ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup shocks & new springs

mk1 Octavia VRS
Hi guys,One of my front shocks is leaking so I'm going to replace both front shocks with genuine new 172 cup shocks. Should I replace the bolts when replacing the shocks? The old ones look well rusted on!I'll also probably get some new springs while I'm replacing the shocks, at the moment either Cooksports (depending when back in stock) or Eibach Pro-kit. In case the Cooksports are going to be too long does anyone know the cheapest place to get the Eibachs from? Cheapest I've found so far is Kam Racing at £172 delivered.

Cup In bits
Get two new ones and a pair of Eibach camber bolts, it will work out cheaper as iirc the shocker bolts are over £10 retail. The bolts are usually alright, have had a couple strip the threads on the way off.

Eibach bolts are cheap on eBay but not sure on springs.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Springs are £172 on eBay too from DemonTweeks and a few other sellers. Might ring DT on Monday and see if they can do them any cheaper for CS members and outside of eBay.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I've received the new front shocks from Renault Wolverhampton now. Ordered the springs and Eibach camber bolts from Demon Tweeks - with Cliosport discount came to just over £180 for the pro-kit springs and bolts delivered.

Hoping to have a go at fitting them this weekend if the weather is OK. Never replaced shocks/springs before so hopefully everything goes smoothly...

Clio 197
Good luck with the fitting, despite what people say on here i needed spring compressors when changing my standard height springs (unless you want to risk a black eye).

Actually i only needed it on one side because the other side was snapped so was shorter, I dont understand why people advise different on here (based on my experience).

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I've never used spring compressors on standard cup springs, just push down on the top cap with minimal force until the nut is free and undo. done.............ime!

the prolines will sit very slightly lower than standard, sportlines are more comparable to cooksports in terms of ride height so I hope you have plugged for the ones you wanted?

mk1 Octavia VRS
Hmm I don't have spring compressors and mine is a FF 172...

Opted for pro-kit springs as Cooksport couldn't tell me when they'd be getting their springs back in stock. Didn't want it too low for the road but I can always swap without too much cost if I don't get on with the pro-kit springs (or just get coilovers).

mk1 Octavia VRS
Quick update - didn't need compressors to get the spring off, it wasn't under much tension so no real danger of parts flying off at high speed. However I definitely need compressors to put the shock back together with pro-kit springs, bit of a schoolboy error there. Got spring compressors on the way so will finish the car off on Saturday. :)

mk1 Octavia VRS
Front shocks replaced and all springs replaced. I'm going to replace the rear shocks too as it looks like one side has been replaced before but not the other. Should I go for 182 cup rear shocks to better match the Eibach springs?

Forester STi SG9
Yes, you should probably go with the 182 cup shocks on the rear just to match the 172 cup shocks on the front. Same setup that I have btw, you wont be disappointed! :)