ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

125 mph then nothing

Over reading speedo's FTW lol !!

I remember years ago a dudes fiesta 1.3 8v book top end was 96mph, he regularly got 118 out of it.

Clio 172 Cup
lol ive been 120mph in my 1.2 16v slip stream behind my friend, wel thats what the speedo said, more like 115. and before people get gay thats not a lie

That's a lie!

he may be correct, my mk2 ph1 1.2 8v(god rest its soul) did 115mph(speedo indicated) on a downhill on my "private airfield";), but that was with 4 people in it with a strong trailing wind, thought the car was going to fall to bits tho!

Last edited:
  Renault Sport Clio 172
i've had my ph1 up to 130mph on an airfield and still would've went quicker but was running out of runway!

Clio 182
i've had my clio 182 at 145MPH on the satnav, which is likely to be a better reading than the speedo.. but my speedo doesnt work thats why i was using the satnav lol

Porsche Boxster987S
could i just ask a possibly dumb question . . . when people say the car may not have been properly warmed up from new what do they mean??? and if that is causing problems at top end how can you fix that problem??

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Not read the whole thread but why would you need to go faster than 125mph anyway? Unless you use a proving ground which I don't think you do...

It's not built for top speed!

Up rocks
Not read the whole thread but why would you need to go faster than 125mph anyway? Unless you use a proving ground which I don't think you do...

Obviously, but if other's cars go faster than his then theres clearly something wrong. Thats like saying 'ooh my Veyron wont do more than 120mph, but meh i dont need to go that quick anyway so i'll just leave it'

PH1 172 Sport
Ive hit 130mph gps in mine and thought it was quite lively up to that. As said though its not built for top speed. Its for hurtling down a nice B-Road!!

Clio 172 mk2

Agree with that, A clio must feel like it's falling apart at 120/130mph anyway!

lol ive been 120mph in my 1.2 16v slip stream behind my friend, wel thats what the speedo said, more like 115. and before people get gay thats not a lie

Mate, i slip-streamed a corsa VXR in ma 1.2, its hard to believe but i got 132 mph i went to overtake him (lol) and as soon as i drew out i immeadiatly dropped to 110 cos i coodnt cut thru the air ne better lol, all i have done is air filter, lowered, lighter wheels and Super Duper Unleaded :approve:

Turbos.
I used to get 120mph on the clock in my 1.2 too, on that massive downhill stretch... like a ski jump!

Didn't someone once have something broken from the factory, valves or something?

black ph2 172
thanks everyone, i have't managed to try again yet but will try again soon and tell you how i got on, anyway top speed isnt everything it very rare a go over 110mph anyway it ia all about fast b roads.:)

'91 Clio RT =D
so 172's are all about acceleration then yer?

How do 182's compare to 172's then?

What makes them worth the extra bit of dough?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Mate, i slip-streamed a corsa VXR in ma 1.2, its hard to believe but i got 132 mph i went to overtake him (lol) and as soon as i drew out i immeadiatly dropped to 110 cos i coodnt cut thru the air ne better lol, all i have done is air filter, lowered, lighter wheels and Super Duper Unleaded :approve:

pish

Dynamique+ 1.4

POIDH

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Was he towing you?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
thanks everyone, i have't managed to try again yet but will try again soon and tell you how i got on, anyway top speed isnt everything it very rare a go over 110mph anyway it ia all about fast b roads.:)

you'll find its your air filter, what sort have you got fitted, i had a similar problem with mine, had some induction kit, and it was fine upto like 120, then it just took ages to go any faster. i put a different one on and bam, the car was fine upto the 140 no probs.