ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sudden crankshaft sensor failure?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Hi everyone,
Did a track day in my 172 yesterday, was all going well until the second session when the car just electrically shut off and wouldn’t restart.

Plugged in the RSTuner and the only code I had stored was an engine speed sensor code (presume this is crank sensor) has anybody had such a sudden failure of a crank sensor before?
I had no prior symptoms, no misfires and the car was even on a dyno for 3 hours 2 weeks ago with no issues shown.

Currently the car will crank forever, immobiliser light goes out, fuel pump primes but it will not run, which I guess would point to a crank sensor issue with no spark.
Now it does still have the ‘old’ style crank sensor fitted so I am going to get the updated one with new loom.

Cheers

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Did some more searching tonight, on my data logger at rest it’s showing 184rpm, when cranked this went up to 200rpm.
Checked the compression 180psi across all cylinders.
Plugs look good
Fuel pump primes
Immobiliser light goes out as it should
Got a new style sensor coming tomorrow to try and we’ll go from there.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
This thread gives me flashbacks. Hopefully it will just be the crank sensor as you said.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
This thread gives me flashbacks. Hopefully it will just be the crank sensor as you said.
I hope so 🤞🏻 I wouldn’t mind so much but I’m meant to be racing it in 2 weeks so I’m on a bit of time crunch to get it sorted lol

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Are the newer style wiring crimp fit or solder?
They come with those heated solder joints from Renault.

But for those interested the crank sensor was not the problem. Fitted the new updated one last night and no change at all.

Now all along this process I’ve heard the fuel pump priming so I wrongfully assumed that was all good. Took the pipe off the rail and was met with no residual pressure, I thought that’s odd. Put a bowl under the the disconnected fuel line primed the pump absolutely f**k all came out.

Screw it I’ll take the sender out. Took that out and found the pipe that connects to the top of the fuel pump had rattled itself off. Put it all back together and started first time, ffs! All sorted now though!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
They come with those heated solder joints from Renault.

But for those interested the crank sensor was not the problem. Fitted the new updated one last night and no change at all.

Now all along this process I’ve heard the fuel pump priming so I wrongfully assumed that was all good. Took the pipe off the rail and was met with no residual pressure, I thought that’s odd. Put a bowl under the the disconnected fuel line primed the pump absolutely f**k all came out.

Screw it I’ll take the sender out. Took that out and found the pipe that connects to the top of the fuel pump had rattled itself off. Put it all back together and started first time, ffs! All sorted now though!

That's mad, never seen that before.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thats my shoddy workmanship! I don’t recall how I did that pipe but think it was removed and pushed back on the barb with some heat.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Thats my shoddy workmanship! I don’t recall how I did that pipe but think it was removed and pushed back on the barb with some heat.
I don’t even think it was that to be honest, just lots of running over kerbs 😏