ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is this normal on a 172???

Clio 172, Clio 200
Hello, I have just purchased a Clio 172, 52 plate. I am not sure if some things are supposed to be there or not.

1. When I press the right hand stick to toggle the trip computer nothing happens. I thought a trip computer was standard on a clio 172?

2. No automatic windscreen wipers of lights

3. No traction control, definately thought this was standard!

4. Does anyone know waht the is? It came on when I put my foot down then went off. G
GAZ
S

Other than all of that, the engine is making a very horrible noise, sometimes doesn't start and stalls when the car is going slowly (not in gear and definately not stalling for obvious reasons)

This is being sorted by the garage but I wanted to know if the above are normal or if for example the trip computer is broken etc.

I would appreciate any of your help!

Thanks,

Adam

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I have an 02 plate 172, i have everything you said apart from the traction control and GAZ thingy. Plus if the engine sounds that bad i would avoid theres plenty more 172's out there took me around 8 test drives and viewing to find a good one.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Auto wipers and lights can be turned on/off. To turn wipers on, turn ignition on and flick wipers on and off twice quickly I think and should hear a beep. The same for the lights with the light switch.

As said, think TC only came in on 2003.

No idea on the trip computer personally and don't understand point 4.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I don't know how to find out if it's an import. The reg is FD52 EUE. If you put it into an insurance quoter they can't find the car, just like imported cars. I only brought it last night on finance with a 3 month warranty, and they said they don't have to take the car back. They said they will fix the engine problem but I just want to give it back

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Good point, no TC, auto wipers or lights IIRC?

I don't know how to find out if it's an import. The reg is FD52 EUE. If you put it into an insurance quoter they can't find the car, just like imported cars. I only brought it last night on finance with a 3 month warranty, and they said they don't have to take the car back. They said they will fix the engine problem but I just want to give it back

Imports were UK cars but just didn't come through Renault dealers so missed out on alarm, locking wheel nuts and window etching which where only done when Renault UK received them. Alarm and locking wheel nuts are easy enough to add on youself so could be there even if an import. Window etchings could not be there even if it was a Renault UK car if windows were replaced for example.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
sounds like someone has changed the dials in it if there is no function for trip computer etc!

i would take it back, but surely you would know what your buying before you buy it...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Does it look like this

clio_172_cup_350_001.jpg

945.jpg

GAZ GAS in a little cross shape on the dash? I'm sure that's to do with lpg systems :S

Sounds like they may have tried to clock it by using a different dial cluster and connected it up wrong.

Last edited:
Yes it has the renault sport half leather. What is the window etching?

Then it's not a Cup as I wondered. The etching is the registration number. Done at the docks along with the alarm, and locking nuts. I don't know enough about the different specs and timelines. Can't comment any further.

EDIT: VIN number?

Last edited:
  330Ci (Fail)Sport
That's a normal phase 2 172. In Monaco Blue.

Auto wipers and lights are probably just switched off then. My other post explains how to turn them back on and will say in the manual.

Clio 172, Clio 200
So does anyone know if I should say the trip computer is faulty or do you think it's just not standard?

clio 172
On the pics the sensor is there on the windscreen for the lights and wipers maybe they just need turning on as said before ^^

but if the engine isnt right id be taking it back im sure there is something called a 14 day cooling off period?

Clio 172, Clio 200
Ok just tested, turning lights on and off quickly does make a beep. Dont know how to make it seem as if its dark to see if they will come on though. Doing the same action with the windscreen wipers doesn't do anything though. Tried throwing water on it and nothing happened.

It's A Reno
Those pics say no traction control to me. :(
Stick a piece of thick card over the sensors to check the lights.

I have no idea what is going on with the display. It looks like there isn't a trip computer, which is very odd.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Also noticed my speedo only goes up to 140. If you look at the others they go up to 160.

Yozz'd up 182
Clocks are the same as my missus from an older expression.

Also isnt the milage stored on the clocks? So could be alot higher milage than stated?

Check the service history?