ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you buy a car with a replacement engine?

MG ZS180 Mk2
Well as per the title.

Went to see a 182 today which is a very good price.

The clocks say 30k but the original engine failed at 18k so it had a new one put in which has now done 12k. It went well and the car is tidy (needs a hoover though) so I no issues with that, its just the engine thing that niggles me.

It was done at Renault under warranty and they said they have the receipt/details but couldn't find them at the time. I guess the dealer could confirm that it was done though if I called them.

Would it put you off? It shouldn't really but you know when you get that feeling and you think, shame. Its a good price though for a 182.

Thoughts?

Wouldn't put me off, you would be suprised how many cars have had engine transplants, when people hpi cars not many compare the engine numbers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Could look at it two ways, atleast they told you, making them more honest? Cos how would you have known unless they said?

MG ZS180 Mk2
The new engine (fitted last Mar/Apr time), I have been told, has no warranty as it is now out of the standard 3 years one.

I'd want to see the paperwork for it tbh. It also amazes me how many people claim 'to lose' their paperwork, esp when it's important.

I'd check with the dealer.

Peddled device
No paperwork ....for a new engine....fitted at the stealers???

Hmmmm......check everything out before you buy as something smells.

Shed.
As said if they have the paperwork then deffo. the car doesnt have many miles on it to begin with and the fact it has a near new low mileage engine is a definate plus side.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
nope. i wouldnt. 3 reasons.

1) you dont know the reason for engine change.
2) there are plenty more legit, straight, fsh decent examples
3) if its causing you this much hassle to buy it, what happens when you come to sell it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I suppose depndant on how you look at it, it can either be a good thing or a bad thing!

As per above, if the appropriate receipts are present (ie all work done) Then why not, a brand new engine? It should run with no problems for plenty of miles to come.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
As long as its been done properly.

Ive lost count of the ammount of M3's ive seen for sale with new engines because the vanos has packed in.Sometimes you get a better car too

RB 182
Id buy one with a new block, these days more and more cars are having engines - i work for Vauxhall and no lie we have 4 cars waiting for engines, not one of them petrol though! Id never think to check the engine number actually.

The warranty bits right, and parts replaced under warranty are only covered for the life of the std warranty, even if you have a new gearbox at 2 years and 364 days old, its only covered for one day!