ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v 0-100 curiousity.

Right, my experience is that 1.2 8v/16v dont stand a chance on the straights but in the corners to. The 1.2 driver will be braking harder, later imo to keep up with the RS imo. Loosing speed out of the corners and having to take loads more risks.
Why will the 1.2 owner be braking harder firstly there not going to be going as quick and cornering speed depends not so much on the car but the driver.

Same goes for risk its not the car its the driver skill which matter. I've seen good driver on less of the limit going quicker than other driver who are turning in late etc and putting there car on the edge more and going slower.

M

mini-valver

Why are people comparing a 1.2 with a good driver to a RS with a bad driver? Hardly a good comparison. Both cars, same driver, which wins? The end.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Why are people comparing a 1.2 with a good driver to a RS with a bad driver? Hardly a good comparison. Both cars, same driver, which wins? The end.

Don't know..

Fred said that a 1.2 with the right driver will overtake a few 172s on a track.

He's right, just as a 172 with the right driver could probably take down a few M3s.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Don't know..

Fred said that a 1.2 with the right driver will overtake a few 172s on a track.

He's right, just as a 172 with the right driver could probably take down a few M3s.

so your trying to tell me that a 1.2 is faster than a 172 with the same driver? wtf are you smoking, can i have some?

Clio Sport 16v
Gps reading from sat navs etc are normally wrong due to the longer refresh rate, but i hooked my 2001 sport (1.2) up to a digital reader and managed it in around 30 seconds. Starts to scream like a rape victim at about 115/120, so all that chat about being limited to 106 is crap,

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Gps reading from sat navs etc are normally wrong due to the longer refresh rate, but i hooked my 2001 sport (1.2) up to a digital reader and managed it in around 30 seconds. Starts to scream like a rape victim at about 115/120, so all that chat about being limited to 106 is crap,

every source i've read says 106mph top speed. gear ratio means at 6krpm the car should hit 115mph roughly, but the car doesn't have the physical power to hit the limiter in 5th so wouldn't be anywhere near that to be honest.

Motorbikes
Theres nothing wrong with 1.2 16v clios. I loved mine. Stayed standard apart from a K&N and kept up with 1*2s just fine on road trips... ok it didnt pull as well on the straights but it was just as fun and with some aggresive driving it was just fine.

I recall a comment I got from someone in a 182 on the Dumfries road trip last year... "that a heavily modded 1.4?" me: "no its a 1.2 and its pretty standard" they just looked at me in shock and said "you were flying!".

Never timed myself to 60 or 100. Not sad enough as I dont care what those times are. A good driver can make any car go reasonably quick IMO.

Shed.
Theres nothing wrong with 1.2 16v clios. I loved mine. Stayed standard apart from a K&N and kept up with 1*2s just fine on road trips... ok it didnt pull as well on the straights but it was just as fun and with some aggresive driving it was just fine.

I recall a comment I got from someone in a 182 on the Dumfries road trip last year... "that a heavily modded 1.4?" me: "no its a 1.2 and its pretty standard" they just looked at me in shock and said "you were flying!".

Never timed myself to 60 or 100. Not sad enough as I dont care what those times are. A good driver can make any car go reasonably quick IMO.

All 1.2 drivers use this line of defense. About how they corner just as fast etc. But tbh when you get to a piece of road which is straight, your screwed, and its like watching paint dry (dulux pure brilliant white non drip gloss in particular).

CB600FS

Exactly, sometimes its not the car, its whos not bothered about stacking it, or whos got the biggest pair of b****cks.

However - 1.2s are not rocket ships, they're nippy, thats it.

Shed.
Yeah you can rag f**k out of it everywhere relativly safely.

Its got enough torque for the car to be fun, and when youve never owned anything higher than a 1.2, whats to compare ???

alien green rs133
im only driving a 1.2 cos im 17!!! obviously a 1.2 is nothing compared to the 1*2's on the straights because they are short of as near as makes no difference 100 bhp, a 1.2 is a claer stepping stone to a larger engined clio, unless your happy having no hill climbing power, i wish all you 2.0 litre lot would give us 1.2 owners a break, you have to start somewhere!!

Motorbikes

All 1.2 drivers use this line of defense. About how they corner just as fast etc. But tbh when you get to a piece of road which is straight, your screwed, and its like watching paint dry (dulux pure brilliant white non drip gloss in particular).

Never once thought my 1.2 was boring to drive. Who cares about top end speed. All my favourite roads round here are too tight and twisty to get out of 3rd. Otherwise I'm bopping along at 60 on the daily commute. Never had a need for 172, doesnt mean I wouldnt like one though.

If you like driving it should really bother you what kind of car you have aslong as your enjoying it.

PMSL! Leg-end!

I think this thread is fun but should be locked.

Having just upgraded from a 1.2 8v to a 172. Its not even in the same leauge. So pointless comparing the non RS to the RS.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
mine used to do GPS 112 lol that was 120 indicated

I'm pretty sure thats impossible with standard gearbox + standard rev limit + standard wheels, plus the fact it hasn't got the power to hit the redline in 5th...

No hes not lying, mine got 117...
I think sometimes depending on if the cars in the right frame of mine, wind is going with you, ur going down hill you can get about another 10mph out of them

But tbh when you get to a piece of road which is straight, your screwed, and its like watching paint dry (dulux pure brilliant white non drip gloss in particular).
TBH the 172/182 arn't that quick, stick your foot down and you get bored very quickly.

So. Recap;

The 182 is slow and the 1.2 is quicker with a better driver. The 1.2 hits 100 in 3 minutes (sorry, 30s) and the 182 is boring but the 1.2 is fun.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol @ 30 seconds. that is comedy. i still beleive it is closer to 120 seconds tbh.

lets just face it, the 1.2 16v is dog slow.

i want some one to do a video with gps prove on the autobahn to prove me wrong.

Shed.
lol @ 30 seconds. that is comedy. i still beleive it is closer to 120 seconds tbh.

TBH that's near impossible. Slinging along in the fast lane of the autobahn long enough to hit 100, a 1.2 will be swept up by a dozen panzer wagons flashing it out of the way within the first half mile :) I get your point though.

heres to the reline in 3rd gear lol, my old rat mobile, a 1.2 16v.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/inspire2k6/?action=view&current=MOV01165.flv

Its a joke it really is, today was ncie weather and ive noticed the clio getitng even slower.

i started watching that...but that NOISE is appauling...is that music? wtf

right.........hopefully this thread will be laid to rest now as i cant believe its gone on for 12 pages................

....yeah they are not quick, but i have alot of fun in mine tbh, dont care what the 1*2 owners say about them being sh*te and slow :)

the video - partially stripped 1.2 16v, buckets, prospeed, std airbox..... standing start to touching 100mph on the GPS for a few seconds before i had to brake hard to avoid an obstacle on my runway......

...the quality is shat because i had to use my phone, dont have a video camera anymore! the video hasnt been sped up, all ive done is trimmed the start and added a timer onto the screen..........

enjoy lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_8m_8-IaM

yeah it is mate, i never mentioned 25 secs, i was just posting a video to show people and hopefully stop all this 30 second crap? it was about 40-45 secs to 100 on the clocks, then 50 odd to touching 100 on the tomtom to me

yeah it is mate, i never mentioned 25 secs, i was just posting a video to show people and hopefully stop all this 30 second crap? it was about 40-45 secs to 100 on the clocks, then 50 odd to touching 100 on the tomtom to me

sorry..the 25sec wasnt a dig at yourself mate...

just the first 10 odd posts in the thread in the first pages...

I bet the time it takes to read all 12 pages of this highly entertaining thread is shorter than the 0-100 time of a 1.2.

Shed.