ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.5 inch cat mod (almost a guide)

Black Gold Trophy
Did this a while ago but it's taken me a while to upload the photos!
Basically the entry pipe into the cat is a 2.5 inch-ish hole, the scorpion rs192 system is supposed to be 2.5 inch, however the exit from the cat is about 1.5 inch!
So before you question why I'm doing it, the reason is there is theoretically a torque/power gain to be had and the standard join between the cat and centre pipe is a sh*te design and always leaks/blows!

So heres a picture showing the 3 bolt flange assembly and straight pipe I bought to convert it against the standard setup (identical to the scorpion)
DSC00977.jpg

And a close up...
DSC00978.jpg

Cut the standard flange off the cat to open it up to 2.5 inch
DSC00979.jpg

Levelled it off and welded the flange assembly onto it
DSC00980.jpg

A quick comparison against the existing setup to check fitment
DSC00981.jpg

Couple of pictures missing at this stage, but in short the scorpion centre box has a internal diameter of 2 inches, so in order for the work up until now to be of any benefit I had to enlarge this section to 2.5 inches too.
This meant cutting off the silencer and then welding a piece of straight pipe in its place then welding the other half of the 3 bolt flange assembly onto that.
DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

I then decided I wanted the tailpipes to be perfectly level when I did the final welds as it's normally the rotation of the pipes at joins that put them at uneven levels (despite the mounts).
So as I was working on my own, I used a mirror placed behind the car so I could see how level the tailpipes were while working under the car.
DSC00984.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

Joining up the new centre pipe to the cat
DSC00986.jpg

Perfectly level tailpipes
DSC00988.jpg

Undershots of the car and the result
DSC00990.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

It's a little louder now but iatleast it doesnt leak anymore and if I get fed up with it I can always weld a new silencer in there, all fun and games!

c/c welcome! Btw I realise my welds aren't the prettiest but they're solid and holding everything together nicely so I'm not too fussed! Oh and apologies for the crappy phone pics!

Black Gold Trophy
Just a quick update on this:

It seems the reducer is put on the cat to improve the efficiency of the cat and this made me question whether I'd still get through an MOT.

However, My car still sailed through the MOT emissions test after doing this modification.