ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 0% financing....

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
tbh with a sata 3 SSD, rams pretty much a moot point these days anyway as you can load from the drive that quick that the 'unused' bits of CS not in RAM can be dragged back into use stupidly quickly

I use lightroom on 10gb and if you watch the performance monitor, even with 20+ ie tabs and iTunes etc all open too it used about 60-70% of the memory at any one time absolute max.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Easy to say when it's not your $$$ :p

If it was loads of money i'd understand the hesitation, but its not.

tbh with a sata 3 SSD, rams pretty much a moot point these days anyway as you can load from the drive that quick that the 'unused' bits of CS not in RAM can be dragged back into use stupidly quickly

I use lightroom on 10gb and if you watch the performance monitor, even with 20+ ie tabs and iTunes etc all open too it used about 60-70% of the memory at any one time absolute max.

Sata 3? MBP is PCIe

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If it was loads of money i'd understand the hesitation, but its not.

It really is, 16GB of 1600mhz ddr3 ram can be bought for <£120 yet with apple it costs £160 and that's not taking into account you're removing the 8GB.

I don't like feeling like I'm being ripped off so I couldn't justify it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Like i said, its all entirely up to you.

If you cant afford it then fine, make do with 8gb.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I cant stand them really, you can give £2 to charity or something.

Blimey.

OK, well thanks for the insight all. It's not my money either, but agree with Tom/Rob on the unable to upgrade point, so will probably suggest she goes 16gb. I upgraded both our Vaios after a few years to 4 or 8. If that's no longer possible, I feel it would make sense to future-proof an expensive item.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Sata 3? MBP is PCIe

you know what I mean, shitfast main drive interface was the point be it PCIe or SATA/mSATA 3 speeds. tbh mines on older mSATA 2 speed and its still quick enough to not notice stuff load and run

So as far as I see it, why not go for 2.6 as well? For the sake of £70? .2 more GHZ and 8gb more RAM for £200 sounds like future proofing to me. And tbh if she disagrees I'll probably use that as my chip in for the occasonal use.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Agreed. May as well.

Does the EDU discount apply in this case?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I just checked it does, so that brings the cost down on the optionals, its not much. Looks around £10 off the ram.

(i'm looking at my personal employee discount not the EDU which i think is more)

I just checked it does, so that brings the cost down on the optionals, its not much. Looks around £10 off the ram.

(i'm looking at my personal employee discount not the EDU which i think is more)

Corporate discount is 10% for us, Edu is circa 14%. Interesting that that Mike oojamflip website no longer works. Thankfully someone posted a link in the first post.

Just out of interest, @Tom and @Rob, is there any reason not to go with a superior machine without the Retina display for less money?

For example, non-retina 13" MBP for £1,100 comes with a 2.9ghz i7, 8gb RAM (yes I appreciate the aforementioned points about RAM) and 1TB of storage... Other than the screen, that reads better to the un-educated that the Retina offering?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just out of interest, @Tom and @Rob, is there any reason not to go with a superior machine without the Retina display for less money?

For example, non-retina 13" MBP for £1,100 comes with a 2.9ghz i7, 8gb RAM (yes I appreciate the aforementioned points about RAM) and 1TB of storage... Other than the screen, that reads better to the un-educated that the Retina offering?

You said the word photography. It's that simple. The retina screen is sublime and photo editing on it etc is excellent. Not to mention the residual value.

The non retina will likely plummet in a few years.

Also, that 1TB isn't SSD, if she takes A LOT of photos, I'd buy her a proper tiny external drive and then not store them on the SSD, or at least archive once every 6 months.

You said the word photography. It's that simple. The retina screen is sublime and photo editing on it etc is excellent. Not to mention the residual value.

The non retina will likely plummet in a few years.

Also, that 1TB isn't SSD, if she takes A LOT of photos, I'd buy her a proper tiny external drive and then not store them on the SSD, or at least archive once every 6 months.

She's also half blind in one eye. I have to read words off the TV/Cinema screen for her. But get what you're saying. Another thing to test side by side.

Appreciate the SSD thing as well.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
She's also half blind in one eye. I have to read words off the TV/Cinema screen for her. But get what you're saying. Another thing to test side by side.

Appreciate the SSD thing as well.

If her eyes are that bad dude, she couldn't edit photos! The colours are epic, the clarity is superb.

The SSD matter is the difference between what feels like quite a fast and capable computer, and stupidly fast computing.

After three years of having my old MBP, I kept clicking on things on the new one, then habitually waiting for it to load for a second, but it had always already done it and I was waiting for nothing.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I got 16gb upgrade because I know i will have this machine for the next 3 or 4 years and divide the extra cost over that period and its worth it every day of the week.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I got 16gb upgrade because I know i will have this machine for the next 3 or 4 years and divide the extra cost over that period and its worth it every day of the week.

f**king hell, well done!

I don't think you've ever surprised me.

Rob, another consideration from testing them out on Tuesday is the fact that the new Retina display ones no longer have an onboard disk drive!! Appreciate they'll be thinner and lighter without, but that's something she wants and needs. We also couldn't tell much difference between the Retina and standard displays, so have a feeling she'll go for a top spec non-Retina one.

@Rob, another consideration from testing them out on Tuesday is the fact that the new Retina display ones no longer have an onboard disk drive!! Appreciate they'll be thinner and lighter without, but that's something she wants and needs. We also couldn't tell much difference between the Retina and standard displays, so have a feeling she'll go for a top spec non-Retina one.

But how often will you use the disc drive? I wouldn't compromise on retina just to keep a disk drive when usb ones are cheap as!

Example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Slot-..._Storage_CD_DVD_Drives_ET&hash=item33824196b9

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
JD , he's right. Why on earth does she ever use a disk drive ffs? I was so happy when my new one arrived without one, I didn't use the drive in my old on once in the three years I had it.

And if she really wants one for occasional, usb drives are peanuts.

Seat Leon Cupra 290
I've had my macbook for over a year and use it daily but have never used the disk drive, it does seem a bit obcelete these days, I only know it's there as it makes a notice when I put it in its case

I have a MBA and bought an external disc drive which I have used once, in three years. They are very much becoming obsolete IME.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can see a use for them but I agree you guys are probably right. Everything will be digital, cars were the last place you really burned CD's for. No one needs to do that anymore.

I'm guessing Steam has ruined PC game CDs?