ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wire in a USB socket?

2003 1.4 16V Clio
I'm wanting to mount my phone on my drivers side vent (nearest the door) so it charges and can use the sat nav. I don't want wires trailing all over the place, and I want to retain my cigarette lighter socket. So I want a 12V feed that I can plug a USB charger into to feed my phone, that comes on/off with the ignition. I'm a computer engineer so I'm happy to give it a go, I just need a bit of help because in-car stuff is all a bit new to me! I've seen these piggyback fuse things, don't know if that would be the easiest option?

Thought this would have been covered before, or something similar, but can't find anything!

Cheers guys

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I assume you've been looking at a 12v usb socket? If so wire it up to an ignition switched power feed rather than permanent live, that way it'll only work with ignition on (for example the yellow power wore on stereo is ignition switched)

2003 1.4 16V Clio
I was looking at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271938588800?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

was going to mount it where the headlight adjuster switch is, then connect it to a piggyback fuse. I'm guessing a 3A fuse (or should it be 2A?) then connect the earth wire to the nearest bolt on the body?

Ads, I do want to hook it into a switched live... I just have no idea where they are! If I tap into the stereo 12V supply, won't that affect power to the stereo??

182 T
I piggybacked off a fuse that was ignition on, ill check which one later. Earthed to the nearest bolt. I used a converter like I linked too above. Run a dash cam off one and charge my phone with the other. The actual USB ports are behind the centre console.