ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 gti to clio 182

Hi there,

Been looking at changing my car for a while now. The 106 has been the best car I've ever had but feel after 3 years I'm ready something abit different.

Was originally looking a golf R32 for there are abit too pricey (both insurance + car) but now thinking seriously about gettin a 182.

Just wondered what peoples opinions are about the change of car I'd be making and what spec 182 I should go for on a 10k budget

Cheers

RenaultSport Clio 182
I made the exact same change as you are planning.

Used to have Williams in the 90's and thought the 206 would "hit the same spot".

It never did, but the 182 has, great car.

pity about the clunking from the suspenion/steering it's just developed after three years :(

As for spec's i'd go for a cup pack car.

Hope you find one soon, Im sure you'll love it.

Yer definatly looks like a 182, am abit worried though cause I cant imagine having more fun than my gti

Whats the story with the 182 trophy? I take it its different to the 182 with cup pack

I am I should know the difference but been out the clio seen for a while!

clio trophy No56
Trophy:- Recaros, speedlines, V6 spoiler, sachs dampers and less weight all standard.
No climate control, no xenon lamps, dampers expensive to replace but can be refurbished alot cheaper than replacing.
FF182 cup:- Recaros were extra but if it hasnt got any you still get decent renault half leather ones, dont get sachs dampers but the suspension set up is very good, no V6 spoiler but cup spoiler, no speedlines but ok looking 182 wheels.
You get climate control, xenons, auto wipers, auto lights.
I would say go for the Trophy but i would say that coz i own one.
I did own a FF182 for 2 & a half years with i loved but i love the Trophy much more.
All depends on what u want from your car, if you want to go around a corner fast then go Trophy, although i dont think you would shake a FF182 cupped up off you tail.
If you like you creature comforts, climate control and xenons then go for a FF182 with cup packs.
The engines in all the 182 are the same so in a straight line there is noting between all the variant of the clios.
If it was me this is the order:-
1. Trophy
2. FF182 with all cup packs.
3. 172 cup.
4. 182 cup.
5. FF182.
6. FF172.
I know how people on here love Trophys so im ready for the usual comments!
This is my opinion, this is not the opinion of everyone!

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
I've just gone from a Vts to a 172cup.

Mate, I think you'll love it - costs a bit more to run however but definitely worth it :)

Peddled device
182 Cups are cheap to buy and run...theres a few in the for sale section that look good.

Just get better seats ;)

Mk4 .:R32
10k...you can get a mint 182 FF with cup packs and make some quality mods to it, like coilovers, buckets, exhaust etc and enough left to cover insurance

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
for 10k, get a 8750 trophy and spend the rest on performance mods to get and jobs a good one

500 Twinair
Trophy would be the one id go for and 10k would buy a good one, but to be honest you would get a nice example 182 with cup packs for 8k easily and then spend the money on brake upgrade and trackdays

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I went from a Saxo Vts a few months ago to a 182 with cup packs. Differences:

Pro's

* Interior much better
* Engine got a lot more top end
* More grip
* Looks less chav (lol)

Cons:

* Uses more petrol
* Don't think it's quite as good on corners although saxo was on Koni adjustables
* More expensive to run.

Overall a great change. I got a 182ff with cup packs in arctic blue for £6500 with 35k on the clock. I'd prob save yourself some money and get a trophy for around £8500, no need to spend £10k If I was spending that I'd get an older Honda S2000 myself or a mk 1 V6 Clio.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You said the cons of the 182 uses more petrol and your recommending a mk1 V6 and an S2000???

Call me cynical but with the V6 you can kiss anychance of 30mpg+ good-bye and with the s2000 wont be much better, to get the best from any VTEC unit you have to shoe it hard and lets face it, high revs equals poor fuel economy! Nice cars though

Ive done the same, youll be imperssed, my 182 feels very well built actually very sterdy and that's as standard, my VTS had bilstien's, corner wieghted etc and didnt feel as good as the 182 standard.

a thirsty one
i had a 106gti for 5 years before getting my 182 ff about 14 months ago.

pros - its a bit bigger, the engine is much more usable and its quicker.
cons - does drink more fuel (super unleaded) and to be honest i wasnt happy with the brakes and put on a country road and i would still take my old gti. thing is im comparing a modded car to a almost std 182 so not really fair.

for a daily driver im glad i swapped and like my 182 it does evrything i ask.

106 GTi
I have just gone the other way !

182 has more grip, better spec and more power.

GTi is more nimble, better seating position and more fun, but lacks the torque and grunt of the Clio.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i agree rich, but the 106 responds well to simple mods, so can end up with more perky performance top end, if still not the identical 'punch' of the 182. Its is lighter so can do well

Turbos.
Why compare modified to standard though, pointless arguement?

My biggest motivation for a 182 would be that you could actually survive a crash in one, whereas the 106 is incredibly fragile.

Quite funny that people are saying that the 182 is 'bigger' and not as 'economical,' i could get 40mpg from my 172 without a problem! Some diesels return worse economy than that.

With a £10k budget i would defo get a Trophy.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats like saying i got 13mpg from my hummer "once"

Its not exactly a Golf TDI when it comes to consumption, i know what your saying, whilst 40mpg is no doubt achievable its not exactly an average for it!

I average between 31-36 with all kinds of driving! The VTS Used to get 36-40 average