ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 steering wheel in a 182

14999051931_e5bcf470a9.jpg

197 Steering Wheel
by Simon_89, on Flickr

Saw a bit of a bargain on eBay and treat myself as it was my birthday this week.

So got on with fitting it tonight with the help of a friend, surprisingly straight forward :).

Thanks

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Als are always good. How did you get the cruise plug to fit. I found it really difficult.

Put a spacer behind the wheel to stop the rubbing otherwise the wheel will be putting pressure on the squib where the sleeve is a lot longer

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
You have to sand out part of the inside of the wheel to fit the cruise plug and fit an m20 washer behind the wheel so it spaces out and doesn't snag the squib or the cowling

CLS, RS MEG
Bit of a thread revival!

I tried this job today. I need to go back at some point and put on an a thicker M20 washer. I tried a smaller one, but with the 197 wheel shaft being ‘cone’ shaped it didn’t seem to make any difference and rubs on the cowling still.

Anyhow, if these images and steps help others all the merrier.

•Disconnect battery & wait 30 mins.
•Remove 182 airbag by peeling away rear clips, lots of info on here.
•Remove upper and lower airbag clips
•T 50 torx bit to remove wheel centre bolt
•disconnect cruise and horn wiring
•wiggle /shake 182 wheel free, retract cables carefully through opening
•Fit large M20 washer to centre spline
•Push on 197 wheel, feeding cables gently through opening
•The 197 wheel female horn connector is identical to the 182 Male harness plug
•The 182 green airbag connector stamps straight on to 197 airbag (leave for later)
•The 182 Orange airbag connector needs a small adjustment with a stanly
Blade, the cut off the small jut out, and then it snapped straight in. See image
•The cruise controls, I made a small wiring extension using 2 red spade connectors and 2 through crimps, The 197 wheel uses a Citroen connector which I dismantled and binned. And connected them up to the Renault 182 connector ( grey cable on the cruise loom is the left cable as you look at the 182 connector in front of you, attachment clip looking up)
•on the 197 airbag reverse, there is an earthing ground connector. I made a small wire with spade connector, and wrapped it around the spline screw of the Column, otherwise your airbag light will illuminate. I added a compression washer and a M10 Penny washer, and tighten up Center bolt again with T50 Torx. (Your new earth cable trapped between the two washers)
•You need to carefully took the connectors and wires in well, otherwise the airbag will become snagged and not snap in correctly.
Snap airbag back in, reconnect battery, test drive.
IMG_1823.jpeg
IMG_1824.jpeg
IMG_1826.png

Last edited: