ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 2 172 : AUX Kit or just belt?

Albi Blue RS 200
As per title, my Aux belt is due and it's squealing first thing in the morning. A local garage has offered to do the full kit for 200 + VAT fitted.

The kit is 110 + VAT

A belt is £20 INC VAT

I could save a fair bit by letting them just do the belt or is it worth while for them to replace the tensioner as well, I think the tensioners have been on the car from new (now on 90k)

Timing belt was done in 2007 but for some bloody reason they didn't do the Aux kit :(

What are your thoughts??

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Aux belt comes off when they do the cambelt, so should have had a new one, but in answer to your questions entire kit.

Albi Blue RS 200
I've had a look at the belt and it actually looks fine there are no cracks or anything in the belt so I'm led to believe the belt isn't as old as i think so maybe they did change the aux belt as well. It just says TIM/BELT Tensioner Kit @ £167 on the invoice. It stop squealing once the car has warmed up.

Albi Blue RS 200
I'm led to believe the aux belt has been done since it looks in good condition to me and if it hadnt been done at the 72k mile service then it would look more than shagged by now.

Once the engine warms up it's fine. Maybe the tensioners?

RS RIP
I have the exact same worry/question..

Had my cambelt done 2 months ago (for some reason they did not do the full aux kit like yours) , + now the car still "whines" on cold start, plus a small squeel of aux belt slipping.

So around 200 notes to do the full kit ?

I think i'll get it done.. :(

Clio Sport 172
well this is reassuring, my car is over 6 years old, has 50k miles on it and has never had either the aux or cambelt done, no squealing either. user-friendly New Zealand climate maybe?

PH1 172 Sport
The squealing/whining is probably the aux belt tensioner or most likely the pulley wheel. The pulley wheel is prone to failure if its not replaced as its in an area of the engine thats not very well protected from all the crap off of the roads.

well this is reassuring, my car is over 6 years old, has 50k miles on it and has never had either the aux or cambelt done, no squealing either. user-friendly New Zealand climate maybe?

No your just driving around in a ticking time bomb. Rubber perishes in any climate hence the 5 year service interval. Get them both changed or expect a very large bill.

RS RIP
Hi New Zealand !

You had better get your Cam-belt done ASAP , it needs doing every 70k miles OR every 4-5 years !! They have a reputation os snapping prematurely. If this would happen you're looking at a new engine !!! (well , overhaul at least !)

Albi Blue RS 200
Well today there was no squealing from the engine bay when i started it. It has been a bit warmer and more dry recently. Still i am unsure when the aux kit was last done as I don't have any invoices for it and only the cambelt so shall I still go ahead and have it replaced?

Volvo S60 T5
Depends on how much you have, I find its 50/50 some people want kits others want the belt only but we insist they are changed if we find the slightest noise or play from any of the bearings.

Albi Blue RS 200
There was a cambelt service in 2007 i think the Aux belt was changed at this service because it looks in good condition. The tensioners however I'm not sure were changed, the squealing seems to be coming from round that area but there are no cracks in the belt so I can't imagine it being that.

It's due in on Tuesday and money is tight at the moment. I want to make 100% sure it's worth it.

What do you think Mike?

RS RIP
Mike help me out here :) Does the 172 Cup also have the AUX- SET or is it just the belt that needs replacing ? (no aircon etc.?)

My car had the cambeltkit and just the aux belt ; it squeeks on cold start (slips a tad bit) but i've noticed that the "whining" the engine always had is still there after the total job ?? (whining dissapears almost after couple of minutes)

RS RIP
^^ guess so ? But this whining is doing my head in.. Could be waterpump or like stated before ; oilpump ?

Albi Blue RS 200
Because I have looked into belt changes as my car requires one (I think) just waiting to see what Mike things as he knows more than any of us!

Ph2 172
Tom - I would go for a full kit - new tensioner, belt and idler pulley.

Mine started doing the same thing - squealing first thing in the morning. Then it was getting worse when putting the PS under load moving slowly. My aux belt had been replaced late 07 and still appeared in good condition. I went ahead and replaced the whole aux kit at the weekend and found the tensioner had seized. Its running smooth & quiet now!

Albi Blue RS 200
Hi Shaun.

The kit includes tensioner and idler pully. I'm going to get it done just for piece of mind.