ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auxiliary belt 172

Anybody know how much these are from Renault or what belt I need from a motorfactors? Got a belt the other day a DAYCO part number 6pk1650. I told the guy I knew there was two belts for these cars if it was a cup which it isn't it's a 2002 172. Tried to fit the belt tonight and it isn't far off fitting but would have to stretch it more than I could to get it over the aircon pulley that's with the tensioner right back.

Should they be quite an easy fit?

Thanks

I did wonder that. I would need to stretch this about 3-4 inches minimum and I wouldn't trusted it not to snap. Looking on the site where I bought it the part number they have listed is 6pk1660 doesn't mention aircon though they have given me 6pk1650. Not sure if that's right or a mix up. Going to go up there first thing just don't want another wasted trip wish I knew what to ask for.

Thanks for the answers. It's listing 6pk1660 think I am maybe just going to try and go for the Contitech belt from somwhere else and hope that's right.

ITB'd MK1
1662 is genuine. Non Renault are normally a bit thicker so need extra length. Non gen listings say 1660 but its not worth the aggravation. 1663 or genuine always

Well got it done in the end tried getting the 1663 belt but no joy the Contitech belt was 1660 aswell as the one I ended up getting even at that was ridiculousy tight to fit. I take my hat off to anyone who does this with the engine in place. Managed to sheer the part of the tensioner where you put a 3/8 end into so ended up having to clamp the tensioner right down until it fitted. Got there in the end going to get the cambelt and full auxiliary kit shortly just had to do this to see if it will run.

Lionel Richie
weird, i don't have a problem with 1660's, maybe because the air is thinner up here in birmingham the spring compresses easier?

ITB'd MK1
didn't read a word i typed did you....BELT THICKNESS!!!!!!! if you're using thin belts it'll be ok, but most non gen belts are too thick

Got a little problem with this. Put the engine in and my friend who helped me do it has just phoned and told me he forgot to tighten up the allen key bolt. Looking at it now it seems impossible to get into. Also should these tensioner just be allowed to put as much tension as they want on the belt then tighten it up? Looking at it it looks like the belt is rubbing of the side of the tensioner as it comes down from the power steering pulley.

Dodgy one
It shouldnt touch, theres a few bolts you remove so
It depends which one your on about, if the tensioners2 options 1st been his choice!! Epoxy resin to fill hole and give screw some bite (sets hard) 2nd redrill and relocate hinge on and tight but is out of position and rubbing the belt youl need a new one

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Sorry but need a new what tensioner? The allen headed bolt that goes in through the bit that locates the auxiliary tensioner bracket onto the engine so it can move if you get me. Not the two that actually hold the tensioner spring on. Looking at it the belt is now slightly covering the hole for the bolt. Really don't want to have to take the belt off as it was a pig to get it on with the engine out.

With these tensioners do you set the tension on the belt then bolt the tensioner bracket up or do you just bolt it up and it automaticaly tensions to the required tension? Also what is the best way when you do these belts with the engine in of getting into this bolt jacking up the engine?

Dodgy one
lmao, I was on the iphone and copied and pasted a text i'd sent to my mate accidentally lol

You have to jack the engine up to get the tool in to release the tension off the belt! It does sound like your going to have to remove the belt again, which if you've built the car up its easier to remove the bumper and slam panel.

If the belt is rubbing on the tensioner spring when all the bolts are in and tight you will need a new tensioner from Renault, You fit the tensioner to the car, run the belt round the crank, PAS, Aircon etc, release the tension using the 3/8" tool, Slide belt over tensioner and release

and its an automatic tensioner hence the spring!

Thanks for the replies. Just back off holiday and going to get stuck back into it. That seems to be the common answer Danny had a little search last week and noticed a few others have had this. Thing is when the engine was out the tensioner seemed ok the black bit that it pivots on seemed the spin freely and independently from the rest of the tensioner. Do you think there is anychance it could be down to the bolt not being tight letting the full assembly move given the same effect as you said?

ITB'd MK1
the black part is the idler not the pivot. the pivot is where the bolt goes through.

unless you're going to get an A/C delete setup (I would for your build) then you need a new aux tensioner kit.

Did i leave one of my timing pins in your engine btw?? be good if you could drop it in the post :)

the black part is the idler not the pivot. the pivot is where the bolt goes through.

unless you're going to get an A/C delete setup (I would for your build) then you need a new aux tensioner kit.

Did i leave one of my timing pins in your engine btw?? be good if you could drop it in the post :)

Sorry should have been more clear that's the bit I meant where the bolt goes through spins freely from the metal part of the tensioner bracket. I tightened up the allen key bolt and it has gave me a few mm clearance on the belt. I've took the tension off the belt. This might be a bit hard to explain but where the allen key bolt goes in there is a round recess for the pivot part to sit in, I am assuming the bolt will centralise this but looking at it I can see a gap of about 2-3mm between the metal part of the bracket and where it sits in this engine is this right or should it sit right in there?

Regarding the timing pin if I have it I will send it back down. The engine turns freely so I am assuming it's not still in there, what does it look like as I have boxes of parts with random bits if you have a picture if you want to pm me it and if it's there i'll send it tomorrow

Thanks