ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182_steve's FF 182 progress thread!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
39418971685_13759343e1_b.jpg

I think this is different to my one...

I should have taken more pics.

Great update as usual.

Cup shocks have arrived and are now awaiting fitting - the car was booked into the local Renault for the 8th March to have the oil leak sorted as previously mentioned, but I've been in and added to the booking for the shocks to be changed and an oil and filter change while it's there. The old oil coming out will hopefully look like the new oil going in :smile:

25590244517_888ea01280_b.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Where did you get them from Steve?. I had a price off rpd and thought it was reasonable.

Were yours leaking or just age etc?

Where did you get them from Steve?. I had a price off rpd and thought it was reasonable.

Were yours leaking or just age etc?

Got them through our local Renault main dealer, but as a good friend of mine works there, got a decent discount :up:

Mine aren't leaking and to be honest, nothing wrong with them! Just wanted brand new genuine Cup shocks on it to replace what I 99.99% think are currently non genuine items. In fact remembering the sticker on them, they DEFO are not genuine - despite my car being Cup packed from new - previous owners eh! Just another step on the road to minty freshness 😂

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got them through our local Renault main dealer, but as a good friend of mine works there, got a decent discount :up:

Mine aren't leaking and to be honest, nothing wrong with them! Just wanted brand new genuine Cup shocks on it to replace what I 99.99% think are currently non genuine items. In fact remembering the sticker on them, they DEFO are not genuine - despite my car being Cup packed from new - previous owners eh! Just another step on the road to minty freshness 😂

My rears weren't oem, I put a picture on here and it was a french brand no-one had ever heard of! Oem Cup shocks made a huge difference though.

Well today is the day the Clio is in the local Renault getting the new Cup shocks fitted, oil leak looked at and they are also doing an oil and filter change for me just while it's there. It doesn't really need one, but why not! It'll also be getting their usual 25 point check to see that all is well. As I write this at 14:45 ish, I've not heard anything all day... yet... with regards to any issues they may have found, which i'm seeing as a good thing!!

Anyway, needless to say what with all the bad weather we've had recently, today is the first time I've properly driven the car with the PMS shifter fitted while en-route to the dealership - it feels sooo much better now, with sharper gear changes AND the vibrations inside the car seem to have been dramatically reduced with my rubber band mod. Winner! With the heavy snowfall we've had over the last week or so around here, my Clio has been tucked up in the garage - just as well, the roads have been awful - these photos are from my weekend away at the local-ish Center Parcs this weekend just gone;

25819730157_2d6beb0dcc_b.jpg

26819627318_d0a6deb30b_b.jpg

39980931724_698523eea4_b.jpg

Anyway, back to car related matters.......... last time the car was out, as pictured on here, I gave it a very good clean and used some of the new Auto Finesse products - I got it out of the garage this morning and it looked sooo clean. You'll have to take my word for it as it was pouring with rain when I went this morning and the car is now dirty again first time out thanks to our still crappy roads 🙈 I did try and get some photos this morning while out but they are a bit dull with zero reflections as it was just after 8am on a dull day;

38880688810_384f94152e_b.jpg

25819730207_bee11b0b20_b.jpg

39980931854_63373c1851_b.jpg

Dropped the car off and I got this for the day as a courtesy car.... a whopping 1.2 engine'd brand new Clio. Low miles tho!

Not exactly like for like with my car however 😂

25819729977_bf9e3dbae4_b.jpg

26819627178_91be908c54_b.jpg

Will update tonight when I *hopefully* get my car back and know all what's gone on :up:

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Maybe they’re keeping quiet because it’s fooked?? Lol
Seriously, hope it all goes well mate and the oil leak is nout major was just about to WhatsApp then I see this update.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
No news is always good news ..... hopefully.

Take some pics when the cup shocks are on. I still need to order new top mounts so I can get my shocks and Cooksports on :D

Got the car back late this afternoon, Cup shocks now on, oil and filter change now done and stamped in the book and 25 point check done and all ok. Must admit I was very pleased to see all green's on the sheet;

25827430377_2a6dfd33cb_b.jpg

I only got some rushed photos of the car with the new shocks fitted on the way home as the light was fading, but this is how the car looked when I got it back. Still can't believe how dirty it is after just driving to the garage this morning, especially the back of the car!!!!!

39803367625_6e3d54b7d8_b.jpg

40698884471_e95a06cc36_b.jpg

40698885001_c86d9eceec_b.jpg

Is it me, or does the front look a bit higher now!? 😊 Maybe it just needs to settle a bit?

Oil leak is from the gearbox however, not something small like i'd hoped - apparently there's a cup or cap type thing on the end of the box with 5th gear and reverse in it..... would I be right to assume this is just the end cover for sale on RPD here does anyone know?

https://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/renault-clio-range/renault-gearbox-end-cover-and-seal/

Anyway, this is rusty on mine apparently and the gearbox oil, although small at the mo, is leaking from there and needs replacing with a new part and seal. At least it's not a new box, to look on the bright side!!! It's just getting to it to replace it..........

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
cracking progress as ever

and yes end cap seal on box is easy enough and I think you can buy the actual cap itself new still

Car's looking well for itself Steve :smile:

RE: The gearbox - Draining it, removing and cleaning up the end cover lip on a machine or similar and a decent re-seal would sort it, however by looking at your work so far I can see you just buying the cover brand new, ha

Either way, it's just wear and tear from age, no biggie :smile:

Thanks for the comments chaps, will be giving the car another good clean tomorrow morning all being well so will take some more photos of how it's sitting then as it will have had a couple of days to settle and done a few miles etc.

Lovely car mate.

Cheers mate :up:

cracking progress as ever

and yes end cap seal on box is easy enough and I think you can buy the actual cap itself new still

Thanks bud, have a look at the RPD link I posted above, is that the one do you think?

Car's looking well for itself Steve :smile:

RE: The gearbox - Draining it, removing and cleaning up the end cover lip on a machine or similar and a decent re-seal would sort it, however by looking at your work so far I can see you just buying the cover brand new, ha

Either way, it's just wear and tear from age, no biggie :smile:

😂 cannot lie, I will be wanting a new one

........ but thanks mate, that last line makes me feel better about it! When you hear 'gearbox' you tend to think ---> 🙈

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Started becoming common on the old 5 GT Turbo gearboxes, so it's only a matter of time before all the Clio's catch up with them :smile:

Much like the rust issues that are creeping up on these Clio's now !

Still holding up better than 3 year old Fords though :tongueclosed:

Seen a few with rust forming already.

Still holding up better than 3 year old Fords though :tongueclosed:

Seen a few with rust forming already.

:eek:penmouth: blimey !

Yeah TBH it's only the PH1's I have seen with sill rust so far, and a fair few with bonnet corners bubbling and the filler neck area etc. All in all, hardly anything dramatic for the age of these cars now.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Lovely clean looking motor that. Absolute touch with the PMS and elastic band

As for the car care. Look at ODK and ADS car care. The car would look incredibly glossy and so much better than that AF Rubbish [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Lovely clean looking motor that. Absolute touch with the PMS and elastic band

As for the car care. Look at ODK and ADS car care. The car would look incredibly glossy and so much better than that AF Rubbish [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What products would you recommend mate

Yeah TBH it's only the PH1's I have seen with sill rust so far, and a fair few with bonnet corners bubbling and the filler neck area etc. All in all, hardly anything dramatic for the age of these cars now.

The filler neck, blimey, that takes me back to the old Fiesta RS Turbo days, my old H reg Fiesta turbo was no exception and had minor bubbling starting to appear around the filler cap when I sold it - the much improved Mk3.5 had the fuel filler flap!!! I too have seen Clio's with the bonnet starting to go on the corners, but hopefully overall they will stand the test of time with the tin worm better being a newer (ish) car!

Just come in from giving the car a good bath again and now it looks decent again with all the salt and crap washed off it :cool:

40015096274_60997a3319_b.jpg

I'm still rocking a bit of an arch gap on the front. Unless i'm going crazy, i'm sure it's a bit higher than it was despite having the same springs put back on with the new shocks!!

39830246765_5ae152e732_b.jpg

Back looks fine however;

38915104710_bb1b401704_b.jpg

Oh well, we shall see! Didn't have time for a full on polish this morning so got out my secret weapon and gave it a spray;

40015096064_86356943be_b.jpg

39830246615_f562c401fc_b.jpg

I'm back in the same white '67' plate Clio I had last Thursday as a courtesy car today as my Clio is back in the local Renault again having the gearbox oil leak sorted, should be getting a new end cover and seal put on etc to get rid of the leak - quite pleased that after another week, there was no more oil in the tray under the car in the garage, so it doesn't appear to have got any worse.

One thing I was also told last week when I got it back after having the Cup shocks fitted, was that when they were being done, it was noticed by the tech that one of my rear Cooksports was in the wrong way round........ odd! But pretty much the only mod done by the previous owner, so I had no idea - anyway, he decided it would be a good idea to put it BACK ON the wrong way round as he'd not been told to change it........... seriously.......... so as you can imagine, I was not best pleased when I was told that. So needless to say, the spring is getting swapped round today with no charge for the extra bit of labour time it will take to do it. I won't be able to collect the car tomorrow due to work, so have a whole 1.2 of new Clio to cruise round in for a couple of days!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Skip forward to this morning and I got the car out again, round the block I went, sure enough, rattle rattle rattle. My OCD and need for everything to be neat and just so was not happy about this (lol) so I thought of a very simple solution. Luckily, the new gear gaiter popped out again without breaking the clips!!! Phew!

I got an elastic band and did this;

40271135642_256b37d5b9_b.jpg

40316497161_048c4bdefb_b.jpg

I then fired up the car again, let it idle, no rattle....... was gently revving it, no rattle........ the band has enough 'give' to allow the movement for the gear changes (this is where a solid cable tie would be no good) and doesn't cause any issue, but is tight enough to stop it vibrating. To stop the band slipping off, I've just neatly held it down with some tape;

39418971285_80cfba24ca_b.jpg

It's a bit 'basic' I know, but all back together with the brand new gaiter and you would never know..........

39604894774_2abe14584b_b.jpg

39418971175_f253e70249_b.jpg

Time will tell what it's like at a steady 60/70mph cruising speed but for what I've driven so far, it doesn't rattle and knock now like a racing car. Hopefully 182_steve's elastic band mod and Pure Motorsport damper under the car will work well 😂

I copied the elastic band trick last night, haven't been able to drive it yet but I'm hopeful.

Fingers Crossed.

Now i've done a few miles in the car with the PMS fitted, I find it still rattles a bit under harder acceleration and 'spirited' driving, but when on idle and just driving around normally at lower speeds, mine doesn't vibrate at all anymore...... well worth trying!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I’ve yet to find a decent elastic band to try it with.

I got some from my postman! He gave me a lovely selection!

Now i've done a few miles in the car with the PMS fitted, I find it still rattles a bit under harder acceleration and 'spirited' driving, but when on idle and just driving around normally at lower speeds, mine doesn't vibrate at all anymore...... well worth trying!

Mine doesn't vibrate at all at 60mph but 70mph is a killer!

So I've just received a phone call I wasn't expecting, right at the end of business hours (thought no news today was good news!)....... they've stripped the car down to confirm the leak and fit the new seal etc but while doing so, apparently my gearbox has all metal filings everywhere in it and all doesn't look well. Have spoken to the master tech working on the car myself for about 15 mins who explained it all to me - he was sure the box should have been crunching gears but I told him it honestly hasn't! Anyway, better now and on the ramp than if I was driving and out in the car and it went bang.

Absolutely no point putting it back together as it is as the confidence in this box is gone, would I even get it home now it's been apart etc? But I also now have a car taking up a ramp at a busy garage, in bits all over the floor 🙈

So i've just spoken on the phone to Renparts re. getting a new box and have explained my situation. When I say a new box, it's not, but you know what I mean - i've also looked on their website and they have 3x 182's in at the mo for breaking, all with low miles (including a Trophy with the Recaros still pictured in the car!) and they can get one delivered, direct to the garage for me for Monday. It's still currently on a car tonight when I ordered, but has been fully tested and comes with a 3 month warranty - perfect! This will simply get me out of a jam and get the car back on the road for now, I don't need it to be gold plated or have a sexy diff in it etc. Gotta' love these cars!!! :neutral:

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Like you said tho so much better to find out that way! I couldn’t imagine nothing worse, of out for a drive and finding out the hard way would be ultra s**t!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Do you have some photos of the damaged gearbox? Just to back up what they're saying. I'm very surprised it's that bad if you havnt had crunches? Change the oil recently?

Cullen

ClioSport Club Member
I'm back in the same white '67' plate Clio I had last Thursday as a courtesy car today as my Clio is back in the local Renault again having the gearbox oil leak sorted, should be getting a new end cover and seal put on etc to get rid of the leak - quite pleased that after another week, there was no more oil in the tray under the car in the garage, so it doesn't appear to have got any worse.

One thing I was also told last week when I got it back after having the Cup shocks fitted, was that when they were being done, it was noticed by the tech that one of my rear Cooksports was in the wrong way round........ odd! But pretty much the only mod done by the previous owner, so I had no idea - anyway, he decided it would be a good idea to put it BACK ON the wrong way round as he'd not been told to change it........... seriously.......... so as you can imagine, I was not best pleased when I was told that. So needless to say, the spring is getting swapped round today with no charge for the extra bit of labour time it will take to do it. I won't be able to collect the car tomorrow due to work, so have a whole 1.2 of new Clio to cruise round in for a couple of days!

What a plonka, surely common sense would of said put the spring on the right way.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
So I've just received a phone call I wasn't expecting, right at the end of business hours (thought no news today was good news!)....... they've stripped the car down to confirm the leak and fit the new seal etc but while doing so, apparently my gearbox has all metal filings everywhere in it and all doesn't look well. Have spoken to the master tech working on the car myself for about 15 mins who explained it all to me - he was sure the box should have been crunching gears but I told him it honestly hasn't! Anyway, better now and on the ramp than if I was driving and out in the car and it went bang.

That's not good, like you say at least you weren't driving it at the time, strange though that it wasn't whining or crunching, not the best phone call to receive! Have you seen some pics? You could get the old box and have it rebuilt if you wanted or keep it just in case you need to get one rebuilt. All being well the one from Renparts will be good, everything I have had from them has been so fingers crossed :up:

As above when was the gearbox oil last changed? If it's never then could of been previous owners thrashing it and rushing the gearbox etc. I would of changed the oil with ELF NFJ and then in 12 months drain it and have another look or earlier if it didn't feel right. Did the box ever whine at all in certain gears etc, selection ok when engine off and also driving etc?

Like you said tho so much better to find out that way! I couldn’t imagine nothing worse, of out for a drive and finding out the hard way would be ultra s**t!

Exactly, in a way it's the best result for me if this had to happen, it's already at the garage on the ramp and in bits, gearbox can go straight to them and be fitted and I don't have to transport it to them myself and get rid of a pallet etc!

Do you have some photos of the damaged gearbox? Just to back up what they're saying. I'm very surprised it's that bad if you havnt had crunches? Change the oil recently?

Yes mate, been over there today and had a good look for myself - will post some pics in my next post in a few mins - regards the gearbox oil, to be honest I have no record of when it was last done. Could slap myself as I have the brake fluid changed regularly!

That's not good, like you say at least you weren't driving it at the time, strange though that it wasn't whining or crunching, not the best phone call to receive! Have you seen some pics? You could get the old box and have it rebuilt if you wanted or keep it just in case you need to get one rebuilt. All being well the one from Renparts will be good, everything I have had from them has been so fingers crossed :up:

That's good to hear, I've never had any dealings with them myself so was just hoping it would be an ok part - had to just get on it and order one asap! But if what you have received has been fine, fingers crossed!

As above when was the gearbox oil last changed? If it's never then could of been previous owners thrashing it and rushing the gearbox etc. I would of changed the oil with ELF NFJ and then in 12 months drain it and have another look or earlier if it didn't feel right. Did the box ever whine at all in certain gears etc, selection ok when engine off and also driving etc?

I think you might be right there, as mentioned above, for all the pages and pages of history I have I don't actually have a record or stamp in the book for any gearbox oil changes - i'm sure it's been done, but how long ago!? I won't make the same mistake again in not getting it changed with the other fluids!

I didn't notice it whining no, gears all seemed to select fine..... so strange! Now about to post some pics