ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 bad brakes, need help

clio 172
hi all,

had a friend paint my calipers on my 172 the other day and to do it he took out the pads, I remember seeing him push the pistons back in but after I noticed he never removed the cap of the resovouir, when I got in the car later the next day the brakes were very very soft, almost to the floor so I stopped and checked the brakes over checking for leaks..no leaks but the cap of the res was very loose.

I checked the res and there is plenty of oil in there, tightened everything up and the brakes are still very soft, very sharp at low speed but useless when up to 40 ish.

someone mentioned he may have blown the master cylinder!! anyone think the same? any idea on what it will cost to repair at a local garage?

thanks for any help you can give.

Westy. MX5
Might have inverted the Master cylinder seals, or not put the pads back in their original positions. Hopefully the latter in which case they need bedding in again. Also the rears need the handbrake operating a few times to adjust up .

clio 172
not sure about the pads, my problem is the pedal was quite high before, now you can push it almost to the floor, like there is no fluid in the system. I cant see any leaks though but doesnt mean there isnt one.

any guides on how to get the cylinder out and check the seals?

it is usually possible to dismantle a m/c and renew the seals, but it doesn't look all that easy to get at to remove on these

i'd have a go at re-bedding the pads and hope it's that to start with. i'd be well unimpressed with your mate if he's trashed the m/c. just a guess, but would have thought you're looking at £150+ to renew it; think the m/c is best part of £100

clio 172
seen em about for £25 to 30 for the cylinder but want to get it done at a garage as I dont want to mess with the brakes :(

reading again, does seem more likely to be a hydraulic problem

if it is the m/c, i'd not use a cheap pattern part personally
ed. see if Renault do a seal kit

clio 172
just found a place called Rentech in portsmouth near me so have sent them a mail. see how much it will cost for them to sort it all :)