ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is this normal on a 172???

Clio 172, Clio 200
The engine noise was not present when brought
didnt think to turn cd player on
in car light was not buzzing
trip computer - didnt think to check
non standard 172 clock - had no idea what was standard u just presume
auto windscreens wipers do actually work I just didnt know how to activate
wheel bouncing in first apparently happen if you floor it
rear windscreeen blade i dont care about, its a £10 job.

Bumder With A Buffer
He light buzzing is normal.

That's the fan for the climate control, you can take that off and clean it up and it should shut up.

Clio 172, Clio 200
p.s. I understand this seems like I went and was a complete idiot but I even took someone who does know more about cars and owns a 182, all these problems weren't there when purchased/test drove. I made two visits inwhich I had the engine running for 10 minutes at a time, sounded great.

182 McSportius
Ahh that explains the 2 small vents on the light unit! When i pressed on it the noise improved.

The CD player makes a clicking when u first turn it on like it's trying to load a CD. Odd cos it works fine in every way.

Bumder With A Buffer
Dude it's called sods law, ignore the engine side of things as this could be random.

The thing I'd be most worried about is the clocks

Bumder With A Buffer
as in anything that could go wrong will?

Aye u got it kinda. Example, One day there is a squealing coming from the aux belt or around that area, take it to my mechanic at work and the b*****d thing isn't doing it anymore!!

Clio 172, Clio 200
haha yeah exactly. I went out this morning to turn the engine on just before it was collected to make sure it still sounded like a bag of shite. The recovery guy turned up and was like "let's turn the car on it will probably be an easy fix that I can do now". *turns engine on* he then said "turn it off, that's f**ked" LOL and off he went with the car! Let's just hope I never see it again, but I don't think it will be that easy :(

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Fair enough then, I guess i'm extra careful about checking every little thing before I buy a car and expect everyone to me like me! It's good that you took someone along with you I guess it was just bad luck on certain things... I'd be mainly worried about the actual mileage of the car if theres no concrete proof of when the clocks were swapped over.

400 miles after getting mine it blew up due to a dodgy cambelt change by the garage I bought it off - some things you can't see!

how is this of any use to the OP?

better for you to shut your mouth than to try and take the piss

Yawn.

182 McSportius
Sods law is exactly what it is :( It sounded perfectly healthy beforehand and the oil is all good.

I'll be interested to see what it is though cos i dont think it's the big issue it appears.

Your confidence in the car is the problem now though :(

Clio 172, Clio 200
Well the millage worrys me. I don't want the clocks as they are, I obviously want fully working trip computer etc and I shouldn't have to pay for that to be changed. All the little things like the tyres being completely different makes all around, different tread patterns etc.

DCi 100
Aye u got it kinda. Example, One day there is a squealing coming from the aux belt or around that area, take it to my mechanic at work and the b*****d thing isn't doing it anymore!!

I've had that! Car was making a flapping noise when setting off at low revs etc. 30 miles later with a mechanic stood infront of the car, it wouldn't do it!

3 minutes later and the carbon cannister lid securely on, it wasn't flapping!

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well the millage worrys me. I don't want the clocks as they are, I obviously want fully working trip computer etc and I shouldn't have to pay for that to be changed. All the little things like the tyres being completely different makes all around, different tread patterns etc.

I hate 4 different tyres! lol

Clio 172, Clio 200
yep me too :( I'm going to sleep now, I will update you tomorrow with any further action and hopefully a reply from the garage! Thanks for all your support so far :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

It still amazes me you paid 4k and didn't ask about/get one with some service history...

My 51 ph2 doesn't have traction due to what's been discussed already, came in later on 53. I dont have auto wipers or lights as these where options. On the computer thing you are looking at the display on the speedo right and not the radio/clock? It's a common mistake when your used to fords/ Vauxhall etc
running issue, sounds more major

Clio 172, Clio 200
Yeah i'm talking about the speedo, goes only up to 140. they all should go up to 160, i now know.

ph 2 172
heard a rumour that you could view previous mots now that they are all on a computerised database. Dunno how true it is but it might show mileage for previous tests. Might be worth investigating?

Clio 172, Clio 200
Yeah if you look back at this thread I already did that (someone else suggested it). Actually very easy, just enter one of the MOT numbers and it shows you everything...although my car only goes back to 2007, hmm.

182 McSportius
Yeah if you look back at this thread I already did that (someone else suggested it). Actually very easy, just enter one of the MOT numbers and it shows you everything...although my car only goes back to 2007, hmm.
They only brought the computerised system in at the end of 2006

172 16v
I would take it back if I could. Yes I paid 4k. here is a list of problems I have:

Engine noise, stalling and failing to start
CD Player noise
In-car light buzzing, stops when you push up on it
Rust in spot lights
Trip computer not working
non standard 172 clock (140mph instead of 160mph)
Auto windscreen wipers not working
Wheel bouncing in first
rear windscreen wiper blade faulty (should not have passed the MOT)

ya dont need a rear wiper for mot iirc

I have a 52 plate Clio I have auto lights no traction control I dnt think I have auto wipers if I do I don't no how they work. Any way you are correct u dnt need a rear wiper for an mot look at vans for example I used to have a corsa which I removed the rear wiper on and it was no problem with the mot. as for your car mate how long ago did u buy it I work for a Honda dealership and we have a 30 day return policy on used cars against mecanical defects etc

Clio 172, Clio 200
I have a 52 plate Clio I have auto lights no traction control I dnt think I have auto wipers if I do I don't no how they work. Any way you are correct u dnt need a rear wiper for an mot look at vans for example I used to have a corsa which I removed the rear wiper on and it was no problem with the mot. as for your car mate how long ago did u buy it I work for a Honda dealership and we have a 30 day return policy on used cars against mecanical defects etc

I only brought it Friday, called them Saturday morning demanding my money back. So it was less than 24 hours that I declared the faults and my intentions. It is only two days since I brought it now.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Thank you I really appreciate that. All they are saying is "we have the right to repair it". But my argument is
1. I should have the right to reject the car if there are any problems with it, as stated on the trading standard website. It says "If you have a problem with a used car, you have a short time after buying it to reject the car".

2. The clocks have been changed and no documentation to prove that so it could have been clocked.

Again I appreciate any help or light you can shed on this

Clio 172, Clio 200
Couple of other things i'm not too sure about:

The clutch felt really heavy - Is this normal on a 172?

The steering also felt heavy, not as easy as you would have thought from power steering

?

It's A Reno
Couple of other things i'm not too sure about:

The clutch felt really heavy - Is this normal on a 172?

The steering also felt heavy, not as easy as you would have thought from power steering

?

I wouldn't call the clutch heavy, but the steering is quite heavy for power assisted, but that's a good thing.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Yeah it doesn't feel bad the steering, just heavy. It feels heavy but that sort of feels like I can corner better somehow. The clutch feels crap though :(

Last edited: