ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 0% financing....

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I end up using my SuperDrive quite frequently in all fairness although I wouldn't get hung up about having one.

Until I'm on the big bucks though I'm not buying another MBP. Mac Minis from now on I think to avoid paying for the clamshell/screen. Since it never ventures out of the house anyway.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
So mine's finally here, rather than starting another thread what skins/covers etc are people using?

GTD, Lupo
I didn't use the 0% finance but decided to treat myself to a post afghan present in the form of a MBP.

Spec I went for:

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Configuration

• 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

It will spend most it's time connected to a TV so I also went for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Now I'm even more excited to get home.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I didn't use the 0% finance but decided to treat myself to a post afghan present in the form of a MBP.

Spec I went for:

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Configuration

• 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

It will spend most it's time connected to a TV so I also went for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Now I'm even more excited to get home.

That's the same spec as mine, but I have the 512 storage? how have you managed that??

Assume you used education discount??

GTD, Lupo
That's the same spec as mine, but I have the 512 storage? how have you managed that??

Assume you used education discount??

I went for the middle spec machine and upgraded the CPU. No real need for the extra storage as I recently purchased a 1TB wireless hard drive. I used the education discount.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I went for the middle spec machine and upgraded the CPU. No real need for the extra storage as I recently purchased a 1TB wireless hard drive. I used the education discount.

What did that cost if you don't mind? Because I thought it worked out to be negligible difference wise?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
See this is still ongoing, tempted to go buy the middle spec 13" and leave using a desktop behind (don't currently own a laptop).

Anyone have any idea how much longer 0% finance is going to last for, and whether there are any expected major upgrades or future model(s) due any time soon that I should instead hold out for?

Thanks.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Took the plunge. Finance all went through fine, but at the end it said I'd receive a confirmation email from both Barclays and Apple which I haven't, and the order shows as awaiting payment on the Apple site, does it usually take a while?

Bike*
Hello guys,
i am after a iMac next week, basically it is for my gopro footage and editing.
I get a small discount from apple through work, what spec should i get?

never had a mac before, so i am in need of some advice!

i plan on keeping the mac for about 5 years (hopefully).

cheers

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Take a look in the for sale section at Dan@M.A.D's thread, he's got a couple of well kept iMac's for sale, could be good for yourself.

Also, Uni discount will probably trump company discount (did for me) so maybe look to go down that route if you buy new.

Bike*
Do you get free applecare with your work?

Not sure mate, don't think so.

could someone recommend me a spec to go for?

I was thinking 21.5"
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory.

this should be more than good enough for what i want, right?

Bike*
Take a look in the for sale section at Dan@M.A.D's thread, he's got a couple of well kept iMac's for sale, could be good for yourself.

Also, Uni discount will probably trump company discount (did for me) so maybe look to go down that route if you buy new.

Sorry, i missed your post.
i did look at the ones for sale but i would rather have a new one as i plan on keeping it for a while.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Not sure mate, don't think so.

could someone recommend me a spec to go for?

I was thinking 21.5"
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory.

this should be more than good enough for what i want, right?

What's your budget?

Do you have room for a 27"?

My late 2013 iMac is awesome, easily the best computer I've ever used.

What are you planning on using it for?

Bike*
What's your budget?

Do you have room for a 27"?

My late 2013 iMac is awesome, easily the best computer I've ever used.

What are you planning on using it for?

well budget is around £1400 and i could get a 27" for that.

is it worth the extra couple of 100 for the bigger screen?

It is for gopro footage and editing really.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
well budget is around £1400 and i could get a 27" for that.

is it worth the extra couple of 100 for the bigger screen?

It is for gopro footage and editing really.

My advice would be to definitely get a 27" for two main reasons.

1) Resale value.
2) User accessible RAM slots.

If you go for the 21" make sure you spec 16GB or RAM as you'll not be able to upgrade in the future.

Regarding the 27" you'll get away with the base spec 3.2GHZ i5 processor, however, I'd recommend you at least upgrade to the 1TB Fusion (it astonishes me that Apple still sell the SATA Drive) and at a push the 3.4GHz i5 processor with the GTX 775 GPU (this spec is regarded as the best VFM).

Do not buy more than 8GB of RAM from Apple if you go for the 27".

I went for the 27", 8GB RAM, 3.4GHz processor, GTX780, 1TB Fusion and it fly's, a truly astonishing machine.

I recently added 16GB of RAM to the machine for £110 from crucial, Apple change £160 for 8GB.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If you buy a Mac where the RAM can't be upgraded, can it actually be upgraded if you take it to Apple and pay them some extortionate amount of dollar, or are there kits out there so you can change it yourself?

As for 21.5 vs 27, I'd say that's a no brainer, the 27 is amazing, dat screen, dat real estate.

If you buy a Mac where the RAM can't be upgraded, can it actually be upgraded if you take it to Apple and pay them some extortionate amount of dollar, or are there kits out there so you can change it yourself?

As for 21.5 vs 27, I'd say that's a no brainer, the 27 is amazing, dat screen, dat real estate.

No as the ram is now part of the board. :dapprove:

UKXOdnyfCEmQIQwG.jpg

Bike*
My advice would be to definitely get a 27" for two main reasons.

1) Resale value.
2) User accessible RAM slots.

If you go for the 21" make sure you spec 16GB or RAM as you'll not be able to upgrade in the future.

Regarding the 27" you'll get away with the base spec 3.2GHZ i5 processor, however, I'd recommend you at least upgrade to the 1TB Fusion (it astonishes me that Apple still sell the SATA Drive) and at a push the 3.4GHz i5 processor with the GTX 775 GPU (this spec is regarded as the best VFM).

Do not buy more than 8GB of RAM from Apple if you go for the 27".

I went for the 27", 8GB RAM, 3.4GHz processor, GTX780, 1TB Fusion and it fly's, a truly astonishing machine.

I recently added 16GB of RAM to the machine for £110 from crucial, Apple change £160 for 8GB.

I really appreciate your reply, cheers.
Just had a look at 27" 3.2ghz with 1tb fusion. £1845. Eeeeek!

About this uni discount.. Don't you have to be at UNI? Lol

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I really appreciate your reply, cheers.
Just had a look at 27" 3.2ghz with 1tb fusion. £1845. Eeeeek!

About this uni discount.. Don't you have to be at UNI? Lol

My pleasure mate.

The 1TB fusion is worth its weight, I wouldn't spec a machine with it (or an SSD if you don't need the additional space)...

Mine.

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 13.13.53.jpg

The 7200 SATA drive will achieve:

WRITE: ~ 100 MB/s
READ: ~ 100 MB/s

BIG DIFFERENCE lol.

Last edited:
  Bike*
Correct, as I'm not a student and get discount through work I thought it was silly to run the risk of getting caught for the sake of £50.

So you do have to be a student?
I'm with you, i don't mind paying extra to eliminate any risk.
I get a discount through work too.

if you don't mind would you do a spec for me on the apple website and print screen it. With a budget of £1800 BEFORE discount.
i might nip to the trafford centre tomorrow and pick one up on 0% finance if it is still available.

cheers!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
So you do have to be a student?
I'm with you, i don't mind paying extra to eliminate any risk.
I get a discount through work too.

if you don't mind would you do a spec for me on the apple website and print screen it. With a budget of £1800 BEFORE discount.
i might nip to the trafford centre tomorrow and pick one up on 0% finance if it is still available.

cheers!

Here you go mate.

At a minimum go for this spec:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393085194.103056.jpg

If you can afford the extra go for this (exactly what I've got):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393085207.928237.jpg

Apple shops don't sell build to order machines so you'll need to order over the phone or online.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Funny. When it's someone else spending that sort of money on a laptop I'm thinking "you must be mad!"

But mine wasn't far off a few years ago.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
A good thing and one of the reasons I talked myself into just getting my first MacBook is that they hold their value so well, so when once you come to upgrade a few years down the line, you current machine is still worth some money, so you can consider that as a discount on any future upgrade upon its sale.

I've gone with 8gb RAM, it may not be the most future-proof, but if I need 16gb in a few years time, then I'll just flog my current machine and upgrade, I may take a hit as buyers might not want 8gb, but if that hit is any less than the £160 Apple want to upgrade to 16gb (in comparison to machines for sale with 16gb RAM) then I'll still be in the green; if not you win some you lose some.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I can relate to wanting the latest tech for sure. But saying it's because they have good residuals is kidding yourself. If it's worth £1k in 3 years (it won't be) then that's still £1k it's lost. Which is more than most normal laptops (where you could still sell them, or throw it away and have saved money). MBPs sure are pretty though!

My favourite part was the new keyboard smell. Which I've managed to have twice as mine got almost completely replaced under warranty a year after I bought it.