ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your opinion on coilover choice. 197.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Hi,
As some of you may have seen I have just got myself a nice little 197.
I am not making the same mistake that I made with the Ph1, in that I am not going to throw parts at it until I am happy with it... As.. you are never happy with it.
i am limiting myself to a few simple mods to make it that little bit better on the Nurbergring.

I am torn between my choice of suspension. I am going coil-overs, however I want a proper set that will firstly last a long time, and secondly perform properly.
On track I shall be running semi slicks.
My short list is as follows.

AST 5100 with the top-mounts.

KW Clubsport with their top mounts.
Was debating the Bilstien b14 kit, but i don't see it performing much better than the standard cup suspension.
Any advice would be appreciated.
John

Listerine & Poledo
Was debating the Bilstien b14 kit, but i don't see it performing much better than the standard cup suspension.

Aside from adjustablity, no, probably not.
Indeed, it begs the question to why change the cup set-up in the first place unless being able to tweak is the aim.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Just spoke with R-sport in Wimbledon. I am now also contemplating The Clio R3 Access kit. To be honest, this sounds like a great option as you know Renault have actually spent a fair bit of time/money in developing it.

Will be look at the Intrax stuff too. Its not about money. Ever since I did a track-day with a car on Ohlins and proper geometry, I released where the money goes. Great car control and better ride quality than a luxury barge.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just spoke with R-sport in Wimbledon. I am now also contemplating The Clio R3 Access kit. To be honest, this sounds like a great option as you know Renault have actually spent a fair bit of time/money in developing it.

Will be look at the Intrax stuff too. Its not about money. Ever since I did a track-day with a car on Ohlins and proper geometry, I released where the money goes. Great car control and better ride quality than a luxury barge.
The R3 access kit is either bilstein or öhlins iirc, so it'll be a very good bit of kit.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
The R3 access kit is either bilstein or öhlins iirc, so it'll be a very good bit of kit.

Yeah its Bilstein. I spoke with a bloke called John (great name), he said he would rate the R3 over the one make Michelin cup series stuff, mostly because Renault developed the R3 Access kit to compete with other manufactures, where as the Michelin cup stuff is all spec, so not as "competitive" if that makes sense.
Trying to find out more about this access kit though, as apparently I may have to cut holes out the strut tower, but we are not sure.