ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£1000 to make a 172 more track focused?

Evo
I know there are many threads on this but every situation is different :p

After the 197 let me down last week I ended up taking my daily 172 to Cadwell park and thought with standard road setup items it would be a waste of time, as it turns out even in standard form the mk2s are massively capable round track and just as much fun as the 197! ( if not more...:quiet:).

anyway I had an odd £1000 I've been putting away for some time to buy a 330mm brake kit for the 197 but am now thinking with this little investment I could make the 172 quite special on track. How would it be best spent!? Either a set of wheels and sticky tyres, or maybe a 4 pot brake upgrade? Or little odds like a rear ARB and omp steering wheel?

opinions please! And it is a daily so ideally I'd like to keep interior livable and exhaust note down.

current spec:
CL RC5+ pads all round with HC front discs and braided lines
Powerflex Poly bushed wishbones and ARB
Kw V1 coilovers
Pure Motorsport solid top mounts and strut brace
KTR decat with stealth exhaust system ( twin box quiet type )
CNC machined inlet
V6 airbox with ITG panel filter
Pure Motorsport lightweight pulley air con delete.
CG lock on seatbelts.
Vibra Technics engine mounts and poly dogbone!

Last edited:
Don't bother with 4 pots. Not needed on a 172.

I would just make sure you have pads up to doing track days, then spend the rest on trackdays themselves.

If you have to spend something, you could make sure all the engine mounts, suspension parts are all in tip top shape.

Actually, from reading your spec more closely, why would you want to upgrade anything else?!
Looks like you're already there really.

107 Track Car & C4
With regards to the steering wheel, I've just put a 300mm OMP on my 182, it's the best thing I've done!

If that's the current spec of the 172 - I would fit some R888's and a whiteline rear ARB...
Proper little weapon.

If you had enough left over a 2nd hand set of bucket seats and some harnesses would be a benefit too

Oh yeah and steering wheel - I have no idea how anyone goes on track with the standard bus-spec wheel lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
ARB 100%, wouldn't bother with brakes. Spend the rest on tyres and the actual track days.

Evo
Spec added I forgot about the uprated engine mounts lol!

everyone says that but I thought the brakes, although up to the job, were the first place improvements could be made. Perhaps it's because I'm coming a 197 though... I'm currently running the RC5 and was quite impressed with them, remained fadeless for the day!

And as said yes the standard steering wheel was horrible lol! Perhaps I'll keep the spec and just bling it up with some 2118s ;)

Clio 172
Necessary upgrades
Front discs ands pads. HC discs and DS2500/3000 seem to be a good choice (not that I use them)

Unnecessary upgrades but do come in handy
Rear Arb,
RSR 888's or similar tyres, (I'd recommend RSR's for price per corner)
Remove rear seats and spare wheel (weight saving)

Other upgrades for a later date (until you have had more track time)
Steering Wheel
Seats
Harness's
Solid top mounts
Front strut brace
Coilovers
Camber bolts
Cage
Remove everything out of the car except drivers seat, steering wheel and dash top.
Straight through exhaust,
Matched inlets
ITB's
Full polybushing
Braided brake lines

Additional
Oil change,
Brake fluid change,
Service.

330i. E30 Touring.
Looks like you're looking to spend this money however possible.

What you have is perfectly adequate.

Next on the list is some decent rubber, and then just spend the rest on trackdays.

Well ok, you don't technically need coilovers or an ARB, but they'll make a massive difference compared to pointless 4 pot brakes. It's a Clio after all, not a range rover.

Evo
Looks like you're looking to spend this money however possible.

What you have is perfectly adequate.

Next on the list is some decent rubber, and then just spend the rest on trackdays.

Not at all, just never indulged in mk2 modifying before, wondered what everyones recommendations are instead of spunking it on pointless stuff! ( 4 pots for example ).

Well ok, you don't technically need coilovers or an ARB, but they'll make a massive difference compared to pointless 4 pot brakes. It's a Clio after all, not a range rover.

Again... pointless in the CS way

They aren't pointless at all - they allow more progressive braking and more braking force
Too many people latch onto the "burpspeed don't need them in their 700kg race car so they're pointless" thing

I spent £600 on a set of wilwoods - absolutely love them.

I guess I'm saying, I had Brembo HCs and PF97 pads in my 182 track car, and not once did I ever have an issue with braking. They could rip your face off, and cost a fraction of a set of 4 pots.

Personally I would spend the money on something that would make a bigger difference.

A smaller steering wheel is an absolute must, that will make a huge difference.

330i. E30 Touring.
Again... pointless in the CS way

They aren't pointless at all - they allow more progressive braking and more braking force
Too many people latch onto the "burpspeed don't need them in their 700kg race car so they're pointless" thing

I spent £600 on a set of wilwoods - absolutely love them.

No matter what you've spent, they're overkill on a Clio.

Too many people on this forum throw money at buying the best spec parts before learning how to peddle properly.

A well driven standard car would run rings around a modded track car.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Too many people on this forum throw money at buying the best spec parts before learning how to peddle properly.

A well driven standard car would run rings around a modded track car.

This times at least 1 million.

Personally, i would perhaps add an ARB, then learn to extract 100% out of the current setup (tyres included) before you even consider doing anything else. Imho, for track purposes, sticky tyres simply mask driver inability on a car as low powered as a 1*2.

Once you've nailed the technique, get 888's or similar, then laugh as you push ITB'd numpties around in your standard chariot.

Evo
Adam I usually do half hour tuition at each day anyway but I'm not after blistering performance or whether I can keep up with 'that Elise' and such, just so long as it can put a smile on my face and keep up with my ambitious driving.

im looking at a rear ARB and a wheel then I reckon.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Adam I usually do half hour tuition at each day anyway but I'm not after blistering performance or whether I can keep up with 'that Elise' and such, just so long as it can put a smile on my face and keep up with my ambitious driving.

im looking at a rear ARB and a wheel then I reckon.

Cheers mate yeah just as long as I pick up the basics and don't make a fool out of myself then I'll be happy lol.

The sabelt one is 320 I think. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

Cool cheers mate :)

Clio 172
Every track I goto I get tuition. Only exception was Bedford but there were a million and one Clio's there so I just followd them.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is that something you'd be willing to bet on? At a local circuit? ;)

As i was talking to the OP, with a spec like this:

CL RC5+ pads all round with HC front discs and braided lines
Powerflex Poly bushed wishbones and ARB
Kw V1 coilovers
Pure Motorsport solid top mounts and strut brace
KTR decat with stealth exhaust system ( twin box quiet type )
CNC machined inlet
V6 airbox with ITG panel filter
Pure Motorsport lightweight pulley air con delete.
CG lock on seatbelts.
Vibra Technics engine mounts and poly dogbone!

+888's.
I'd happily put money on either myself, Nick or Ollie to show an ITB'd car with a noob driving it a clean pair of heals.

Hell, at Donington, Nick was pushing an B7 RS4 around lol, im sure a clio wouldnt be much trouble ;)

This. I was on Road tyres at bedford and kept up, well being held up, by a roll caged cup on 888's.

If that was the numpty on orange wheels he kept getting in the way of me as well.

Cup In bits
Bucket seat, harness and steering wheel, although not performance mods they will make 'YOU' feel 100x better and in turn push the car more. Sticky tyres too, sounds like you have done a few track days and are past the grip level that a road tyre gives so why would you go out and wreck a set of inferior road tyres when the cash could be put towards r-series tyres.

Having not had my Clio out in track yet I can't conclusively comment on the brakes but I have never known many cars with standard calipers that don't need upgrading, who cares if they don't fade tbh, just because they don't fade doesn't make them good.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'll happily do Brands in the summer (as long as its not August, im never here), would be nice to see my old car as well tbh.

No doubt my homo wagon will get mullered by all the clio's though :(

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate :)

Wheels a bit melted so would like to get it changed at some point just getting a big list :p