ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 sprint & hillclimb car

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Curborough ? yes I have been there and a couple of years or so ago and nearly put my trophy in the banking on the first corner ! looks an easy course but all the time is made on the 1st bend.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Aintree yesterday

Not the best of days for me but thats how it goes sometimes :dapprove:

1st practice went with out any problems did a 56 something
2nd practice checked tyre pressures and firmed up the rear shocks saw me a few tenths quicker than last year so looking good

1st timed run..1st , 2nd , 5th grrr 5th , 3rd not great then after the second bend could hear a loud noise which distracted me as I realised I had not shut my door properly so went slower again, hmmn not good but still a couple more runs to go.

2nd timed run I was on max attack , round the 1st bend ,up to 3rd a slight lift and turned in later than I have been doing the the rear started to come too far round, caught it but I was then heading straight for the apex and I clipped the kerb which pulled me onto the grass on the inside and towards a raised golf tee , managed to avoid most of it ,back onto the track at 90' then spun the opposite way and went off sideways on the otherside and came to a stop on the slope at the edge of the track ...phew thanked my self that I had not rolled it as I thought that it was going over when it dug in on the inside of the bend.
I restarted the car and went to set of and realised it wasnt driving properly as I had smashed the off side wheel giving me an instant flat tyre which is why I couldnt recover it when it clipped the kerb, looking back at the corner you could see the gouge in the tarmac from my wheel :dapprove:
I then had to wait for the recovery truck where the marshals said that they thought it was going to roll it and that thats where a photographer was stood pn the last run.

I was then taken back to the paddock where my wife and kids were stood looking very worried as alls they saw was me going sideways and hearing a loud bang and me disappearing off into the grass.

I changed my wheels over and had a quick drive and it all seemed ok , ready for the final run...

3rd timed run. I was a bit nervous sat on the line but tried to put it out of my mind and went for it but as I approached the 2nd bend lifted off a bit as I was unsure what my car would be like as I had Ad08's on the front and T1R on the rear , finished with a 55 second time.

DSC_1064.jpg

Russ on the correct line !!
DSC_1061.jpg

You can see that I managed to take the sticker off the marker post and stick it on my car lol

DSC_1067.jpg

Broken wheel , best offer secures

DSC_1065.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Cheers Tony , sprintcup has kindly offered me his gear change kit as he has it already so will get it fitted as it's the second event in a row that I have had selection problems and as we get so little time to get everything right that it's one less thing to go wrong.

Also need to think exactly why it oversteered so much maybe the rear arb and stiff shocks are too much as it's dented my confidence a bit in the high speed corners.

182cup & 172 racecar
We run without the rear arb,although it's fitted just incase.We find with the set up we've got makes it too twitchy with it connected.

We shall only use it at Anglesey as its a very understeery circuit.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a bit of a catch up, good thread, seems like your not doing to bad

Yoko AD08 tyres , these are a big step up from T1R's that I used last year as they have a very stiff side wall , not driven it properly in the wet yet so will see how they go..

Very interesting to hear more about that as thats what i have on the car ready to run...

Results from 3 sisters 17 april

Clio cup 172 ( cams and gripper diff) 1st 52.43
Me Phase 1 172 2nd 52.61

.22 behind without cams and gripper, i'd be laughing, good work chap

Cheers Tony , sprintcup has kindly offered me his gear change kit as he has it already so will get it fitted as it's the second event in a row that I have had selection problems and as we get so little time to get everything right that it's one less thing to go wrong.

Also need to think exactly why it oversteered so much maybe the rear arb and stiff shocks are too much as it's dented my confidence a bit in the high speed corners.

Hello Colin forgot about your project thread, you know my thoughts on the above, I still reckon untill your times got slower the settings were ok, thats why I'm going for the B14's nothing to adjust once set up, still as stated you got out to do a final run I'd have gone home , you probably did the same as me years back in the 205 just a liitle bit to much speed on entry, I tried it at full throttle in 4th nearly filled my pants and went off in the same place, lesson learned don't try and compete with Lotus Elise's;)
If you want the kit send me a PM with your address and I'll post it in the morning you can pay me at Harewood or later in the seson if you deside to use it.I've sent you a PM.

Regards Russ.............

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Cheers for the comments fellas.

I will try the ARB again at Harewood and see how it feels as its a lot slower than Aintree ...but no run off lol

Clio 172
Its Doune hillclimb beside Stirling in scotland, I was competeing the same as day Lee filmed this and got a PB of 54:99sec run.

http://lee-adams.co.uk/

Heres a vid of the cars builder in his old V10 powered car which he won the British title with.

Last edited by a moderator:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
My next event is this saturday at Harewood hillclimb which is excellent for spectating and has a large entry in our class of 22 ! Weather is looking wet which helps to level out all the rapid cars.

It also has plenty of info for competitors and spectators as they have split timings (5 points) and a speed trap.

I am car 46 say hello if you come down.
:)

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Good luck for the weekend Colin;)

Just sorting my new car out be back soon..........

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Well not such a good result from last weekend event at Harewood I finished 12th out of 22 with a time of 71.99 which is a couple of 10th from my previous best.

1st practice went ok but I had another off at the 1st corner ,followed by the 2nd and 3rd corners :dapprove: which I initially put down to the damage after my off at Aintree.

I removed the rear ARB and softened off the rear dampers which improved it and my confidence so was on my way back to pushing harder but only had 1 good run remaining.
I think its either the rear being too stiff with the arb on with uprated firmer dampers and cold tyres. It may have been improved with a lot lower tyre pressure which I may try again later in the year as I will have my Cup box and Quaife diff in before my next event so will need to start from where I know how it should handle so I can see how the diff effects the handling.

Heres a picture !

image.php

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Ah well not all bad news :) after 4 events

LONGTONS NORTHERN SPEED CHAMPIONSHIP 2011
1 316.49 Martin Rowe 1A Peugeout 106 Rallye 1360 Novice
2 308.00 Michael Bellerby 2A Sylva Striker 1600 Expert
3 307.22 Craig Powers 5A OMS 2000m ZZR 1095 Expert
4 298.04 Colin Smith 1B Renault Clio 1998 Expert
5 295.99 John Moxham 3B Peugeot 205 LED 1950 Expert
6 291.22 Eve Whitehead 5A RBS 7B 999 Expert
7 272.30 Barry Whitehead 5A RBS 7B 999 Expert
8 206.53 Brad Gould 2A Westfield 7 1699 Expert
9 205.62 John Graham 5D Dallara 397 1998 Expert
10 205.52 Mike Clarke 3H Westfield Megabusa 1396 Expert

Clio 172
Is that "THE" Martin Rowe ex professional rally driver in first place?.

Good results keep it up we all have off days!

Where would i find regs for the road class that you guys use, I fancy doing some British championship rounds if my cars allowed?.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi no its not that Martin lol

The regs for most of the northern clubs are below

http://www.longton-dmc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LDMC-Championship-Regulations-2011-V2.pdf

Basically we use list 1A tyres and can only remove carpets , standard top mounts and no spherical joints in the suspension unless it came with it originally.

I would recommend Harewood as its a very good event and the most northern that we go to, let me know if you can make it and I will see if we are there or may try and fit it in.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Forgot about these pics from my iphone so not the best quality.

You take your prized Ferrari out for a spin and everyone else has one :race:
IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Clio 172
Hi no its not that Martin lol

The regs for most of the northern clubs are below

http://www.longton-dmc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LDMC-Championship-Regulations-2011-V2.pdf

Basically we use list 1A tyres and can only remove carpets , standard top mounts and no spherical joints in the suspension unless it came with it originally.

I would recommend Harewood as its a very good event and the most northern that we go to, let me know if you can make it and I will see if we are there or may try and fit it in.

Ah thats me out then as i run ast top mounts and i don't fancy messing with the setup just now. Seems strange that the Scottish regs are more forgiving.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Quick update.

We are at Aintree this saturday and as its motorsports week its 2 4 1 on tickets just mention it and get a free adult ticket with each one bought.

Its the 1st time out since I fitted the Quaife diff so hoping for an improvement on last time although the forecast is rain , which I dont mind.

Also bought a GoPro HD Hero camera so should have some good videos instead of my last one.

I am car 27 :cool:

172 Race Car
Look forward to vids mate. Good luck.

You'll be amazed at how much you can keep your foot in with the diff

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Had a great day today, started off wet but dried out.

Had a day long battle with 3 or 4 of the class cars but eventually my 2nd timed run was my best and managed to hang on for the win , yay :)

The Quaife diff made a difference as I could get on the power earlier and pull the car tighter into the corner although the final drive is 4.01 vs 3.89 I lost 5mph through the speed trap ? hmmnnn

I will do a full write up later in the week when the results are posted and as my disc drives full "tut" just this one video.

ColinSmith1.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Well done, car looks to be going well.

Did you not have a gripper diff or am i getting mixed up with someone else?