ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt question

Clio 1.2 Billabong
How important is an aux belt change on a 1.2 16v engine. If it snaps, will it be a minor inconvenience (no alternator & air con) or will it bite me on the arse and then rape it?

The reason I ask is that I have booked my car in for it's 5 year cam belt change today; the whole lot including a new water pump etc. Unfortunately the bloke at the garage told me that the quote does not include renewing the auxiliary belts and their tensioners, although he said he will replace the belt if looks worn.

Is it easy to replace myself?
Shall I bite the bullet and pay the extra?

Clio 1.2 Billabong
on a 1.2 it's about £6 extra, no tensioner to change. Only difference is if it's an Aircon model which runs 2 belts I believe

Yeah, mine has two belts. According to my Haynes manual, the aircon belt does have a tensioner though.

Sod it, I'll ask them to fit new aux belts as well. I find it difficult fitting a belt in my jeans, let alone putting one on a car!