ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 16v's, they any good?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I reckon the title says it all. Just found one in mint condition, fairly cheap, fairly low miles, looks well kept. Would it be a worthy upgrade from the 1.2 16v? This 1.2 is starting to look old and tired, dents, scratches.. just generally becoming an arse to own. So, 1.6 16v.. decent on fuel, performance is decent and they look good. Couldn't find many opinions on the 1.6!

Edition 30
Decent on fuel? Depends what you class as decent?

They're cheap to insure compared to similar powered cars.

I quite like mine, it's fast enough when I need it to be but you'll get bored after a year and want a sport.

ly 182
owning a 1.4 dynamique and owning a 182 id say the 1.4-1.6 are fairly good for what they are, giving my 1.4 a good revving I still achieve around 27 mpg and they don't hang about for wa they are that's and considering the 1.6 are 10 bhp more than a 1.4 im sure they should be a bit quicker than a 1.4 one that's my opinion others may not agree with me tho but.

ly 182
how could you say that when I had my straight through system and still had 15's on the car I was par with a zetec's wasn't the cars were much different was about the driver with the bigger balls, mate I woodnt listen to what other people recon you should have and go with your heart and have what you want(y)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
how could you say that when I had my straight through system and still had 15's on the car I was par with a zetec's wasn't the cars were much different was about the driver with the bigger balls, mate I woodnt listen to what other people recon you should have and go with your heart and have what you want(y)

I wasnt saying Zetec S because they're quicker. They're probably not. Its just a nicer car IMO. Can get full leather, heated front windscreen, sony HU etc. Its aesthetically better too IMO with a very similar kit to the ST.

Just how I would view it. And yes, Im sure you have very big balls and could out run a Lambo, but I couldn't really care less.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
The 1.6 RSI mk2 ph1 always felt quite quick to me, then the ph2 never felt as quick, strange.

ly 182
well if you had read the 1.6 clio he can get pretty cheap so im taking the zetec s in the price range would be the 2000 shape a lot of boys I grew up with had them in imperial blue and ive never seen leather seats in them and it to comparsion of the price range in them shape the clio's have better technology , such as a trip meter etc only problems with the clio's are the wiring under the passenger seat get disrupted from were the seat moving back and fore and bringing the airbag and service light and in my opinion the clio engine are stronger my engine is on 112k and ive never had to raise a spanned to it accept from the odd coil pencil were the zetec s bottom ends don't normally last more than 105k

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I just like my clios.. even looking at the mk3s, theyre only a grand more, low mileage too. Hard to find mint mk2s!

ly 182
mate tbh id have wa ever u fancy,can afford to run and something you'd be happy with otherwise you'll regret listening to other people :)

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
ive got a mk2 ph1 rsi very good car can get between 25-35mpg normal driving on a long run had it up to 42 mpg.
goes very well for what it is.
the rsi is like a mini 172 1/2 leather aircon trip comp ect

the rsi can be picked up for £500-£1200

Audi A5
I work at Renault and drive them all the time. Personally I say their a bit Boring. They juat don't do anything good. I.e poor mpg and poor performance. If your funds will allow go for a 172. The 2.0 gets about the same mpg as the 1.6 and actually has some kick.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I had one for 2 months. Was a buzzing little car which never seemed to need fueling.

Mine was a decent one too with half leather etc etc.

From a 1.2 your notice a difference in mpg but that's understandable.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I just cannot think any reason to buy one of these! It's a 1.2 16v basic car with a bigger engine.

Look at Fiesta ZS range to see how you do a warm hatch.

I always loved the zetec a as well , only problem you'll have is finding one with moon miles and rotten back archs in fact rotten everywhere lol! You be fixing rot from day one now , the clio has on its side that they are pretty good at not rotting , especially compared to the same aged fiesta !

would say the zetec would be more fun to drive but then I quite like the 1.6 clios as well!

IMO worth going to look at both , test drive both and have a general feel !

As said a 106 gti is a lot quicker but obviously insurance will be more and they aren't what I class as comfy haha horses for courses mate get out and look at them all!

I've had two over the laat four years, as climate control and electric sunroof and was a massive step up from my 1.2!
Perhaps I drive like a Granny but my trip computer is currently showing 43MPG for the last 2000 miles. Worthwhile step up from the 1.2 IMO, but then I owned 2!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I know this wasnt the point of the thread, but I'd go for a Zetec S over a 1.6 Clio personally.

I just cannot think any reason to buy one of these! It's a 1.2 16v basic car with a bigger engine.

Look at Fiesta ZS range to see how you do a warm hatch.

Have to say I agree. Why you'd buy one over, say a mk5 ZS is beyond me.

These men speak sense.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Decent looking Zetec S's are like 2.5k+ though so wouldn't be able to really afford it. The 1.6 Clios are the same price as the 1.2 16v that I'm already insured on. The Zetec S are usually the cars that all the young lads go for when they can't afford the ST's and I bet a fair few get wrapped around trees, so the insurance would be pricey!

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I had one prior to the 182, I loved mine. It was my first car so I obviously thought it was faster than a missile, and compared to friends 1.2s it was a more pleasant experience to drive (by that I mean I didn't have to redline it to overtake something).

they're not a fast car, but they are pretty nippy. Mine handled quite well too with some stiffer springs.

Main gripe for mine was reliability. It really just didn't like being a car, it broke a lot. But with all cars it was probably due to its history. Good car for the money.

BMW M135i
I went 1.2->1.6->172 and the jump from the 1.2 to the 1.6 seemed greater than the jump from 1.6 to 172 despite it being almost double the power difference. Mine was great and used to average in the low 40s mpg wise without too much hassle.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
So they do sound good cars and probably a better choice than the Panda 100hps etc. I like my Clios, just insurance on the 1*2's are astronomically expensive. So would be a decent step up from the 1.2, especially with CC :p

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Another lover of them here

I also had 2, spec wise its the same as the 1.2's yes but I enjoyed my first so much when I needed a car fast I went straight out and bought another.

Mine also averaged around 40-41 week in week out.

My First:

101_0122edit.jpg

My second:

5650685576_8f012007b0.jpg

SAM_0229 by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Do the fiestas not rust really badly? Or is that just the salty scottish ones? :p

Guessing the 1.6 is just a more powerful 1.2 and a less powerfull 2.0. Everything else about the mk2 clios is the same!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
So they do sound good cars and probably a better choice than the Panda 100hps etc. I like my Clios, just insurance on the 1*2's are astronomically expensive. So would be a decent step up from the 1.2, especially with CC :p

Completely different car to a panda 100hp. The panda was designed to be a warm hatch, a 1.6 Clio is just a basic hatchback IMO.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Sorry but Panda 100hp's are heroic. 1600cc Clios are humdrum.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I had an epic spec one with cruise control, ESP, Climate control, cabasse, 6 disc changer and leccy roof and it was awesome, wasn't the best on fuel, but it went really well until the timing belt was changed and it lost its edge, I didn't realise they needed special tools too just like the 172 so just got my local garage to change it as it was just for my bird. so make sure that's done properly!

I always mind sticking to an ST170 focus in it one day until about 125mph! was good fun.

however at the same time she had that I had a dci 100 and it was defnately the much better car considering they were identical other wise!