ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

BMW M5 & E36
Already thought of that ;)

Following tonights efforts... I declare prepping the inside for paint to be THE most sh*t job ever. grrr!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm only angry because my car (Which is now driveable!!) is still sat in the back of my shed with no fuel pump. Can't find one anywhere. And I'm not paying Renault £270 plus Vat!!

eBay, Walbro Williams Pump, il have to find the exact model number when I get on the PC, about 65 quid....perfect. More Litres per hour than standard too.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
eBay, Walbro Williams Pump, il have to find the exact model number when I get on the PC, about 65 quid....perfect. More Litres per hour than standard too.

But I need the whole plastic casing too as I smashed the s**t out the last one.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im gonna throw it away now...lol.

Ive got a whole thing spare somewhere, just the pump inside it is knackered.

Yeah thats what I want, the plastic thing and then I can get a normal pump off the bay. :D:D:D

Proper excited now Mr Fox!!

ValverInBits
Hai. I see you have a paint shop.
WTF. I wants.
Please paint mine. I keep scratching it while carrying things past it :(

PS, What color? :D

BMW M5 & E36
Prep work is THE most tedious job on the car to date. Fortunately I've had a hand from Squibby and Riley but even so, yawn! :sleepy:

Anyway, after a few long nights losing the will to live it was about done. The car in its prepped state ready to go:

IMG_3601-1024.jpg

IMG_3602-1024.jpg

IMG_3604-1024.jpg

IMG_3605-1024.jpg

IMG_3606-1024.jpg

IMG_3609-1024.jpg

Got rid of the aerial hole (2p glued inside, filler over :star:)

IMG_3607-1024.jpg

Smooth, see!

IMG_3608-1024.jpg

Moved the compressor outside so it didnt blow dust around too much

IMG_3610-1024.jpg

Suited and booted

IMG_3611-1024.jpg

A short while later.....

IMG_3613-1024.jpg

IMG_3614-1024.jpg

IMG_3615-1024.jpg

IMG_3616-1024.jpg

IMG_3621-1024.jpg

IMG_3617-1024.jpg

Aerial, where?

IMG_3618-1024.jpg

IMG_3619-1024.jpg

:approve:
IMG_3620-1024.jpg

Flat the primer back tomorrow then base and lacquer over the weekend fingers crossed.

R14 CUP
Looks amazing mate, if you ever want another set of hands to help (not to w**k on daniels tits though!!) - you've got my number :)

polcarb into the cut-down sunroof frame looks far tidier IMO, hence why I have it on mine too. I think the bolted/riveted plates over sunroof holes look tacky and cheap - yeah its a track car but meh!

If I wanted rid of the sunroof I would just go to the effort of swapping the roofskin. Although, if I removed mine the car would probably move apart quite a bit, considering it took two ratchet straps just to get the main hoop of the cage into the gap

ValverInBits
for me, the big black sunroof frame is one of the worst parts of the valver, but I also agree with you on the plates and rivetts.

I'd really like to have a go at a reskin sometime, coops car looks sick. But I reckon that'll be just prior to a full original color respray too. My paint work is getting worse all the time :(

BMW M5 & E36
Yep as said, not keen on the rivet and plate look, and no other viable options really other than to swap the whole skin and that wasn't happening.

Flatting back primer tonight and hopefully inside and engine bay will be painted at some point tomorrow.

Yawn.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
big hand print on your paint?

or one of your motorsport sheets fell down

:edit: LOL - if only you were keeping it a mk1 colour

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
you did something sill and painted it naples.

mixed you paint wrong

put on too thick so it run

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mate that looks awesome! Can't wait to see the colour you chose put on :D

Congrats Chris, really does looks brilliant!

BMW M5 & E36
A little update first...

Primered the whole shell the other night as youve seen, so set about flatting the primer back on the inside and the engine bay so that they could be painted first

IMG_3622-1024.jpg

IMG_3624-1024.jpg

IMG_3626-1024.jpg

Nathan lending a hand, hai!

IMG_3627-1024.jpg

Back in the garage for degreasing and masking

IMG_3628-1024.jpg

IMG_3631-1024.jpg

Now here's the story, all winter I've had the idea in my head of the car being a 'Mk1 172 Cup', and painting it Mondial blue, as per 172 Cup's. I thought it'd look good, I even went as far as doing a dodgy photoshop!

mondialvalver42.jpg

Brilliant, I thought, I'll order some paint, so I went onto the Renaultsport site to get the paint code as I remember them all being listed under the 'Heritage' section on there.

Now take a look here: http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage/172cup/ - click 'Sales Data and Colour Range' and take note of what colour code it lists.

Me thinking nothing more of it went ahead and ordered my paint, using the colour code used on the RS site assuming it'd be right. My package arrived and I was happy, without particularly paying much attention to the colour as it's difficult to tell whilst still in the tin.

So today comes along, I start painting, think 'ooooooh that looks a bit dark', but given I dont know how it'll dry, and I'm not painting in the best of light I thought MEHHH BE REET and carried on.

So, as a result of my stupidity for not double checking, and RS listing the wrong paint code (it should be D43) on their site for Mondial, I now present to you my Monaco Blue 432 Valver!! :(

Even if I'd have realised beforehand, I think I'd have painted regardless given the deadline I'm working to, and the fact I don't want to spend another £120 on a different basecoat. Maybe I'll do something different next winter, we'll see :)

So here you are, the big anti-climax :eek:

IMG_3632-1024.jpg

IMG_3634-1024.jpg

IMG_3642-1024.jpg

IMG_3643-1024.jpg

IMG_3644-1024.jpg

IMG_3645-1024.jpg

IMG_3646-1024.jpg

IMG_3648-1024.jpg

IMG_3649-1024.jpg

IMG_3651-1024.jpg

IMG_3647-1024.jpg

And with flash to show metallic flake

IMG_3650-1024.jpg

On the plus side, the painting went well and I still think it looks pretty good :)

Lesson learnt, laugh away :eek: