ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs ek9

Ultra Red Megane 225
anyone ever had a go with an ek9? im off out with my mate this weekend he's just bought one and reckons it will destroy all?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Rubbish. I'd know.

From a roll, the cup will pull. The 9's about 40lb ft down on the Cup... and torque talks.

From a standing start though, it'd be closer. Not bad for an N/A 1.6.

If he quotes the old "5.7secs 0-60" thing... that's timed from the Race Base car. Not the regular EK9.

Regular EK9's are high 6's to sixty. About the same as a Cup. I know which i'd rather have though, and it's not the brand that I currently drive. EK9's are awesome, awesome cars...

Ultra Red Megane 225
Rubbish. I'd know.

From a roll, the cup will pull. The 9's about 40lb ft down on the Cup... and torque talks.

From a standing start though, it'd be closer. Not bad for an N/A 1.6.

If he quotes the old "5.7secs 0-60" thing... that's timed from the Race Base car. Not the regular EK9.

Regular EK9's are high 6's to sixty. About the same as a Cup. I know which i'd rather have though, and it's not the brand that I currently drive. EK9's are awesome, awesome cars...

I agree, it looks the b****cks! hes one for getting cars looking awesome so when he's finished with it im sure it will look even better.

all we have done so far is lower it (a lot) and test fit his new wheels. engine mods will come soon. Then I think it will be a seriously quick car!

couple of pics:

3824177392_600f920e9a.jpg

3823370457_5e37270632.jpg

Ultra Red Megane 225
spoiler is VERY marmite. I didnt like it to start with, but its definately grown on me already. looks so mean coming down the road, its got a hell of a lot of presence. ill try and find some more pics

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I agree, it looks the b****cks! hes one for getting cars looking awesome so when he's finished with it im sure it will look even better.

all we have done so far is lower it (a lot) and test fit his new wheels. engine mods will come soon. Then I think it will be a seriously quick car!

couple of pics:

3824177392_600f920e9a.jpg

3823370457_5e37270632.jpg

Your mate is clearly a hero.

Looks awesome!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
More pics now! That could be mint! I think it's pulling the spoiler off easy!

Hero you say Turner? I agree!

About 7.9 to sixty with that stupid ironing board on the rear! get rid, will be doing no favours for fuel economy either!

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Hi guys,

New the forum....

I have just sold my Civic EK9 1998 on 86,000k - Needed some cash to start a new business. Ended up with an 01 Clio 172 on 46k miles to keep me going.

I have done about 200 miles in the clio thus far.

Honestly, the EK9 is a very different car, the noise levels are much higher and the suspension a little more harsh.

My EK9 has a stage one tune all HKS parts, and was running 6.1 to 60. So it's clearly a bit quicker than the clio.

Also never had a problem with the Honda in 3 years of owning it.

I have inherited lots of issues with my new Clio, which is going to renault at the weekend.

Handling wise the EK9 is IMHO the best handling FF car in the world, better than the DC2 - which I know lots of people rate as the best FF handling car out there.

I do like the mod cons though, which an EK9 wont have as standard.

The clio's ride is much easier on the spine and the ear drums!

Very different cars IMO.

Thanks
Simon

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
PS

Your friends black EK looks the business, maybe drop the spolier a tad! But looks in great shape for a '98!

Let us know what you think of it when he's finished...

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
I hear many people say its a good car. But can you really get a better performance car for the pound than a 172?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Id have an ek9 type R race base B over my 182 anyday. If insurance wasn't an issue and parts wern't so expensive :(

Really do love them

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Amazing cars. My mate is currently in the process of importing one too.

182 trophy
i owned a 2000 plate ek9 rx and i would say its a better car than the cup all round but its double the price and older so you could buy 2 clios for a decent ek9 and i doubt there will be much difference in performance on the road between the 2.the spoiler on your mates ek looks like the origonal on brackets i would personaly put it back to standard and theres one big problem with the ek as standard its a bit snap happy

Ultra Red Megane 225
i owned a 2000 plate ek9 rx and i would say its a better car than the cup all round but its double the price and older so you could buy 2 clios for a decent ek9 and i doubt there will be much difference in performance on the road between the 2.the spoiler on your mates ek looks like the origonal on brackets i would personaly put it back to standard and theres one big problem with the ek as standard its a bit snap happy

what do you mean snap happy?

Mk2 172
I really do wish the 0-60 thing would just be scrapped cos it means absolutely nothing. I mean how often do u actually race from a standstill and even if u do how many times do u think youll actually achieve the figure thats given for the car. Most wont cos u need a pretty much perfect start!! and im not talking about reno figures im talking about the likes of evo mag etc that abuse the car to get their figures.
A true test is the one that most will do which is along the lines of 30-100/120mph.
0.5 secs quicker in the real world is none existant

182 trophy
Pasty Re: 172 cup vs ek9
Quote:

what do you mean snap happy?

i mean the back end is a bit twitchy on the limit with not a lot of feed back when they go.i never span mine when i had it but ive got 3 other mates with them and all have said the same unlike my dc2 which had a lot more feed back on the limit

Civic Si
I've had a little play with a 172 cup and there's nothing in it tbh.
I had a Williams before my EK and imo, the EK handles better and is certainly more fun to drive which is quite a statement!

MCS R56
I really do wish the 0-60 thing would just be scrapped cos it means absolutely nothing. I mean how often do u actually race from a standstill and even if u do how many times do u think youll actually achieve the figure thats given for the car. Most wont cos u need a pretty much perfect start!! and im not talking about reno figures im talking about the likes of evo mag etc that abuse the car to get their figures.
A true test is the one that most will do which is along the lines of 30-100/120mph.
0.5 secs quicker in the real world is none existant

Hear ya!

Ultra Red Megane 225
how much do you class as lots then Pasty?

i dont know figures, but i do know that the clio feels like its got much more grunt low down in the revs, and overtaking quickly at motorway speeds (65-85 mph) feels easier in the clio and doesnt feel like you have to change down a gear.

Hello guys....

Any old timers remember me? ;)

Used to have a 1.2 16v Clio on a Y plate. Lots of tasteful mods. Then moved to a 275hp Starlet turbo.

Well now I have an EK9 too :)

No way I can really fault the car, except for the relative low torque in stock form. However, I have changed to a B18C engine from an Integra which is a straight swap.

Due to the increased displacement is picks up a lot faster now and is easier to driver. I can not directly compare to a 172 though, as I never ended up owning one.

You can view any pictures and see my progress since I bought it back in January at my blog: http://project-touge.blogspot.com