ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are you 19 with a RS?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Fiesta ST's were a little cheaper for me, but I wanted another Clio badly. Keeping searching, or wait another year and keep saving.

192'd BG 182 FF
ive only just turned 19. got my 182 in march while i was 18. 2850 for my first year with it with 1 years ncb on my own not parents through elephant. a lot of money but i dont regret it at all!!

Ibiza SC
Didn't get my cup til I was 23, and my insurance then was £1300, I dread to think what it would have been at 19 as I had a 1.2 then and it was around £1500 for that.
Currently paying £280 for a mk5 Ibiza, can't complain at all. Although I do have a serious itch for an RS.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
It ultimately depends on the insurer, but some companies are well aware that people lie when attempting to gain a cheaper quote, and act against it by increasing the rates on those groups.

I don't think I've ever heard as much rubbish.

Soon to be a 182
Im getting one in 2 months, I am 19 with 2 years no claims and getting quoted 800 quid from admirl! They are so cheap i also go qouted 1.3k for a e46 330ci sport!

Inferno 182
Go on beatthatquote.com for some reason they seem to get cheaper quotes and try pay off in one go if you can, I got a quote for just over 1k payed off in one go with 1ncb at 19

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Believe what you want bro

Considering that for the past almost 5 years I've insured cars on doing less than 5000 miles a year. Not once has it ever gone cheaper with any company if I upped that to 10,000 miles a year. So yes, I'll believe the facts, bro.

Pedal power
It's annoying the hell out of me getting these cheap ass quotes! Why can't I! Living near Liverpool surely can't cost me over 4k more!

MCS R56
It ultimately depends on the insurer, but some companies are well aware that people lie when attempting to gain a cheaper quote, and act against it by increasing the rates on those groups.

100% nonsense. For one, the insurers cannot just assume people lie about their policy and charge them for it and secondly, if you only drive your car at weekends on local roads, you're statistically less likely to be involved in a crash.

MCS R56
It's annoying the hell out of me getting these cheap ass quotes! Why can't I! Living near Liverpool surely can't cost me over 4k more!

You're trying to insure a car that is a high insurance group and is likely to be wrecked by a youngster. And live in a bad postcode. Try finding a car you can afford to insure until get older or move. None of your quotes will be cheap.

I got some quotes a couple of years ago when I turned 19 and they were still around £2k even back then. Top postcode, 2 years ncb, couple of named drivers... they're just an expensive car to insure! Get a 106 GTI instead IMO. Still felt like a rocket ship coming from a 1.2 Clio - overtook at every opportunity just for a laugh! :eek:
The slight amount of extra performance you get out of a Clio isn't worth an extra £1100 on insurance IMO.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
There is something wrong with the person who forks out over £2000 to insure a Clio. The only reason you'd pay silly money at that age is to be faster than your mates and that'll end in tears.

I pay £2700 for a 2001 1.2 8v clio... but thats due to me having 6 points i think.. even then.. i get quotes of £1900 without the points which is still a heck of a lot! but id rather pay and be driving a car than be on the peasant wagon!

MCS R56
I pay £2700 for a 2001 1.2 8v clio... but thats due to me having 6 points i think.. even then.. i get quotes of £1900 without the points which is still a heck of a lot! but id rather pay and be driving a car than be on the peasant wagon!

Nobody wants to ride the bus but that's your own fault. I feel for young drivers having to pay silly amounts for basic, low powered cars but who can they blame?

172 cup
Agree with the ST comments brilliant cars for the money now, i had one from when i was 18-21 insurance is cheap, only problem is when
they're standard the engine feels so underpowered and there noisy. But they respond well to breathing mods a induction kit and exhaust
will give you an extra 10 ish bhp which helps. The interior is miles better than a 182 (apart from the horrendous gear gaiter) and there fun to drive,
and a decent pre facelift one can be picked up for around 3k now, The 182 is no doubt a better car pretty much all round but i wouldn't pay silly
money to insure one its not worth it imo

Mondeo TDCI 130
lol, makes me chuckle reading this thread, i feel for all you youngsters etc that it costs a fortune for, BUT, when i read things like "does it do 0 - 60 im 8 seconds?" etc, makes me lol! At the minute i drive a s**tbox 1.2 clio on an x plate, i don't think it does 60, and i don't care.:approve: (Paid £100 for it.....)

Trophy #387
100% nonsense. For one, the insurers cannot just assume people lie about their policy and charge them for it and secondly, if you only drive your car at weekends on local roads, you're statistically less likely to be involved in a crash.

Insurers can assume that, and they do... They could back it up with figures are as well and say "look, people who say they did 4000 miles seem to perform worse than people who do 10000 miles". Underwriters know how to put 2+2 together.

Also, if you drive your car infrequently then you're likely to lack experience and not be as "fluent" behind the wheel, therefore likely to make poor decisions.

Most crashes also happen within a small radius of their house, so there goes your "local" argument.

In fact, this argument is almost pointless as most insurers don't really rate on mileage that much as it is only approximate. I started the debate and i'll happily say, i'm out.

RB 182 195bhp
I'm 19, and I have a 172 cup and I pay £1200 fully comp with a £500 excess, 2 years NCB held my licence 2 years. Another tip is that 306 gti-6's are much cheaper to insure, get one of them for a year ;)

RB 182 195bhp
I get quotes of £1900 for Astra Vxr's also, you must either have a bad postcode/ your doing something wrong on your quotes lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hello! just turned 19 hoping to get insured on a sport BUT the quotes I'm getting are still around 5k cheapest! So was wondering if anybody is 19 and are insured on a sport and how much they are paying with 1 or 2 ncb. OR if anyone has any little tricks to get insurance down :p thanks!

As others - just hang-on in there. Believe it or not, I ordered my 182 when I was 29 and was having trouble getting a quote for it. Most insurers wouldn't touch me until I was 30 - and that was having a clean licence since passing at 17 and at that time, over 6 years NCB.

I would rather pay higher tax from my wages than pay a penny more on car insurance. I share your pain, but don't give them extra cash if you don't need to.

D.

GT86, 335, Westfield
I haven't read all of this thread but this question is relative - £2,000 to some is not a lot of money but to most (me included!) it's a lot.

If the OP is a student, for example, with limited income, I would suggest you wait as it might not leave much left for anything else!

Last edited:
  Pedal power
Yeah I am a student with a part time job, I have been saving up for a decent car now for about 1 and a half years. Just annoying that the only thing stopping me from getting one is rip-off insurance company's

Monaco 172
I wanted a 1*2 desperately when I was 18, glad I waited until hitting 21. Would have ended in tears if I had got one at that age.

MCS R56
Yeah I am a student with a part time job, I have been saving up for a decent car now for about 1 and a half years. Just annoying that the only thing stopping me from getting one is rip-off insurance company's

Agreed, they do rip people off but you need it and there's nothing else you can do, that's why I don't understand why people pay so much. Go with the advice, get something on a lower group and wait a few years. You can have just as much fun in slower cars - it's not all about 0-60.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
This thread cheered me up today. It's bad when you can insure my car for half the price of a 182.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Insurance a is a joke now as you all know. 27 with a clean license, good area and i've just had to renew my insurance for £450 on a tdi leon. A 182 for me is £700 or more!

I used to insure a 290bhp 200sx for £700 at 21 ffs..