ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

125 mph then nothing

black ph2 172
hi there i have a 2002 172 and last night i took it on a private airfield i got to 118 mph in 4th then changed to 5th then got to 125 about 6000 revs and it seem like ages to even gain 1 mph, what should be top speed and is 5th gear sopposed to be that sh~t. it got to 120 pretty quick though. thanks:)

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
surly that cant be right. i can get mine to 125. doesnt struggle getting there much. 6000rpm in 4th is at a ton, then 5 still pulls. would of though u would keep going to atleast 130-140

53 Clio's & counting
depends on loads of things mate

are your wheels std size?
does the car need a service?
was there a big headwind?
what are your tyre pressures?
any defects? (exhaust blow etc)
was it properly warmed up?

iv seen 143mph on my ph1's speedo (138 gps) but it does take a while to get there. mines the same it shoots up to 120 buttons, but takes a while to get more buttons

so depends on so many factors bud, but the long and short of it is i would limage you should be able to see 135 on the speedo

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
hi there i have a 2002 172 and last night i took it on a private airfield i got to 118 mph in 4th then changed to 5th then got to 125 about 6000 revs and it seem like ages to even gain 1 mph, what should be top speed and is 5th gear sopposed to be that sh~t. it got to 120 pretty quick though. thanks:)

should be faster than that pal.

may be fecked :)

black ph2 172
everything seemed fine drove home from work about 15 mins then to the air field so was nice and warm, standered size wheels tire pressures spot on, i might try again tonight, ill be happy if i can see 135-138, it can be pretty windy on a wide open airfield so could be that, i thought it would keep pulling in 5th but it just seemed to struggle.

53 Clio's & counting
weird mate, as long as its private land then give it another go if you want, should pull a lil more than that really

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Never got above 125 in my ph1 for a while, then all of a sudden I was hitting 135 and stuff without even meaning it, must be to do with warming the engine up like a b**ch?

You need NOS mate !!

FAST_AND_THE_FURIOUS-15.jpg

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
lol ive been 120mph in my 1.2 16v slip stream behind my friend, wel thats what the speedo said, more like 115. and before people get gay thats not a lie

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had my old 1.4 showing 125 once, a few 1.2 16v have hit their limiter at 127. Obv with speedo error you can probably take 10mph off.

Someone once took my ph1 to 140 showing but again after 120-125 it struggles.

i hit 115 on the speedo slipstream yesterday in my 1.4 meg which im sure is just the same 100 bhp as the clio and it was still pulling

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
might be a gear box problem, hope not for your sake mate. Same as every1 else really, rapid to 125 then slow to 140. i backed off at 140 (would like to think it would get a few more mph, cold weather helped i think)

I had my old 1.2 to 112mph on the clock, so im guessin with the slipstream 120 isnt too impossible

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If 5th was broken you'd know about it, its not only going to be broken when above 6k!!

And if there was a sticking caliper the effect of it will be greater as the cars power fights against the air.

Im sure I remember something about if you have a 200mph car and want to go 20mph faster you're gonna need 100bhp more. Not saying the figures are gospel but the theorey is right.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol ive been 120mph in my 1.2 16v slip stream behind my friend, wel thats what the speedo said, more like 115. and before people get gay thats not a lie

That's a lie!

my old 1.2 16v used to hit 114mph gps which was 120mph on the speedo, tried time and time again to get 115mph but it just wouldnt do it hehe so it is possible!

my 172 hits the limiter in 5th if you dont run out of road, but they do seem to stop pulling at around 130ish so sounds like yours is normal, its not the most aerodynamic car in the world so it does hit a wall at a point.

but as said check your tyre pressures

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
If 5th was broken you'd know about it, its not only going to be broken when above 6k!!

And if there was a sticking caliper the effect of it will be greater as the cars power fights against the air.

Im sure I remember something about if you have a 200mph car and want to go 20mph faster you're gonna need 100bhp more. Not saying the figures are gospel but the theorey is right.

sounds like a good theory. Carn't wait to fine out what it is now tho!

M

mini-valver

Vts pulls 125 in 4th, never went above 130 as the car nearly shook my balls out of there sack.
Clio hit 135 on the speedo, thats a 1.6!

BMW F21 125d
Quick up to 118mph in 4th (limiter IIRC) and then into 5th, guick ish upto 125/130... But if you stay at it will see 140mph and possibly more. (But top gear wanted their test track back!) 172 is at its best in 1st, 2nd and 3rd tbh mate

A standard 2.0 16v Clio Sport Gearbox is only geared to 138mph

I'll point that out for all the dreamers ;)

I've done that in Belguim with Rentech mike in the car, also verified on unstable mounted GPS lol. 8 mile straight, hit a bump in the road, nearly took off, s**t us both up so chickened out!

53 Clio's & counting

really mate? iv had my gps showing 135 mph with plenty of revs to spare? are we talking about ph1 box's or ph2?

Shed.

lol!!!!!! didnt even know the gears would let the car go that fast, surely youd hit the redline.

Coming back from medowhall theres a HUAGE hill, booted it all the way down and the speedo was reading 115 and i had nothing left to give..

it generally takes quite some distance to wind a well geared road car through the final 10% or so of its top speed, so struggling beyond 125mph sounds about right.

the gearbox might otherwise be a let down (again, :rolleyes: ) but the ratios do suit the engine well.

Monaco Ph2 172
It wont be a gearbox problem, more likely to be a sticking brake

You think so? Would that not affect all gears as he said its fine except for 5th? I would have thought it would be gearbox/5th cog

I had a very similar problem to the OP in my Williams a few years ago... seemed normal in all gears, but wouldn't go above 120. A week later, the gearbox went - although it was making some strange noises before that. After a rebuild (by some incompetent prick that put the wrong ratios in) the 'problem' went away.

My theory why it only happened in 5th and at high revs / fast speed was that the gearbox was just getting too hot or the box oil wasn't circulating where it should. But that's only a massive guess. :)

Up rocks

I've done that in Belguim with Rentech mike in the car, also verified on unstable mounted GPS lol. 8 mile straight, hit a bump in the road, nearly took off, s**t us both up so chickened out!

I Was just going to ask if anyone has tested it with gps, while seeing 138mph on gps what did the speedo read?

2010 focus Rs
On a air field stretch my williams doesnt have a prob shooting to 130, slows down at 135 then just makes the 140 mark, but doesn't struggle that hard, yours could be a gearbox fault??

172 Clio Extreme

Usually a limitor on certain gears for revs