ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 sleeper - F4R on ITB’s

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
Been a long time coming on here but im not gunna back track much (full thread is on TurboRenault) First dipped my toe into French cars with a Clio 172 cup and really liked it. Sold it due to buying a house but it’d already got the taste and knew that the next baguette was going to be an R5 with a spicy twist. Not going to lie but I didn’t really know much about them and @Dannyafro was willing todo as much as he could to help me out and find/build something. After finding a low mileage car (F-reg R5 1.4 automatic) and a ph1 172 donor Danny quickly did the swap whilst I was working abroad. @Coops Mk1 and @bass_direct also helped finding some of the parts & wheels.

dsc_9878.jpeg

dsc_6847.jpeg

dsc_8042.jpeg
dsc_7065.jpeg
dsc_7690.jpeg
road 2.jpeg

End result was pretty amazing, did everything I wanted it todo… look cool whilst being quick but I wasn’t free from faults. Biggest problems were the idle was erratic, wasn’t that great going into and coming out of corners and it would wheel spin Majority of the time. Ended up smashing a gearbox up so it gave me an excuse to have a fresh one built with a quaife from @NorthloopCup. Made a world of difference but still had a few handling issues. It was was already on GAZ gha’s with 350lb springs but was still a hand full. Ended up biting the bullet and fitting compbrake top mounts.
IMG_7560.jpeg
IMG_7561.jpeg

These improved handling no end and i couldn’t speak more highly of them. Ended up setting to the standard GTT settings but with -2deg of camber. Still had afew wheel spin issues but was more controllable going into corners and there were now no lift off oversteer. Still having idling issues and fitting new and 2nd hand ICV’s lost my patients and blanked it off… shortly after @Dannyafro fitted the ktec/jenvey kit to his mk1 clio and after measuring up I knew this kit would also fit into the 5

Fit like a glove but had to run shorter trumpets due to the engine bay being a lot smaller than the clios engine bay.
IMG_5405.jpeg

Made such a difference in every aspect!!

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
After fitting the itb’s and Gen90, setting the cams to Grp-N timing, i made a trip upto EFI Parts with @Dannyafro
IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5425.jpeg
IMG_5423.jpeg

Engines abit tierd but still made a very linear 192bhp and 159ftlb.
IMG_5440.jpeg

After taking for a quick spin I well chuffed with what Chris had done… the car was an absolute animal and sounded amazing.

Shortly after I got the car weighed with a full tank of fuel….
IMG_5417.jpeg

First show was CSF’22

2BA28276-3743-4813-AF65-686F99350DE8.jpeg
IMG_5896.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg

Was a good show and I was gutted I didn’t get on track!

More to come soon…..

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
Ooft. Love this, great work.

Hopefully see it in the flesh at CSF24? I was at CSF22 but missed loads of cars as I was helping out on the gate for a bit.
Unfortunately I won’t be going to CSF24 as I’ll be at the Nurburgring that week. Will be doing afew track days this year though. Will be tagging along with @Coops Mk1 and @Dannyafro if/when they decide todo one when I’m not working.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Unfortunately I won’t be going to CSF24 as I’ll be at the Nurburgring that week. Will be doing afew track days this year though. Will be tagging along with @Coops Mk1 and @Dannyafro if/when they decide todo one when I’m not working.
Just quit you're job temporarily for when we go, then get it back afterwards, seemples

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
Just quit you're job temporarily for when we go, then get it back afterwards, seemples
Probably worth thinking about 😂 always miss the decent trackdays
10lb of s**t in a 1lb bag = goes like a stabbed rat! 😂😂

You got a lightweight flywheel fitted as well bacon? I can’t remember now if you do or not.
I’m running an oem flywheel with a LUK clutch. As you know now it’s actually lasted me awhile now. Previous gearboxes used valeo clutches which all of them snapped the cover plate straps, this was with oem & TTV flywheels. still have a dent on my bonnet where a strap flew through the top of the bellhousing and smacked the bonnet 😂

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
Still in 2022….

Took the 5 to C&M for a burger, pint and this one photo….

Facts are facts 🤷🏼‍♂️
IMG_6199.jpeg

Me, @Dannyafro and our better halves went to Retro Rides gathering @ Mallory park! It’s my favourite show of the year, always good, has a high level of motors there and it’s also local to us.
IMG_6468.jpeg
IMG_6470.jpeg
5E6B0A0A-DAF1-4761-95C9-5ACE8A9906BA.jpeg

As usual… TurboRenault turned up in force on Sunday.
IMG_6469.jpeg
C3282AE0-86A1-427B-A794-7F8BDC1720E8.jpeg

Also some decent weapons on track.
IMG_6394.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_6380.jpeg

Sorry if I’m boring you… Just a few more posts and I’ll be up to date but that was it for 2022

Last edited:

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
2023….

Upto yet I’ve only glanced through abit of this car’s history from 2019 when I bought it as a standard 1.4 automatic but not really spoke about spec. Nothing had changed much in 2023 as the car ran brilliantly throughout the year…

•Renault 5 1.4 automatic (shell on 32,000 miles)
•Standard 172 engine (Grp N-timing)
•Ktec/Jenvey DTH throttle bodies (45mmx19mm trumpets)
•ITG jc50-40 filter
•GEN90 ecu (mapped by EFI Parts)
•Superstrint 4-2-1 manifold from a Williams with F4R flange
•2.25” exhaust with stealth tip (made by @Dannyafro)
•vibratechnic engine mounts
•PMS billet 4PK crank and aux pulley kit
•PMS breather plate
•PMS coil pack bracket
•Clio 172 cup loom
•jC5-129 with Quaife (built by @NorthloopCup)
•R5 GTT driveshafts
•PMS shifter
•Standard flywheel, LUK clutch
•GAZ gha’s (fronts valved to 172 spec, 350lb springs)
•CompBrake fully adjustable top mounts
•172 hubs (millled 4mm to suit R5 coilovers)
•172 calipers, brembo HC discs and ferodo ds2500 pads
•R5 GTT subframe (re-enforced and seam welded by reg wild from prima racing)
•R5 GTT arms with powerflex bushes
•Williams 23mm arb with powerflex bushes (modified arb and bushes to suit gtt subframe and arms)
•R5 campus rear axle with Grp-N 23.2mm torsion bars
•mk1 clio 16v rear disc conversion
•braided brake hoses
•mk1 clio 16v fuel tank and pump
•mk1 clio 16v steelies with pilotsport 3’s
•mk2 Clio 1.2 16v steering rack
•172 silicone hoses
•mk2 Clio 1.2 16v radiator

It’s a pretty good spec and can only get better from here 👀 nothing really happened for the first half of the year however I thought I’d get on track for Retrorides and make sure it was fully prepared for it, bought another set of valver steelies and had them sandblasted and powder coated satin black
4f359786-2b1d-46ce-a71d-76eba4e3350c.jpeg

Ktec was having an offer on tyres and got these for £400 delivered
IMG_8379.jpeg

Very tight fit and a contrast to the other silver steelies
IMG_8610.jpeg

IMG_8611.jpeg

As usual, Retrorides friday and Saturday is just a piss up
DA95C3C5-11CE-4639-98ED-AD5E5967666F.jpeg

We got a good pitch up for quick60 on Saturday
37F54E48-134B-4BA5-8CF4-70DDDB911E01.jpeg

Sunday, got on track. The car absolutely ripped round the track… even when the marshals put me with the quick60 lot the 5 managed to pull away from them.
5490CD01-7450-4A20-B88A-256EBA5D8070.jpeg

IMG_8719.jpeg

3rd gear flat through devils elbow
IMG_8686.jpeg

ITB’s making the right noises 🎺 🎺🎺🎺 😮‍💨

Also me and @Brigsy got caught by speedhunters 👌🏼

459C5E26-1C92-4F5A-86E2-65912A256C61.jpeg

Car handled amazing, few little issues that need addressing but I was proper impressed with it and I was well surprised with how good the AR1’s were!! Not really a nankang fan but them tyres are amazing!

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
After Retro rides I went to The Drivers collection…
IMG_8768.jpeg
IMG_8772.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg
IMG_8773.jpeg
IMG_8770.jpeg

Really good show, too many fords ans vw’s for my liking though 😂 shame there isn’t many Renaults that go. Managed to lay down some 0-60times on the dragy. Didn’t get as good time as I thought on the ar1’s but much better on the pilotsport 3’s.
IMG_6155.jpeg

Video of that run

Will definitely be able to get better times as the rear dampener adjusters had seized on soft and it was alittle damp but still a good time.

Now I’m up to date and I’ll stop boring you with the past 2/3yrs of stuff I kinda remember doing 😂

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
Been at this awhile now and it could possibly be the 1st….

Spoke to Nick at Pure Motorsport and asked to see if I could just buy the primaries off him, did I few trial fits before committing to buying the rest of the material that was needed… 2.25” secondaries into 2.5” downpipe under the subframe. It then reduces to 2.25” near the v-band and the rest of my exhaust is 2.25”
CEC484AE-1A56-4F73-8D49-19F4DC609BE3.jpeg

cut down what I thought was about right and had a friend of mine tig everything
IMG_0238.jpeg

Looks an absolute master piece and looks the b****cks in the 5
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpeg
IMG_0250.jpeg

More to come soon….

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
Thanks briggs! I wanna get back to Chris as soon as but I don’t think it’ll be much different, ecu doesn’t read the O2, it only uses a fuel map which he said was the best way of running itb’s

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yeah itlll be mapped open loop so ecu wont do nowt with afr reading. I might be wrong but i think itll be mapped in alpha n.

I was thinking better flow on new system - might free up a bit of power/change torque curve a bit with the length and header design. Be interesting to see back to back results.

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
It’s been 2yrs since it was mapped but i think Chris said it was mapped in open loop so your probably right,I wanna get it mapped though because I definitely think it will be better top end.