ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v 0-100 curiousity.

VX220 lightning
No they're not. 1.1 Saxo's are easily as quick.

And having a 1*2 isn't just about from the lights. Imagine a lovely sunny day, a nice winding road, and you're just coming out of a corner and you plant your foot. In a 1.2 it does nothing, so you'd give up and go home. No fun to drive, and dnagerous when trying to overtake you actually have to make an appointment in your diary.

My car pulls lurvly when I put my foot down...my car must be special..cos it flys.
Have many peeps on here with 1*2 been in a 1.2 16v? cos I think they might be surprised... obviously not as fast but very fun!
Iv had mine 1 1/2 years and it makes me smile everytime I drive it still.
I think if you drive it right you can have just as much fun..and its even better cos its cheaper all round.

^^^:lolup: :lolup: ^^^^

My friend had one and I was in my MK4 fiesta 1.2 16v (and we were actually on a runway!) and upto our max speeds of about 90-100 I must have put about 20 cars in between us. Name another car which is as quick as the 1*2 and for the same amount of money..... There isnt! ...... Owned

"hey man...wun point toos are well fast pretty much as good as a wun ate too..."

you chaps bring the "slating" on yourselves...(1.2 owners)...dont try and make your car into something it clearly isnt...(fast)

many of us know the facts...dont try turn round to me and state the opposite of the facts...

It's just physics! There's only so much that the driver can do when you're talking about 170bhp/RS suspension vs 80bhpish/wobbly suspension. It'd have to be a very good driver in the 1.2 and a very bad one in the 172, and there'd have to be NO straights on the track. A Clio 1.2, good little car though it is, hasn't got the puff to keep up with a 172 on track. In town it's another story. You'll stay with a Zonda if it's busy enough ;)
It does with the right driver or/and suspension even my caf with less than 75hp and a heavier engine standard has been known to overtake 182's on track.

R35 GTR
All you 182, 172 and 1.2 owners stop bitching, none of you have fast cars..

I on the other hand would hand you your arse on a plate*.

*If my car would do more than a few miles without breaking...

It's just physics! There's only so much that the driver can do when you're talking about 170bhp/RS suspension vs 80bhpish/wobbly suspension. It'd have to be a very good driver in the 1.2 and a very bad one in the 172, and there'd have to be NO straights on the track. A Clio 1.2, good little car though it is, hasn't got the puff to keep up with a 172 on track. In town it's another story. You'll stay with a Zonda if it's busy enough ;)
It does with the right driver or/and suspension even my caf with less than 75hp and a heavier engine standard has been known to overtake 182's on track.

The whole track time thing is moot. Barry Sheen on a Honda C50 would probably beat me around a track if I was riding an R1...the point is?

The point is that considering a 1.2 Clio can barely reach 100, the notion that it can reach it in 25 or even 30 seconds is utterly insane. No one is taking the piss out of anyones 1.2, just the owners who think they'll hit a genuine 100mph in less than a minute...

All you 182, 172 and 1.2 owners stop b**ching, none of you have fast cars...

This is a reasonable discussion. No one is bitching. Are we now not allowed to have an open discussion just in case it upsets a few deluded 1.2 owners?

A 1.2 Clio will not reach 100mph in 25 seconds, or 30 for that matter. If bitching is stating facts, then shoot me :D

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
All you 182, 172 and 1.2 owners stop b**ching, none of you have fast cars..

I on the other hand would hand you your arse on a plate*.

*If my car would do more than a few miles without breaking...

dont think anyone has said there 172/182 is a fast car on this thread. its just one of these funny threads that makes me smile cos its so pointless, who buys a 1.216v to race?? would only look like a tit.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my guess is more like 3-5 minutes tbh. maybe if there was a downhill about 2 minutes?

i had 114 out of my 1.2 16v on my satnav was showing 125ish n mines standard so it can do it that was on m54 2wards bham so was levelish road evry1 ravin bout th 1.2s we gota start sumwhr :p least we chose 2 join t french revalation!!! witness...THE FRENCH th way 4ward for sure

The point is that considering a 1.2 Clio can barely reach 100, the notion that it can reach it in 25 or even 30 seconds is utterly insane. No one is taking the piss out of anyones 1.2, just the owners who think they'll hit a genuine 100mph in less than a minute...
We need to find a willing memeber with sat nav and a private road. I've got some 0-100 ish videos somwhere from when i was in Germany but I cannot find them plus there not a 1.2 so there not that useful.

I drove my sisters 1.2 clio when she first bought it, same shape as my 182, and it was so slow it was embarrassing.

Only on Cliosport could there be an argument over a 1.2 vs 2.0 clio :cool:

VaVa
:evil: Evil 1*2 owners..meanies:rasp:

I've nothing against the 1.2 16v. My missus had one for three years and it was a cracking little car. I bought her a Mk3 1.4 16v and I'm 100% confident her old car would hand the new one it's ass.

But it wouldn't do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and it certainly wouldn't get to 100 in under 30!!!

EDIT - Worth nothing not to get the 1.2 16v and 1.2 8v mixed up. I had one of those as a courtesy car and it couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Nothing Munson.

To sum it up, really annoying tart brags that he has 3 PS3s (seriously as far as I know), and uses loads of scripted grammar. What Legohead said just reminded me of that. Legohead is an idiot to boot aswell. (I think he mentioned I'm on his ignore list so mods I'm not arguing with him:))

Nothing Munson.

To sum it up, really annoying tart brags that he has 3 PS3s (seriously as far as I know), and uses loads of scripted grammar. What Legohead said just reminded me of that. Legohead is an idiot to boot aswell. (I think he mentioned I'm on his ignore list so mods I'm not arguing with him:))

Ah ok. I thought it was some Iain182 style idiotic drivelling response that has nothing to do with anything being discussed. My bad :)

:evil: Evil 1*2 owners..meanies:rasp:

I've nothing against the 1.2 16v. My missus had one for three years and it was a cracking little car. I bought her a Mk3 1.4 16v and I'm 100% confident her old car would hand the new one it's ass.

But it wouldn't do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and it certainly wouldn't get to 100 in under 30!!!

EDIT - Worth nothing not to get the 1.2 16v and 1.2 8v mixed up. I had one of those as a courtesy car and it couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding!

:approve:

Nothing Munson.

Another small fry clio owner messing with the 1*2 boys.

You even have the cheek to give a 182 turbo owner lip. Respect brother.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Nothing Munson.

He deserves my respect for having a 182 turbo that doesn't even work?

Small fry Clio owner? Not to sound like a braggart or anything but I imagine me with my DCI would be quicker than most on here with their 172s on a track (nothing with too many straights though:)) Could go out and buy a 172 and get raped on insurance, but I've learnt the hard way that I don't need any amount of power to get in big trouble.

Also don't really need any power to have fun, if you don't slow down in the first place you don't need to speed up ;)

alien green rs133
i know the 1.2 clio's arn't massivly quick, but why does mine do 115 indicated on clocks when its only a 8 valve??? on a flat strech of road and no wind either way??? obviously the clocks are out a bit but surely i must be doing more than 100??? ohhh it is running on autogas to, but that gives you less hp????

He deserves my respect for having a 182 turbo that doesn't even work?

Small fry Clio owner? Not to sound like a braggart or anything but I imagine me with my DCI would be quicker than most on here with their 172s on a track (nothing with too many straights though:)) Could go out and buy a 172 and get raped on insurance, but I've learnt the hard way that I don't need any amount of power to get in big trouble.

Also don't really need any power to have fun, if you don't slow down in the first place you don't need to speed up ;)

I am taking the piss my friend.

I think I can safely say that even with my lack of driving skill I would waste you around any track straights or not.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if well set up, down a twisty backroad they WILL keep with a 172/182 no problem, i proved it plenty of times.

as soon as straights are envolved they dont stand a chance (obviously)

my 1.2 was cheap to run cheap to insure cheap to tax etc and after over £1500 of chassis mods it was brilliant fun to drive it just lacked power. now once you spend that same £1500 on a 172 say bye bye to the 1.2!!!

i loved mine and would take another as a run around no problem, its not dangerously slow, just slow

as for who ever said -60mm pi springs and uprated dampers is going to make it handle awesome, it wont! it'll be crashy as hell. i had an apex -60mm kit on mine which improved the handling in my opinion but wasnt as good as my standard 172 was, it then had FK Konigsport Coilovers and was better than my eibach 172 but not by much!

as for the guy saying have any 172 owners been in a 1.2 yes it was the car that learned me how to drive fast, and i can assure you the 172 is a complete different car on the road to the 1.2 the extra torque makes it so much more driveable both fast and slow. and the steering is miles better than the electric pas on the 1.2

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
All depends on driver talent on the back roads. Those with confidence and skill win...those without...:(