ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is this normal on a 172???

Clio 172, Clio 200
What does everyone think of the wheel bouncing in 1st and sometimes second. What I mean is if i'm trying to get a good 0-60 on just drive fast the wheels bounce not letting me drive quickly. Might have something to do with the 3 different type of tyres on the car but another 172 I test drove did the same. I'm used to my old MX-5 2.0 sport where you put your foot down in 1st and it accelerated smoothly.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It's a known issue caused by the manifold hitting the subframe. To fix you need to loosen the engine mounts, move engine forward then re-tighten.

Yozz'd up 182
All the problems could probably be fixed but the uncertainty of what was wrong with the car in the first place for them to change the clocks would still be there.

Wouldnt it be easier to accept the car isnt right for you and return the car incase something comes and bites you in the bum.

The only thing that's likely to mean you can return the car is the changed clocks. The mileage is stored in the clocks, so you need to investigate why they were changed and when.

Your rev dial will be wrong too. The 172/182 clocks red line at 7250rpm

182 McSportius
I thought the clutch and steering to a point were heavy but felt exactly the same as our 182! My missus moans about it in traffic hehe

Nissan 350z
Trying to find faults at this late stage is pointless.

The fact of the matter is its a used, 8year old car. All of the faults you have mentioned happened and do happen to all of us with 172s. Thats life so deal with it or buy brand new and avoid these potential issues. Everything can be put right at a cost.

The only important bit is the clocks as its potentially dodgey. Get to the bottom of this and forget the rest for now.

Golf GTD Mk7
clutch is average i'd say. Steering was hydraulic in the 1*2's so much heavier than the 197/200 which are electric. Better feel while driving imo.

If you're bird wants to feel heavy steering let her park my 106 without powersteering :approve:

Ok spoke to my sales manager and you stratury rights allow you 14 days to return the car if it's not in a satisfactory condition to back your cause contact the citizens advise beurogh and they should be able to advise u further into your case so u shouldn't have any problems returning it which I think u should do as it's not a car your happy with and it's all ways gunna play on your mind

People are too soft sometimes. Go back to the garage, tell them you've cancelled the finance and hand them the keys because you believe they have sold you a clocked car. You will probably lose your £100, but thats a small price to pay.

172 Cup
tbh for the year, the (milage) and the car, why did you pay 4k anyway! Thats very expensive!! Just get rid, take ur mate or someone with you to the garage, say its been clocked, ask them wtf is going on with the milage and say if they dont, you will sue the s**t outta them! You will get your deposit back trust me, if not then just bomb the place haha!

Clio MK 4
mines a 52plate and i dont have TRIP computer working. Well i always thought it never worked but some on here say some didnt have it?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
So what happened with this then you said your gonna ring them today?

I've come straight home from work and this is the first thread i wanted to look at and you've disappointed me with lack of up to date information.

Your just like sky news.

Any chance this car is a replica/conversion? One way to explain the clocks. Why would anyone willingly put non-sport clocks in a sport?

clio sport 172 ph2
Any chance this car is a replica/conversion? One way to explain the clocks. Why would anyone willingly put non-sport clocks in a sport?

maybe becuase its been in an accident, and hes repaired it himself with normal clio parts becuase they are cheaper? or he had a damaged clio and hes took the bitsds off and put on the sport?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If anyone wants to help me do a full, proper used car buying guide i'm more than willing to help.

I don't have the time to type it all up but am more than willing to get one sorted if someone wants to help me with the typing bit!

The amount of ''My new cars a heap of crap'' threads on here piss me right off and give me a bad name.

Yeah maybe. The replica theory makes more sense to me though. Or has the OP already said it's been crash repaired? I've missed a fair chunk of this thread TBH.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'll help u with the guide i am new on here but I no what to look for on cars I deal with them allday everyday

I'm a car dealer dude, I meant that I wanted someone who knows how to use a computer! (Cos i'm friggin crap! lol)

Clio 172, Clio 200
Hello everyone sorry I have just got home from work. I called Trading Standards, Citizens Advice and the Finance company. All of which said I am entitled to my money back. The garage did not call me today as they said they were going to so I am yet to even know what was wrong with the engine.

I have been told to formally write a letter to the garage stating I want a complete refund.

For today I have left the garage alone and decided if they weren't going to call me then I wouldn't bother with them seeing as they can expect my letter very shortly.

I'm pretty sure the car isn't a replica but what would I know! The strange this is, when you enter the Reg plate into insurance quotes it doesn't find the car, like when you enter an import.

Anyone think I will be able to reject the car? Wonder if they allow me to reject will they give me my 100 deposit back!?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
If trading standards, citizens advice and the finance company have all said you can get your money back, why are you asking if people on here think you can reject the car? you've already got an answer from 3 reliable sources.

If they've all said you can get your money back, it's not a case of whether the garage will allow you to reject it. They HAVE to give you your money back. Don't be soft with them.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
because the garage are saying otherwise and i dont want to get solicitors involved

You don't need a solicitor they were just trying to scare you off using your statutory rights to return the car. Write the letter and send copies by recorded delivery to the garage and finance company. Also ring the garage to let them know you are returning the car and to expect the letter.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I think it help that the car is currently in their possession as it got picked up and taken back there by the tow company. So all I guess I need to say is you can keep the car?

P.s. The user buyers guide, I obviously can't have any input on the data but I work in IT if any computer related help is required. Least I could do after all the help I've been given on here!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Have you mentioned to the garage that you have spoken to trading standards? The very mention of them solves 90% of these issues in my experience.

clio sport 172 ph2
write them a FOMAL letter, stateing that you wish to return the car whithin the 14 day customer garantee time for a complete refund
or just turn up at the garage with your recepit and tell them you want a refund
eitherway they have to pay you

Clio 172, Clio 200
No they took it back with my consent. I called them and told them of all the problems and said I don't think the car will make it back to the garage. under the warranty it includes recovery of the car.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I think I will know more tomorrow because I will definately speak with the garage and they will either accept the car back, or they will suggest the legal route. I really don't want to go that way :(

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Trading Standards, Citizens Advice and the Finance company have said you can return the car so just write the letter! If your not sure what to write give them another call. The Law is on your side so the garage have no option.

Mini Cooper S sport
Don't let them bully you.

If they start talking about solicitors, tell them you've spoken to Trading Standards who would be quite happy to investigate further if they don't give you your money back RIGHT F*CKING NOW (and bang on the desk ;))

The law is on your side, you'll be fine.

(edit: great minds atouba!)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Don't let them bully you.

If they start talking about solicitors, tell them you've spoken to Trading Standards who would be quite happy to investigate further if they don't give you your money back RIGHT F*CKING NOW (and bang on the desk ;))

The law is on your side, you'll be fine.

(edit: great minds atouba!)

Knowsit LY ;)