ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt tensioner!

172 flamer
Hi guys/gals

I hardly ever post on this forum, but I spend a lot of time lurking, apologies this is my first post in a long time.

I have been changing the cam belt today with a mate.Its on my 02 plate 172, all timed up ok but when we came to putting the aux belt tensioner back on - we struggled to say the least. We've given up for tonight and going to have a go again on monday when I have borrowed a torx spanner from someone at work. I was both shocked how little room you get when working on the 172!!:mad:

Anyway any advice, on how to get the aux belt tensioner on, would be great.
However thinking about it now - would it be best to whip the metal bar off from the front of the engine bay, to give more room to swing a knuckle bar to pre-tension the belt (if you know what I mean).

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
I'd never even try to do the aux belt on an aircon 172 without removing the slam panel and bumper, you ned the space to get the leverage IMO. Some have/do leave it on, but it's only a few bolts and it's easier by a long way

Lionel Richie
i'm yet to see anyone change an aux belt on one with the bumper/slam panel still in!

why you remove the aux tensioner? changing it i assume?

i remove the upper alternator bolt and pull the alt down to give a bit more slack in the belt when tensioning it up on the tensioner

172 flamer
Thanks for the advice, ill be whipping that slam panel off on monday. Bloody hell - why didnt I think of that at the time intead of hurling obsceneties at inanimate objects.

Ph2 172
Yup slam off is a must. Alternator unbolted made it much easier for me too. Also, with the o/s engine mount still off, jack the engine up slightly on the aux side gave more access.

ITB'd MK1
Yup slam off is a must. Alternator unbolted made it much easier for me too. Also, with the o/s engine mount still off, jack the engine up slightly on the aux side gave more access.

As high as it will go, with the AC pipe unbolted from the panel next to the headlight ;)