ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2005 RB 182 Cup

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Have you got subframes for the seats? If not I would recommend the Jon Foz X-low frames.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Have you got subframes for the seats? If not I would recommend the Jon Foz X-low frames.

Great minds...

I'm currently awaiting on them coming back in stock, fingers cross I may get them before this weekend.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Good - I wouldn't bother with the sliders either, they flex to much imo. The OMP subframes dont sit level without the washers iirc.

Get some high tensile allen key headed bolts and use the flanged nuts from the standard seats when fitting as well, easy peasy.

You will notice a huge difference with them fitted, but for me it really exaggerated the offset steering position. To remedy that I dremeled the mounting holes on the column to allow side to side movement which has improved it no end once adjusted.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good - I wouldn't bother with the sliders either, they flex to much imo. The OMP subframes dont sit level without the washers iirc.

Get some high tensile allen key headed bolts and use the flanged nuts from the standard seats when fitting as well, easy peasy.

You will notice a huge difference with them fitted, but for me it really exaggerated the offset steering position. To remedy that I dremeled the mounting holes on the column to allow side to side movement which has improved it no end once adjusted.

Great reply, thanks for the info. I'll have a look online today today and try and get some bolts & washers ordered. Don't suppose you have any links and not sizes etc?

TBH I've never noticed the steering wheel position issue however I've only done about 600 miles in it!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Just checked my ebay, 4 x m8 x 40mm high tensile (12.9 grade) bolts and washers for subframe to car, 4 x m8 x 25mm high tensile (12.9 grade) bolts and nyloc nuts and washers for sidemounts to seats. Thats per seat!

You will notice it more when you have buckets in I reckon. Fairly easy to sort anyway.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Another good weekend working on the car.

I can't thank @JON FOZ enough for getting the subframes to me so quickly, top bloke!

I started fitting the buckets seats on Friday evening (8.30pm start time!) I was really thankful for the guides on here for both fitting and resistors. I only managed to remove the passenger seat on Friday night but it made it all clear on what was required, I'll let the pics do the talking:

Seat out including the spacers:

IMG_3338.JPG

I ordered all new bolts to secure the seats to the car & side mounts to the subframe to try and keep it all looking clean, I'll be ordering some slightly larger washers for the Subframes today as I'm not totally happy at present.

Sub frame fitted:

IMG_3340.JPG

Sorting resistors:

IMG_3352.JPG

Didn't actually take any pics of fitting the side mounts fitting, however I took my time at this stage as I was removing the runners, as suggest by a few including @Akay therefore the seating positions are fixed so I wanted to get them right first time. I must say I'm really please that I removed the runners as the seating position is just perfect.

The passenger seat is as far back as possible while the drivers seat is one fixing forward.

Passenger seat fitted:

IMG_3343.JPG

Both fitted:

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

I must say when I first fitted the seats I thought they were too low but after a quick drive around the block, they are perfect. The seating position is perfect and all the buttons, arm rest and steering wheel all feel in a much better place. I did a quick measurement and calculated the seating position to be 17cm lower than the original.

I then decided to fit my Sabelt Steering wheel & cruise control bracket, Not many pics of the actual process however I followed a good video which I found on youtube, I've yet to check all the functions of the bracket but I've done the hard part and tidying it up/getting it working shouldn't be too much of an issue.

IMG_3362.JPG

The steering wheel feels so much better, and I like that fact the cruise control etc still works.

IMG_3369.JPG

So very pleased!

Tom

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I really fancy a set of those seats, but i don't think they would be that comfy for longer journeys.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I really fancy a set of those seats, but i don't think they would be that comfy for longer journeys.

I got these second hand. They are entry level seats but even brand new I think they are only cheap. I've only driven it around the block but they seem comfy.

It will look awesome once it's all done, the steering wheels looks great!

Cheers Mate! I'm really pleased, there are a small issues which need sorting and then some fixing points for the harnesses and then it'll be done!

Bloody lovely.

Cheers mate.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
This car looks epic.

You're literally 10 minutes down the road from me so I'll keep an eye out for you.

There's a brunch meet at North Weald on Sunday 20th of August if you fancy convoying over?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
This car looks epic.

You're literally 10 minutes down the road from me so I'll keep an eye out for you.

There's a brunch meet at North Weald on Sunday 20th of August if you fancy convoying over?

Thanks.

I did read about the meet the other thread, I will try to pop along especially as its so close to home.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Great write up.Glad you're happy with the new driving position.
Car looks amazing too.

Jon

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Since my last update I've been to the Nurburgring for a long weekend, I was initially trying to get my Clio completed prior to the trip but I unfortunately ran out of time.

I've now order the items required to fit the harnesses to the Clio and I've also managed to jump on a group buy run by CSOC Scotland for a PMS Shifter which should hopefully arrive shortly. Once this has been fitted I'm happy with the Clio's spec and will just carry out the usual maintenance, although I will upgrade parts when carrying out maintenance.

The spec once I've fitted all the parts above is as follows:

Spec Sheet
Car

2005 Renault Clio Renaultsport 182 Cup
Racing Blue (J45)

Suspension & Handling

GAZ GHA Coilovers 350lbs front & 250lbs rear
15” Speedline 2118’s in Candy Red
Giti GTR2 Semi Slicks Tyres
20mm H&R DRA Spacers (front)
TPi Anodised wheel bolts
Powerflex dogbone mount

Brakes
Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads
Brembo HC Disc
OEM Standard rear discs & pads
ATE Super 200 fluid
HEL Braided hoses front & rear

Engine
Phase 1 airbox
Scorpion Rs Exhaust
De-cat pipe
Pure Motorsport precision gear linkage

Interiour
Corbeau Clubsport Bucketseats on XBD X-Low subframes
Sabelt Clubman 6 point harnesses
Schroth B23A harness brackets
Safety Devices RO17 rear cage
Sabelt Renault Sport Steering wheel with Cruise Control bracket

Hopefully more updates after this weekend once I've fitted the harnesses.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
This weekend I managed to get a few free hours and I managed to fit the harnesses.

I still need to spend a bit of time adjusting the shoulder straps but the hard work is done, I'll let the pics do the talking:

I measured up on the passenger side and luckily where I wanted to drill was a good inch away from the pipes:

IMG_3697.JPG

The crotch strap/belt was fitted using eye bolts:

IMG_3699.JPG

As I want to retain the carpet I cut away at both the underlay and carpet so the bolts where mounted directly to the floor:

IMG_3702.JPG

I used a bead of silicone to help keep the water out:

IMG_3709.JPG

Finally the two brackets fitted:

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

I plan on painting the brackets under the car to help protect them a little.

How they look:

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

As you can also see in the final pic I also managed to grab a boot mat which covers the rear passenger seats also.

Hopefully one night this week I'll finalise the harness position and then all I need is tracking and I'm ready for my first track day in the Clio. I've booked on for an evening session on Wednesday 16th August 2017 so only two weeks to ensure all is done.

Clio 172
Looking good Tom!
I have the PMS shifter fitted to mine, lovely piece of kit!:hearteyes: I have a ph1 airbox waiting to be fitted to mine, is it a improvement over the ph2 airbox?
See you on the 16th:cool:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Looking good Tom!
I have the PMS shifter fitted to mine, lovely piece of kit!:hearteyes: I have a ph1 airbox waiting to be fitted to mine, is it a improvement over the ph2 airbox?
See you on the 16th:cool:

How was fitting the PMS Josh? I've read @NorthloopCup advice about using cable ties to keep it as far left as possible, but I'm still a little nervous about f*cking it up! How long did it take you to fit yours?

Regarding the airbox unfortunately I dont have a comparison as I've never driver another Clio and mine came with this airbox.

Look forward to seeing you at Snetterton.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
How was fitting the PMS Josh? I've read @NorthloopCup advice about using cable ties to keep it as far left as possible, but I'm still a little nervous about f*cking it up! How long did it take you to fit yours?

Regarding the airbox unfortunately I dont have a comparison as I've never driver another Clio and mine came with this airbox.

Look forward to seeing you at Snetterton.
You'll not f**k it up mate even if you don't follow my recommendations tbh. You just might find that gear selection isn't so easy and needs another pair of hands to adjust it.

Regards the ph1 airbox, I originally had a v6 item and there was more induction noise for definite. I also had the airbox mounted directly on to the end of the throttle body.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
You'll not f**k it up mate even if you don't follow my recommendations tbh. You just might find that gear selection isn't so easy and needs another pair of hands to adjust it.

Regards the ph1 airbox, I originally had a v6 item and there was more induction noise for definite. I also had the airbox mounted directly on to the end of the throttle body.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give fitting a go and then in a worse case I'll just need some help adjusting the selection.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
My PMS (Pure Motorsport) Shifter arrived yesterday and I can't wait to get it fitted.

IMG_3721.JPG

In away this weekend but I'll try and get it fitted on Thursday/Friday evening.

My MOT is fast approaching and I've managed to get it booked in for Saturday 12th August 2017 so fingers crossed all goes well. TBH the car has only done around 1,500 miles in a year so fingers crossed all is well.

Hopefully next update will be with it all fitted.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Alignment Done - Elite Rainham

So on Friday I popped to Elite in Rainham (Essex) to get the alignment done, a mixed review. I like the fact you can just turn up and get the alignment done without any prior booking yet I was at Elite for almost 4 hours and they were far from busy. The time didn't bother me too much as I had my laptop and they have WIFI so I was able to do some work however the lack of updates and forgetting to re-balance wheels didn't fill me with confidence.

I'm far from an expert in suspensions, my only knowledge is a bit of internet research but they didn't fill me with confidence with advising on the set up, however the car drives so much better than before so I can't moan too much! I'll let the pics do the talking:

Prior to being set up:

IMG_3758.JPG

As said above I'm no expert but I'm not sure the above was a great. I advised Elite the purpose of the car I was advised by them to run between 1.30 & 1.45 camber and this is the final outcome and they would sort out the toe!

After:

IMG_3757.JPG

I've only driven it home but its much nicer to drive on the road and next Tuesday evening I'm on track so I'll be able to see how it handles and I can tweak the setup accordingly there after.

For those that are interested Elite charged me £116 for the following:

• Wheels alignment
  • Wheel balance (all four)
  • Camber Adjustment

Finally my 100 red cable ties arrived so I was able to finish the harnesses:

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

Finally tomorrow night I'm popping over to see @Scrooge to get the PMS shifter fitted (oh I must pick up some sealant) and then on Saturday morning the car is in for its MOT, so fingers crossed all goes well.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Looking great. I honestly think I'd s**t with excitement if I saw another track spec RB on the road! I haven't seen another RB (other than pre-arranged/meets) since I've owned mine in over 2 years!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Looking great. I honestly think I'd s**t with excitement if I saw another track spec RB on the road! I haven't seen another RB (other than pre-arranged/meets) since I've owned mine in over 2 years!

I don't think mine is quite track spec yet, I'm aiming for more Clubsport Spec!

We're fairly local to each other so I'm sure we'll cross paths one day, no doubt when in our "normal" cars!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
You won't be disappointed by the PMS, I had mine fitted this weekend :up:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
You won't be disappointed by the PMS, I had mine fitted this weekend :up:

I can't wait tbh. I'm really pleased as I have the newer silver shifter which looks better IMO. How long did it take you to fit? and do you have any tips?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I can't wait tbh. I'm really pleased as I have the newer silver shifter which looks better IMO. How long did it take you to fit? and do you have any tips?

The fitting is pretty straightforward, although someone else actually fitted it :smile: I was there though, it's the adjustment that takes the time, we got it so that all 5 gears are perfect and reverse needs a little gentle persuasion at the minute, am hoping to tweak again, it's best if someone can sit in the car and someone else can adjust, I sat in the car, makes it a quicker process. You also have to bend some of the heatshield that it runs through to make sure it doesn't hit anything.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
MOT Passed

So another busy weekend on the Clio. First thing Saturday morning I had my MOT and I'm pleased to report it passed. Nothing major to report but was great to have a real look under the car while standing up rather than on my back!

A few pics from the MOT:
IMG_3827.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

I then went home and finished undersealing the welded sections where the cage removed the original protection, however forgot to take any pics!

I do have further updates but will await until I have some pics, but in a quick summary of events:

• PMS Shifter kits is now fitted (indifferent review at present) thanks for fitting @Scrooge
  • TD's Pro Race 1.2's purchased (with Toyo R888r)
  • Track day preparation began
  • Ordered new tyres for the 2118's (should arrive this week all things being well)

Anyway I have another 12 months of motor to worry about now so hopefully I can get on track more often. TBC...