ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 died on me help needed!

clio sport 172
bought a clio 172 sport on an 02 plate yday, drove spot on until about an hour ago, was doing about 40mph and all a sudden lost all power, tryed starting it back up and wont start allthough i could hear the exhaust kicking out fumes, when i was towing the car bk i put it in2 gear and theres a really bad spluttering, just wondered if anyone has had this problem and what the cause was cheers in advance

53 Clio's & counting
Does it start at all? Im guessing cambelt snapped which will be new engine time or possibly something like crank sensor

clio sport 172
it ent the cambelt, it turns over just dont fire up, was thinkin maybe it could be the coil pack??

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Check if you can see the Auxillery belt, see if it still intact. Sounds like the cambelts possibly gone, 1 main reason for this is your aux belt failing and wrapping up in the cambelt.

Dont try turning it over until you confirm all your belts are intact, you'll only cause more damage if so.

53 Clio's & counting
it ent the cambelt, it turns over just dont fire up, was thinkin maybe it could be the coil pack??

How do you know its not the cambelt?

Only reason is its very common for it to break as some dont get changed on time, and the aux belt is again not changed on time and can break and wrap itself around the cambelt

clio sport 172
i had it in gear when towing, was at 2k when i rev it went up 2 about 2100 revs spluttering it head off, so cant c it being the cam belt

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
i had it in gear when towing, was at 2k when i rev it went up 2 about 2100 revs spluttering it head off, so cant c it being the cam belt

Could have jumped a tooth or 2..

Either way, check your belts.

53 Clio's & counting
To be honest you need to get the fault codes checked, eggy smell points towards the cat being very hot, which means unburnt fuel is getting through, so im guessing crank sensor

clio sport 172
yeah i know i will have 2 have it put on a machine, but i live in the middle of nowere an the only person who has 1 is a complete waste of space, i been waiting for him to come an do my mg for 9 months, just wondered if any1 has had this problem before so i could try changing a few parts while i wait to have it checked

53 Clio's & counting
well it could be a number of things mate, so it would be cheaper to pay someone to come out and do it than spend out on new sensors/coil pack etc that might not even be the problem

clio sport 172
just spoke 2 my mate who was renault trained an he says its either coil pack or the cat as these r common problems with them

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cat wouldnt really cauise it to not run, usually just fail emissions.

id watch it hasnt threw an aux belt, wrapped its self under cambelt and caused it to jump a few teeth, it will still turn over that way but smash ur valves to bits while its at it

clio sport 172
aux belt is fine, when i try startin the car the starter motor spins but doesnt engage, crank sensor mayb??

clio sport 172
i wouldnt of thought the immobiliser would of kiked in while i was driving it, an surely the starter motor wouldnt spin when i turn the key

clio sport 172
i'm gonna get it checked out as soon as the guy will actually turn up, if he turns up at all, would just prefere to have my car bk on the road as livin out in the sticks i need a car 2 get around

clio sport 172
been searchin the net an found this,
with the tdc problem the engine does not fire. the tdc "tells" the engine when to fire. as the tdc is not functioning the engine doesnt know when to fire, and thus doesnt. the starter motor just turns over endlessly

just thought it may be of use 2 some of u if u ever have this problem

clio sport 172
mayb thinkin it mite b my cambelt now, how much would i be looking for valves valve guides gasket set and bolts and head skim