Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aux Belt fitting instructions

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhausts & Running Gear' started by stevehallam, May 4, 2009.

1. stevehallam

stevehallam

Car:
    clio sport
    I'm currently replacing my auxillary drive belt and tensioner on my 172 sport with air con. This is NOT the cup model.
    I've bought all parts from Renault dealers and have all the diagrams and pictures of the engine and which way the belt is fitted.
    No matter how hard i try i am unable to install the belt.
    I've tried adjusting the large tensioner but to no success.
    Is there a special tool(s) required to do this?
    I can't get enough slack on the belt to enable it to go over all the pulleys.
    I'm definetly putting it the correct way on the pulleys.:worried:

2. Jay Payne

Jay Payne ClioSport Club Member

Car:
    172 Race Car
    No special tools needed but there is a tool for the adjuster. It can be done without easily tho.

The tensioner is spring loaded remember. Try taking the pas pump pulley off to get the belt round it all then adjust the tension and slip the pulley onto the pump

3. sideways danny

sideways danny

Bedford www.519automotive.co.uk Please Call DON'T
    Car:
    ITB'd MK1
    I've made my own special tool for the adjuster. a piece of 1 inch steel strip, bent in the right place, with a cut off piece of 3/8th extension bar welded on. I've given it enough length so it's only a small effort to pull on the tensioner. Easy peasy

4. jack_davey

jack_davey

Car:
    Black Gold Trophy
    yeah it is usually a case of brute force and ignorance with aux belts :wink:

5. stevehallam

stevehallam

Car:
    clio sport
    Cheers for the reply's guys.

I finally got it on with several cuts, scratches and bruises to hands and arms.
    The problem was I didn't understand how to adjust the tensioner.
    I managed to take the tensin off the tensioner by using a small ratchet with a bar attached to the handle for extra leverage.
    I never removed the bumper, headlights or jacked up the engine as other people had previously suggested.
    Basically it was all down to the stupid tensioner which is a nightmare to adjust.

6. rich-6

rich-6

Car:
    Dodgy one
    Fair play to you for not jacking the engine, I couldnt get my hands down there for the life of me, You must havew feminine hands :wink:

7. Jay Payne

Jay Payne ClioSport Club Member

Car:
    172 Race Car
    Ive done it without taking off the bumper and headlight but you must have hands like a 5 year old girl if you didnt jack up the engine at all