ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless gaming pings?

Clio200 EDC Lux
Always been connected via ethernet connection, thinking of getting a wireless card for my pc so I can use it wireless (currently got 8m + cable connecting it to router)

The thing is I do a lot of online gaming, will going wireless put my ping through the roof?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Always been connected via ethernet connection, thinking of getting a wireless card for my pc so I can use it wireless (currently got 8m + cable connecting it to router)

The thing is I do a lot of online gaming, will going wireless put my ping through the roof?

Don't do it!

Wireless if good for browsing/emails/etc, but is currently SHEEEEEEIT for gaming. The basis of the technology just doesn't suit the way online games work at the moment. Don't forget, there's a lot of encryption/decryption going on, that simply isn't there on wired connections.

I usually get a typical ping of 35-38 when playing BF2142, regardless of being wired or wireless. However, the effect in-game is very, very noticable. Lag and jerkiness are very common.

Put another way, I'm racking my brains to work out how I will run a length of CAT5 from the downstairs, to the PC in the attic. I'd much rather have that for online gaming, rather than wireless.

D.

Audi S3 225
my pings were fine using the 360 wireless adaptor connecting to my netgear router, and that was with pipex!

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
DONT try wireless pc online gaming,its laggy as hell.I do a lot of pc online gaming and have tried wireless and its not half as smooth as cable.I play BF2,BF2142,COD,CODUO,COD2 and have tried them all through wireless.

406 passion wagon..

Don't do it!

Wireless if good for browsing/emails/etc, but is currently SHEEEEEEIT for gaming. The basis of the technology just doesn't suit the way online games work at the moment. Don't forget, there's a lot of encryption/decryption going on, that simply isn't there on wired connections.

I usually get a typical ping of 35-38 when playing BF2142, regardless of being wired or wireless. However, the effect in-game is very, very noticable. Lag and jerkiness are very common.

Put another way, I'm racking my brains to work out how I will run a length of CAT5 from the downstairs, to the PC in the attic. I'd much rather have that for online gaming, rather than wireless.

D.

I have ditched the wirless option, and gone for a dLAN solution from Devolo. Pings are pretty good, connection bandwidth from router downstairs to pcs upstairs is arount 20mbps, quiker than broadband connection, online games run well with no noticable lag.. an option, but CAT5 ftw really!!

Karl