ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 0% financing....

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I can relate to wanting the latest tech for sure. But saying it's because they have good residuals is kidding yourself. If it's worth £1k in 3 years (it won't be) then that's still £1k it's lost. Which is more than most normal laptops (where you could still sell them, or throw it away and have saved money). MBPs sure are pretty though!

The aesthetics is just part of the package, the overall experience is 10x that of a windows machine.

I'm not biased, I'm 33 and have had windows machines all my life until 6 months ago when I decided to switch.

I won't be going back to windows unless something significant happens.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I can relate to wanting the latest tech for sure. But saying it's because they have good residuals is kidding yourself. If it's worth £1k in 3 years (it won't be) then that's still £1k it's lost. Which is more than most normal laptops (where you could still sell them, or throw it away and have saved money). MBPs sure are pretty though!

My favourite part was the new keyboard smell. Which I've managed to have twice as mine got almost completely replaced under warranty a year after I bought it.

I can't speak for the 2k specced iMac, I was referring more to the MacBook I just bought - if it sells in 3 years for 500-700 quid then I'll of only lost 400-600 quid, which I personally don't mind for three years of owning a great machine, it's not much more than I'd expect to lose if I bought a 700-800 quid laptop right now, so kinda negates to some extent the premium you pay for the Apple product.

Bike*
The aesthetics is just part of the package, the overall experience is 10x that of a windows machine.

I'm not biased, I'm 33 and have had windows machines all my life until 6 months ago when I decided to switch.

I won't be going back to windows unless something significant happens.

I took your advice and went for the £1780 spec :) got it for £1650 so a decent saving through work!
Hopefully it comes this week!

thanks for your help Al!

i haven't got the applecare though, will i regret that? Is it 'needed'?
no doubt i will be needing some noob tips when it comes as i have been windows for the past 10 years lol.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I took your advice and went for the £1780 spec :) got it for £1650 so a decent saving through work!
Hopefully it comes this week!

thanks for your help Al!

i haven't got the applecare though, will i regret that? Is it 'needed'?
no doubt i will be needing some noob tips when it comes as i have been windows for the past 10 years lol.

Brill mate, you'll be absolutely delighted with your purchase.

Yes AppleCare IMO is a must but you don't need to buy it with the machine, you have 12 months to register it. I bought mine from eBay (be careful there are dodgy sellers) but you can also buy it from amazon and other 3rd part company's at a reduced price. I picked mine up for £50.

When you're feeling a little more flushed you can add the additional ram, I added 16GB (totalling 24GB) from crucial for £110. Depending on what you use the machine for though 8GB might be enough.

Any other questions let me know.

Bike*
Brill mate, you'll be absolutely delighted with your purchase.

Yes AppleCare IMO is a must but you don't need to buy it with the machine, you have 12 months to register it. I bought mine from eBay (be careful there are dodgy sellers) but you can also buy it from amazon and other 3rd part company's at a reduced price. I picked mine up for £50.

When you're feeling a little more flushed you can add the additional ram, I added 16GB (totalling 24GB) from crucial for £110. Depending on what you use the machine for though 8GB might be enough.

Any other questions let me know.

Plenty time to get the applecare then, this site helped explain what it's about - http://www.macworld.com/article/2048197/is-applecare-worth-it-.html

"Any other questions let me know." i'll be in touch :D
cheers mate

koi

Audi S1
For some reason I thought Apple had a standard price set for all countries.

Just ordered the iPhone 5s on the UK website but noticed that it's only 5588HKD (~£437) in Hong Kong, so going to cancel the order and get my folks to bring one back. Will there be any issues with warranty?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I can get all apple products in Germany about 20 cheaper than list price, iPad mini retina is £256.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
For some reason I thought Apple had a standard price set for all countries.

Just ordered the iPhone 5s on the UK website but noticed that it's only 5588HKD (~£437) in Hong Kong, so going to cancel the order and get my folks to bring one back. Will there be any issues with warranty?

There will be issues using a none UK phone I believe...

I may well be wrong, but I think anything mobile based is country specific, wireless stuff is transferable.

As I say, I may well be wrong, but I'd look into it before you commit.

GTD, Lupo
There will be issues using a none UK phone I believe...

I may well be wrong, but I think anything mobile based is country specific, wireless stuff is transferable.

As I say, I may well be wrong, but I'd look into it before you commit.

Im not 100% sure either, but surely provided the phone is unlocked then it should accept a UK sim.

This might help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

GTD, Lupo
I think there is something about frequencies.

Tom / Sn00p / some of the other mobile guys will be far better placed to give a definitive answer.

Fair enough, i have personally used a USA sim card in my iPhone but i had to get it unlocked from O2. I had no issues with frequencies! Can only be the same as using a UK iPhone in another country and picking up a different service provider.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough, i have personally used a USA sim card in my iPhone but i had to get it unlocked from O2. I had no issues with frequencies! Can only be the same as using a UK iPhone in another country and picking up a different service provider.

As I say, I'm more than prepared to be wrong, it's just something I have in the back of my mind.

It may well be from many moons ago on different phone types, before we got into smart phones etc.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I use German, Kenyan and Egyptian SIM cards in my 4s no problems.

GTD, Lupo
is the £1099 MBP any good? any NECESSARY add ons?

If you use the student discount link you can get the middle spec MBP for a similar price. That is the one i currently have but upgraded the processor so it is a little more future proof. It all comes down to what you need it for. A MBP is by far the best purchase i have made in the last year, so much easier than a PC and so quick!

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000753

As I say, I'm more than prepared to be wrong, it's just something I have in the back of my mind.

It may well be from many moons ago on different phone types, before we got into smart phones etc.

Frequencies are the same so shouldn't be a problem. (I'm almost certain on this)

I don't think it affects the new phones as much as the likes of a 3310. Worth mentioning too. Also iPhone warranty is the country local to purchase so if it breaks you'll need to take it back to HK.

koi

Audi S1
Frequencies are the same so shouldn't be a problem. (I'm almost certain on this)

I don't think it affects the new phones as much as the likes of a 3310. Worth mentioning too. Also iPhone warranty is the country local to purchase so if it breaks you'll need to take it back to HK.

Yeah done some checking and it will work. Just means it's a holiday back to HK if it breaks :approve:

GTD, Lupo
It's now saying that you need to be on the university's network to apply for this! Balls

Are you sure? I just added some stuff to the basket and got all the way through to the enter card details screen. When does it say you need to be on a university network and how would they even know? What if you are on OU?

Toureg vW Transporte
Ahh I went through educational pricing at the bottom. I'll try it the other way. Muchos gratis

Appears that this is back on so considering a Mbp with retina display.

Would getting anything now be seen as a bad idea given the forthcoming release of a new one this year?

Would getting anything now be seen as a bad idea given the forthcoming release of a new one this year?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/

New ones are due soon but it depends how badly you want it.

I bought my iMac knowing that a refresh was overdue, I think it was about 2 months after buying mine until the new version came out. 0 f***s given.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

I would wait.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Can you only get 0% and student discount together over the phone?

Couldn't see the finance option when checking out online ?