ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172ff v rx-8 (231)

'51, 172
my mate gets a rx-8 today, are they much quicker than mine, if i have a play will i get my arse handed to me?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
VS section anyone!? :star:

172 = 172bhp, 0-60 7.0, 1035kg

RX-8 = 227bhp, 0-60 6.2, 1394kg

The RX will have it. It weighs a fair bit more but almost a second quicker to 60.

Clio 182 FF + Cup Packs
red line at 9k - power through out the whole range, he got the 231 and mean sounding exhaust.

Nice cars, but drink oil and very thirsty on petrol. he gets around 25mpg in "normal" driving!!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
^ More like 20mpg.

They are far from fast. One thing that does bemuse me is why people will post a thread asking for the result of something that they're going to do in the near future?

Why not just do it ffs..

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've heard they're s**t cars to be fair.

LOOOVE RX-7's though, my favourite jap car ever :approve:

'51, 172
^ More like 20mpg.

They are far from fast. One thing that does bemuse me is why people will post a thread asking for the result of something that they're going to do in the near future?

Why not just do it ffs..
im ever so sorry

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
clio is faster than the 192 and the 231 wont pull away till the top of third

200sx s14a
rx8 will out handle and outperfom the clio, the 190ish version maybe not such a difference but look on the bright side you get 10-15 mpg more and your tax band is 2 or 3 lower :)

ST170
Not much in it to be fair. I kept up with a 190 version (I guess it must have been that) in a lightly modded vts a few years back. If anything I was gaining which surprised me at the time.

A 182 would be faster than that version and about as fast (maybe faster?) than the 230 version although I never got a chance to try it.

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
and who is it jsut said 182's actually run their so called figures, dont most the 172's run about 160 ish?

ST170
There's no way on earth a RX8 is as fast as an M3. The RX8's handle well but they weigh a hell of a lot more than a clio.

The Fiesta ST was about the same speed as the Focus ST round the 5th gear track. I know what the fastest car is in reality though!

Clio 172
Doubt theres much in it, down to the driver. Yeah its got 231bhp but it weighs 350kgs more! Uses oil like petrol and needs a tanker behind it!
Plus clio has more torque and bhp per tonne than either the 190 or 231!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There's no way on earth a RX8 is as fast as an M3. The RX8's handle well but they weigh a hell of a lot more than a clio.

The Fiesta ST was about the same speed as the Focus ST round the 5th gear track. I know what the fastest car is in reality though!

Sorry you are wrong, and a fool if you think a 1*2 would be close.

Start from 6 min

[YOUTUBE]gGn1oXTpqRU[/YOUTUBE]

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
In the corners, the RX8 would be gone but in a straight, a poorly driven RX-8 would be easy pickings.

My (midly modified- granted) 172 was quicker than my mates 230.

Although his nickname was Gay Tony so it may indicate that he's a Mincer and he can't drive!

ST170
Vid not available? Also, I don't need to 'believe' it when I've experienced it. Also, applying basic Maths (power to weight) and looking at performance figures the Clio would more than stand a chance.

Let's not forget that Top Gear reviews as entertaining as they are, are not without prejudice.

ST170
Yeah, but a Focus ST got 1.34.9, a Civic type r 1.36.5! A Monaro got 133.5 for ffs!

Different 'Stigs' probably with different conditions to be fair. For example the Focus ST posted a slower time than the RS, yet was allegedly faster round the Nurburg.

As many have stated, there's probably next to nowt in it with the 230.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So, 2 seconds is pulled out by the Mazda over 2 miles!

Have you any idea how close the Clio would be for the first mile, or how insignificant any difference on the road would be?

They're heavy...based on the above but with the Clio at a correct 1,110 kgs, the power to weight is;

Clio 155 bhp per ton
RX8 163 bhp per ton

So long as you get someone in the Mazda who's happy to cane it to the limiter in every gear...it would just edge it, but the Clio is always going to be as good as stuck to its arse while it does it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Have you any idea how close the Clio would be for the first mile, or how insignificant any difference on the road would be?

They're heavy...based on the above but with the Clio at a correct 1,110 kgs, the power to weight is;

Clio 155 bhp per ton
RX8 163 bhp per ton

So long as you get someone in the Mazda who's happy to cane it to the limiter in every gear...it would just edge it, but the Clio is always going to be as good as stuck to its arse while it does it.

+1 they aren't amazing. 190 ones aren't that fast at all. The 230's aren't supercars.

Clio 155 bhp per ton
RX8 163 bhp per ton

At last, some sense added to the thread ! :approve:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not much in it. The hi-power will pull very slightly. They handle well, but do roll a lot. I'd much rather have a 350z.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
red line at 9k - power through out the whole range, he got the 231 and mean sounding exhaust.

Nice cars, but drink oil and very thirsty on petrol. he gets around 25mpg in "normal" driving!!!
No way. These things have absolutely no torque and there's nothing in the engine until about 5/6000 rpm

Si

RS Clio 172
In the corners, the RX8 would be gone but in a straight, a poorly driven RX-8 would be easy pickings.

My (midly modified- granted) 172 was quicker than my mates 230.

Although his nickname was Gay Tony so it may indicate that he's a Mincer and he can't drive!

well said. in threads like this... although they are sometimes quite far fetched... people seem to forget that a lot of people can't really drive. lol. chances are if he's just bought it he wont be used to it and wont really wanna bin it so you'll have a good chance imo.

not that i condone racing. bad times.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
driver skills will be massive in it and of course choice of road. straight line rx8 will pull away