbed pulley. Maybe I'll try that configuration on mine as well. Put a photo up when you've done it if you can.

Will do.

All being well I should have all the parts by middle next week and then I should have some free time the weekend 9/10th December.

I'll try and document it as well as I can, as I know it'll help people who plan to do the same.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if I'm too late to the party but I deleted the air conditioning by using a saab idler pulley and a new belt. The whole thing costed £20 in total and ran for 18 months no issues. I've seen loads of pure motorsport kits snapping over time which doesn't give much confidence especially as it's an engine wrecker.
Means you can keep your same alternator too then.
Car looks great, getting quite a fair bit of understeer in your video above though, what tyres were you running?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Not sure if I'm too late to the party but I deleted the air conditioning by using a saab idler pulley and a new belt. The whole thing costed £20 in total and ran for 18 months no issues. I've seen loads of pure motorsport kits snapping over time which doesn't give much confidence especially as it's an engine wrecker.
Means you can keep your same alternator too then.
Car looks great, getting quite a fair bit of understeer in your video above though, what tyres were you running?

I've already located a 172 Cup set up but thanks anyway, but my main reason for a 172 Cup set up was that I know it works and will be sort of OEM, rather than using a load of aftermarket parts.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it looks, understeer is a current problem, in the video I was using GITI GTR2 Tyres which after my spin had flat spots on all four! I'm now running Extreme VR2 Tyres which I've yet to drive on, although I've heard from three separate sources that they are better than R888, we will see.

I think I also need to add some camber to the rear, at Cadwell it was apparent that the inside of the rear tyres wasn't getting any wear what so ever. Over this winter I plan on adding some shims, although unsure about how much to add at present.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
great thread chap, just read it all. Love the car, looks a treat

and Cadwell basically rules!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
great thread chap, just read it all. Love the car, looks a treat

and Cadwell basically rules!

Cheers Buddy.

Couldn’t agree more about Cadwell. Was a great track, it’s the best track I’ve driven and well suited to the Clio. I found Snetterton a little too quick for my Clio although still a great circuit.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
December 2017 - Update

As mentioned previously I’ve gone and made a start collection parts to convert over to EPAS. I’ve either ordered or have the following:

Brand New Clio 172 Cup Alternator
IMG_5183.JPG

Clio 172 Cup Alternator brackets
IMG_5178.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG

Proline loop kit
IMG_5182.JPG

DCI steering column (I promise its in there)

IMG_5185.JPG

Belt
IMG_5177.JPG

I've also ordered an eBay EPAS controller unit.

As previously mentioned I’m also going to remove the AC while doing all this as I've not used it once in my year of ownership so no benefit to keep IMO.

I then got a bit carried away and then ordered an Alloy radiator, genuine Renault header thank & a set of forge hoses currently awaiting on the first two to arrive from KAM Racing.

IMG_5173.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG

So I just need to get it all working again! Time is my main restriction at present, all going well I’ll carry out some a little progress this weekend. However there is currently no rush to get it working however I would like it all back together and running before 2018! Otherwise I can see spring arriving and this still sitting in the garage.

Once the above is all up and running next on the list is as follows:
  • Wheel studs
  • Look at relocating the battery (unsure)
  • Aero catches for bonnet

Once the above is done I’ll look to refresh the various tired parts on the car, I also like the idea of power coating the subframe/rear beam and associated parts. But the aim is just to keep it to a clean road legal track car.

Finally how the car is currently sitting:

Untitled.jpg

Although I have since removed the slam panel!

Hopefully more updates to follow this weekend.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Keep up the good work! Looking brilliant as always..

Cheers Darren.

All going well I should have all day Saturday free and I'm off work from Wednesday 20th December until the new year so fingers cross I'll get a few free days next week to get it finished.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nice work and car does look great. need to get my finger out and sort mine with some love......be spring now though, daily grind until then!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
nice work and car does look great. need to get my finger out and sort mine with some love......be spring now though, daily grind until then!

TBH I was going to leave the Clio alone until the new year but if I left it until after Christmas, it won't get touched in January as busy at work and then before you know it the spring will be here and I may have missed out on track action!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
know where you are coming from, I kind of want to track mine too as I've only ever used my proper track car so sort of want to have a play in a more standard vehicle on track.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
January 2018

Unfortunately the car still isn't up and running. Life just gets in the way but we all have that issues...this weekend I'm at the Autosport show at the NEC on Saturday but I need to get the car working before the end of February as I've a track day booked up on 27th March 2018 at Snetterton and I don't want to leave it until the 11th hours like all other track days I've done!

However I have made some more progress to the Clio, nothing major.

Over the Christmas break I did manage to make a start on removing the AC and HPAS:

Surprisingly quick to remove most of the front end!

IMG_5256.JPG

This is where the original leak was coming from (the temporary fix didn't' work too well):

IMG_5257.JPG

I cleaned up and painted the Cup alternator set up:

IMG_5265.JPG

Some of what was removed:

IMG_5267.JPG

While in the process of removing the HPAS pipe work I notice the gear box engine mount had seen better days:

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

I've got a snapped bolt on my battery tray which I'll try and sort before I put it all back together.

I then removed the sound deadening connected to the bulk head assuming I would replace the heat shield section with one off a 1.2 Clio however finding a 1.2 manifold heat shield has turned into a nightmare, worse case I'll go to a scrappy, however the engine looks so much better without it all.

IMG_5406.JPG

It'll especially look better as I have a new header tank and obviously I wont be running a Power steering fluid bottle so should look really neat once all complete.

I've also made a start on cleaning up the battery tray and gearbox bracket:

IMG_5410.JPG

Finally pic of the new engine mounts:

IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG

I would have loved to get all these items powder coated however had two issues, firstly I don't know anyone who would be able to do it and secondly where do I stop spending money!

I briefly toyed with the idea of relocating the battery however as above where does it end! Plus I just want to get it up and running now.

Thanks all for reading...

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Can you not paint them instead while they are off? Can do it in your own time/place then and the paint will last for over jobs too.

Yeah I will paint them myself but I would have preferred to get them all power coated professionally. I've order some paint the same as my inlet so will be in keeping.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yeah I will paint them myself but I would have preferred to get them all power coated professionally. I've order some paint the same as my inlet so will be in keeping.

Everything else you’ve painted in the bay has been great, don’t waste the cash on powder coating mate

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Everything else you’ve painted in the bay has been great, don’t waste the cash on powder coating mate

I was thinking about you earlier! Doesn't mean to sound creepy!

Once I've got the Clio up and running I'll pop over when you're next free, be good to catch up.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I was thinking about you earlier! Doesn't mean to sound creepy!

Once I've got the Clio up and running I'll pop over when you're next free, be good to catch up.

Haha! Definitely mate! Will be good to see what you’ve done too.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
You could get some of the nimbus heat shield instead of the 1.2 panel, I got given some that had already started to be trimmed for a Ph1 but if you buy you can go as much or as little as you want. Mine looks like this

24549175947_1e870f3d44_b.jpg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Haha! Definitely mate! Will be good to see what you’ve done too.

All being well I'll try and spend some time on it this Sunday. I just want to get it up and running before the spring arrives.

You could get some of the nimbus heat shield instead of the 1.2 panel, I got given some that had already started to be trimmed for a Ph1 but if you buy you can go as much or as little as you want. Mine looks like this

View attachment 1352935

I have looked into this as I'm having so much trouble attempting to find a standard heat shield. I would prefer the standard item to keep the ending bay looking OEM, however I may just need to get some nimbus sheet even if a stop gap.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
February 2018 - Working Again!

The car has been off the road since 15th October 2017 and I'm please to announce that its up and running again!

A brief summary of items completed since the above date:
  1. Removed HPAS and removed with loop kit. Not currently running any PAS.
  2. Removed AC (although still need to remove the items in the scuttle).
  3. Fitted Forge coolant hoses.
  4. Fitted Direnza alloy radiator.
  5. New Renault Type D coolant
  6. Fitted Clio Cup alternator set up.
  7. Fitted Vibra-Technics engine mounts.
Time was always my biggest constrain the jobs didn't actually take that long but the fact that I gave every area a clean it took longer than most. I still want to get the EPAS fitted which I'll make a start on tonight weather permitting but I'm really pleased with how its all gone excluding a few points below.

I'll let the pics do the talking:

My new poverty spec bulkhead panel, which I'm yet to fit, although may re-paint either Black, Racing Blue or the same colour as the inlet:

IMG_5436.JPG

My next poverty spec item is a heat shield which I have a lick of paint:

IMG_5489.JPG

Fitted my engine mounts however I struggled to my nut that low, there is only a small amount of it catching but I can't seem to get it any lower:

IMG_5526.JPG

The cam side engine mount went on easy.

Could do with protecting this but not sure what to use:

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5530.JPG

As some of you may know I had an issue with my Forge hoses, the connection section by the heater matrix was much longer than other people's so I had to cut them to fit, I had to take a good 5cm off between the two hoses.

I then decided I liked the idea of wrapping my air box with some "heat reflective tape"

IMG_5543.JPG

Fitting the new rad:

IMG_5547.JPG

Rad in position:

IMG_5548.JPG

All back together:

IMG_5559.JPG

I took it out for a quick spin on Saturday evening and all appears good, I had a slight coolant leak from the bottom radiator connector where I hadn't done it up tight enough, I'v used the more expensive Mikalor clips but I'm not sure they grip as well as decent jubilee clip (just my view) so I may flush the coolant out again in a few weeks and change the clips to jubilee items.

Anyway the good news is that it drives fine, the clutch started to make a funny noise when the peddle is depressed (like you can hear it slipping) but as said above hopefully I'll get the EPAS column fitted and working this week.

I then want to give the Clio an oil change and then it should be ready for 2018!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Great stuff mate. The gearbox mount can sometimes be a right pain. As you said, the engine mount is easy!

I still think it looks fantastic on the 1st official track day pic above :cool:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Great stuff mate. The gearbox mount can sometimes be a right pain. As you said, the engine mount is easy!

I still think it looks fantastic on the 1st official track day pic above :cool:

Cheers Mark.

I'm really happy with how the car looks and I don't plan on changing!

I also love that pic Mark everything just looks right IMO.

Tom