ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt kit + Aux Kit

Clio Sport 172
I have just bought a cambelt kit from Renault here in Mexico, cost me 1730 pesos, which is equivalent to 80 quid. I should by 20 and sell them in the UK, haha.
Come the aux belt kit, they tell me they don't do a kit, it's all separate parts, the belt was 12 quid, but the tensioner was 185 quid and I can't remember for the idler pulley, they only had the belt in stock. This suggests that they only change the belt and don't bother with the rest.
The two blanking caps for the other end of the cams were 11 quid for both.
Just in case you are wondering the cam belt kit is the same as you get in the UK, the box says made in Canada, although the two idler pulleys are from Germany (the bearings are BRS) and the belt just says EU (Gates PowerGrip 40951 x 27). The tensioner says Canada on the spring housing, although the bearing says Korea.

Now to the questions.
I have the cam locking tool (Sealey), but not the pulley locking tool for the other end. My question is, how necessary is this second tool (the MOT 1590), because if you need it, it suggests that the belts vary slightly in length, why would the new belt not just fit on in exactly the same spot as the old one? The dealers here don't sell this tool, but I can get one whilst I'm in the UK next month for £56. If it's not necessary I won't bother.

The other thing is that although the car is now 5 years old, it only has just under 20,000 miles on the clock. Do I really need to replace the aux belt tensioner and pulley, I wouldn't have thought these would not be affected by age the way a rubber belt would?

RS RIP
^^ you got a point there ; i also think only the belts need changing every 5 years. Not the bearings/pulleys etc.

But i may be corrected !

Lionel Richie
there is a kit, you need to tell them to upgrade their parts system database!

if you buy the parts seperatley then its way over £300, the kit is about £120 with the same parts!

and yes i would suggest changing everything

you "can" get away without using the pulley tool, but i always slacken it all off and redo it

Clio Sport 172
I was hoping you would answer Fred, you seem to be the expert on all things cambelt. I will probably get both the tool and the whole aux belt kit while i'm in the UK then.
Thanks