ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v revving

EP3 and Turbz
Hi,
My mk2 1.2 16v Dynamique keeps 'hunting' and the revs keep going up and down by themselves, and on it's way down it nearly comes to a stall, and then goes back up again. On my home from work it did this twice and stalled twice, and I have to blip the throttle to get it from stalling and stop it going up and down.
Has anyone else had this happen with their clio?
If they have, how did you get by the problem, or what could it be that's making it do it?
Thanks,
James

Clio 1.2 MkII Ph1
My brother's recently had a problem with his Corsa, and it's the exact same as what you're describing (even though it's a different car), and it ended up being his head gasket that needed replacing. Check on your oil cap to see if the oil is white in colour, and also check for any overheating when your car's up to normal temperature. Also, you might be able to tell if you notice any excessive amounts of white smoke coming from the exhaust. If it's not a broken head gasket, then it could be your thermostat, or it could be your choke - since the weather's a drastically dropping in temperature, your car will more-than-likely need to choke itself to get started, and since the chokes on Clio IIs are automatic ones, it could be broken or just be a little bit worn.

Other than that, I've not had the same problem with mine, so I don't know what it could be, unless it's something simple like your head bolts aren't tightened properly. Sorry, buddy!