ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 EDC v Meg 250 cup better daily/track car

Not driven either yet, but I'm really torn between the 2 cars I've shortlisted for a £10k budget. I want a nice daily that is civilized when I'm not in the mood, but can do a bit on track without throwing a load of mods at it, in fact decent brakes and tyres only, then maybe a remap once bored. I know the Meg cup would do the latter brilliantly but just not sure if it could cope well as a daily doing near 15k miles a year. Whereas I think the Clio with the auto box would be great as a mile muncher, but wouldn't be all that great on track as Ive never come across one on track that really impressed me, whereas with the Meg it was just a case of move over and let them go...

Long shot but has anyone actually owned both as a daily and used both on track?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not driven either.

At a pure guess, the megane.

I know people like the EDC but i know i wouldnt. That and its a matter of time before it fails, French and all that lol

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Clio for the road purely for EDC and being a bit more comfy. Saying that i have done 25-30k annually in my Megane and its not too bad, Well when it was still closer to stock. Just a bit heavier on consumables obviously.

Stock for stock on track though, megane everyday. Im yet to see a fast EDC on track here. Few over at the Ring doing fast times but mostly on coilovers etc.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Megane. But I am biased and not driven a new Clio yet! Megane puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Lets be realistic.

Clio.

Why? You will ALWAYS spend more time with it on the road than on the track, therefore the Clio is the obvious choice as it's a much better daily. Auto, 5 doors, fuel economy, size.

Anyone who chooses the Megane doesn't actually want or need a decent daily.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
In reality, the Clio is probably slightly easier to live with on the road, thanks to the auto box and slightly less aggressive set up. I did 16k in a year in my Megane without any problems though. It's a bit stiffer but, for a hatchback, it feels pretty special. The Clio feels competent but a bit ordinary in comparison.

Ultimately, one of them is regarded as basically the greatest hot hatch of its era. The other is the Clio. I would choose the Megane 1000 times over.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Does the Clio come with a diff as standard?

Those with the cup pack have a mechanical LSD.

I would say two completely different cars, the Megane vs Clio. Like everything in life we all like different things! What some want or need in a daily are completely different to others. What some are happy to put up with, others are not.

Mine is used to commute, take the kids to school and their clubs and for enjoyment. Are there more practical and economical cars out there, of course there is. Would I enjoy them as much, definately not.

However the Clio is a very nice car and I see the positives of owning one over the Megane. I would test drive both if you are undecided. The Megane you have been offered looks lovely. On the flip side the threads on here relating to the Clios seem to rate them highly.

RS Clio 200
Having owned both (currently 200T) I would say get the Clio. It’s huge fun on track and easy to live with as a daily. The Megane was a fabulous car, but the clio’s I’ve had have always been more fun in my opinion. Although as I’m now on the wrong side of 40, my next will be the Megane 280 or trophy later in the year. I love the auto box on track, feels like a proper little race car and is pin sharp on response time, don’t believe any of the nonsense you’ll read from the ‘real’ drivers. The meg 250 is not much quicker on track than the 200T due to the reduced weight and auto box. I’ve left many a fellow track goer for dust due to how nimble the Clio is, and can guarantee 100mph down through donington’s craner’s is quite the thrill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having owned both (currently 200T) I would say get the Clio. It’s huge fun on track and easy to live with as a daily. The Megane was a fabulous car, but the clio’s I’ve had have always been more fun in my opinion. Although as I’m now on the wrong side of 40, my next will be the Megane 280 or trophy later in the year. I love the auto box on track, feels like a proper little race car and is pin sharp on response time, don’t believe any of the nonsense you’ll read from the ‘real’ drivers. The meg 250 is not much quicker on track than the 200T due to the reduced weight and auto box. I’ve left many a fellow track goer for dust due to how nimble the Clio is, and can guarantee 100mph down through donington’s craner’s is quite the thrill!

Thanks mate, just what i was looking for in an answer.

What's the ride comfort in the meg like in comparison?

Also hows the meg in long periods of stop start traffic?

The last thing i would want is a stiff clutch and sensitive throttle in 1st gear like on some performance cars I've owned. Had this in the MPS and it ruined the car as a daily.

Any vids of the Clio on track by the way?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Clutch etc on the Megane is fine, perfectly acceptable for every day use. Only 'weak' point is the ride, as it's fairly stiff, but that's very subjective. Best bet is to try both for yourself and see which you prefer.

They are both very good cars in reality, it just comes down to preference. Weirdly, I have only driven the Clio on track and the Megane on the road but the feel, look and presence of the Megane were a winner for me. The gearbox does make a big difference for me though. I much prefer the sense of engagement from a manual.

Clutch etc on the Megane is fine, perfectly acceptable for every day use. Only 'weak' point is the ride, as it's fairly stiff, but that's very subjective. Best bet is to try both for yourself and see which you prefer.

They are both very good cars in reality, it just comes down to preference. Weirdly, I have only driven the Clio on track and the Megane on the road but the feel, look and presence of the Megane were a winner for me. The gearbox does make a big difference for me though. I much prefer the sense of engagement from a manual.
There's a 200 at my local Vauxhall garage and the 250 with my mate in work so will give them both a try. Without even driving either my heart is saying Megane and head Clio, lol.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Driven both on the road tho not back to back. The clio has more appeal as an every day car. Nicer ride, 5 doors and that gear box.
The meg 250 is a really annoying shape but I guess is mega on the one track day you might get chance to go on every year.
Cant get a bike nor my dog in the meg so easy clio win for me.

The more I read about the Clio 200's EDC box the more I'm put off by it. Not for the road so much but on track. Now I know it isn't a race box, far from it but I can see it not being great e.g braking hard from 120mph 6 gear into a 2nd-3rd gear 40 mph corner and it just not giving me the downshifts I require when I require them?

Now I know the 220 trophy does this much better but they're out of budget and Renault don't seem to have updated software for the 200 EDC.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Having driven a Clio 200 and spent a year with a Golf R DSG, the 'box in the 200 leaves a lot to be desired in my view. I know it has it's fans but, in my experience, it certainly isn't the best out there.

The Megane is looking more and more appealing, just hope it does the boring stuff well. Gonna see if he'll let me take it out on my own at dinner.

RS Clio 200
Thanks mate, just what i was looking for in an answer.

What's the ride comfort in the meg like in comparison?

Also hows the meg in long periods of stop start traffic?

The last thing i would want is a stiff clutch and sensitive throttle in 1st gear like on some performance cars I've owned. Had this in the MPS and it ruined the car as a daily.

Any vids of the Clio on track by the way?

Hi, ride comfort is comparable in both. The dampers on the Clio are fab, especially with a bit of speed on board it covers bumps etc really well. I don’t ever remember the clutch being heavy in the Megane, an easy car to drive in traffic. One thing to note is the rear quarter visibility in the Megane is terrible, tiny window and huge pillars! I have many videos of the Clio on track, including a few spins at 70+.... if I can work out how to upload I will. On your point about the box, never been an issue for me, changes down lightning fast in race mode. Way quicker than my reactions.

Think someone has mentioned the Clio has a mech diff.. er, no don’t think so, has a good traction control system braking the wheels but no diff.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get the Megane mate.

Silver/grey one with yellow? belts went passed me today. Looked spot on.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member

You've not came across a decently driven Megane then [emoji23]

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Even after a few trips to the 'ring, it f**king staggers me how fast some of them go round there. The Megane is a real weapon with a few tweaks.

Once lowered, they just look so right.

Even after a few trips to the 'ring, it f**king staggers me how fast some of them go round there. The Megane is a real weapon with a few tweaks.
What do you recommend? Was just going to use the PSS's at the front and ps4's rear the car comes with coupled with DS1.11's all round for my first few days to get a feel for it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
What do you recommend? Was just going to use the PSS's at the front and ps4's rear the car comes with coupled with DS1.11's all round for my first few days to get a feel for it.

I never took mine on track as I'm a pussy and couldn't afford to stuff it lol. So long as it has decent rubber and decent pads/fluid, I think it should be fine though.

Definitely recommend a middle silencer delete though. Not really any louder than standard when driving normally but, when driving hard in Sport mode, sounds more aggressive and gives more pops and bangs. Not over the top, but just right in my view.

I never took mine on track as I'm a pussy and couldn't afford to stuff it lol. So long as it has decent rubber and decent pads/fluid, I think it should be fine though.

Definitely recommend a middle silencer delete though. Not really any louder than standard when driving normally but, when driving hard in Sport mode, sounds more aggressive and gives more pops and bangs. Not over the top, but just right in my view.
Its already got a scorpion non resonated cat back with decat and is pretty loud. Could end up going back to the standard exhaust if i buy it as i cba with a loud exhaust as I'm near 40 now, lol.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I suspect I am a little bit biased, but I can't see how anyone could look at these, and then think, "Yep, I'd rather have the Clio." ?

42024884235_a74ee5da0a_b.jpg
7042ACFD-35D0-4131-823A-659B6776F10D_zpsjywkywxh by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

29053791088_6e5ff2e60d_b.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_4977003084_49de4d66e8_o by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

42024883995_ce0465396b_b.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_33053952192_8a5de6ef5b_c by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

29053791038_dc03805aec_b.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_e-motions-renault-megane-rs by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

42024883905_7e891292ee_b.jpg
wp_ss_20161221_0002 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

42024883465_3c0f5fa2df_h.jpg
wp_ss_20170103_0005 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

28057074107_2baefa69ef_h.jpg
wp_ss_20170103_0006 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

40883116412_0eeea632a6_k.jpg
IMG_20170412_175637 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

I know it's a bit vain and pointless, but I have never had a car that got so many positive comments. Kids asking to look at the engine, people asking to take pictures, people giving you a thumbs up in traffic. Was surprised at how many people complemented it.

I will definitely have another.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi, ride comfort is comparable in both. The dampers on the Clio are fab, especially with a bit of speed on board it covers bumps etc really well. I don’t ever remember the clutch being heavy in the Megane, an easy car to drive in traffic. One thing to note is the rear quarter visibility in the Megane is terrible, tiny window and huge pillars! I have many videos of the Clio on track, including a few spins at 70+.... if I can work out how to upload I will. On your point about the box, never been an issue for me, changes down lightning fast in race mode. Way quicker than my reactions.

Think someone has mentioned the Clio has a mech diff.. er, no don’t think so, has a good traction control system braking the wheels but no diff.

Apologies that was me that mentioned the diff. I didn't read it properly and was referring to the diff in the Megane.

Standard system with mid box chop gives the perfect balance of noise imo. You would get good money for the system fitted on the car if you did go for something quieter. H&R springs seem to be what most go for if using on road and occasional track day use.

Ben Lowdon wrote a good blog on pistonheads about his Megane RS 250 and the modifications he decided to get. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. If you did not get on with the Recaro seats they are really easy to change and sell for a small fortune as in demand! Like already said it will sell easily if you did decide it was not for you.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
This thread is giving me withdrawal symptoms ? Was gutted I had to sell mine, but a tow car was required.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I suspect I am a little bit biased, but I can't see how anyone could look at these, and then think, "Yep, I'd rather have the Clio." [emoji23]

View attachment 13711367042ACFD-35D0-4131-823A-659B6776F10D_zpsjywkywxh by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371137C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_4977003084_49de4d66e8_o by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371138C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_33053952192_8a5de6ef5b_c by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371139C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_e-motions-renault-megane-rs by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371140wp_ss_20161221_0002 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371141wp_ss_20170103_0005 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371142wp_ss_20170103_0006 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

View attachment 1371143IMG_20170412_175637 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

I know it's a bit vain and pointless, but I have never had a car that got so many positive comments. Kids asking to look at the engine, people asking to take pictures, people giving you a thumbs up in traffic. Was surprised at how many people complemented it.

I will definitely have another.
Awesome looking car, but don't get me wrong. IMO the face lift Megane looks so much better inside and out than the 'pre'

And these two cars couldn't be any different in regards to a comparison...

2 litre 3 door hatchback with a 6 speed manual complete with a proper mechanical diff.

VS

1.6 litre 5 door hatch back with an EDC gearbox.

As we say in the trade, you're not comparing 'apples with apples'

Especially the earlier MK4 200 Clio, now I might be byast but it's not a mark on the 220 Trophy but I appreciate the OP did mention these weren't within budget.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk