ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Interesting two statements there. The country is poorly prepared yet you are doing nothing to prepare. Just playing devils advocate here btw.

I live in Scotland. This March ill have been driving 8 years, ive never had any snow tyres/chains/snow socks in that time and never actually been stranded/stuck anywhere/caused an accident etc

At a guess id say we have worse snow than most other parts of the country, i dont have an exceptional driving ability in snow just that if im going to be half an hour late its because im exercising extra caution, its not ignorance - i just dont know why theres all of a sudden panic about this when this has went on for 50 years. I dont know one person thats ever put snow tyres on their car..!

I live in Scotland. This March ill have been driving 8 years, ive never had any snow tyres/chains/snow socks in that time and never actually been stranded/stuck anywhere/caused an accident etc

At a guess id say we have worse snow than most other parts of the country, i dont have an exceptional driving ability in snow just that if im going to be half an hour late its because im exercising extra caution, its not ignorance - i just dont know why theres all of a sudden panic about this when this has went on for 50 years. I dont know one person thats ever put snow tyres on their car..!

Given you've only been driving 8 years I'd wager you aren't actually old enough to have been born the last time the UK was plunged into a proper winter. Climactically it's been fairly mild and we've suffered unusually very little in the way of heavy snowfall in the last 30 years.

As for your point about the last 50 years do you know what tyre design looked like back then? or even 15 years ago? and how the properties of the rubber used in said tyres has changed over that period? I'd be interested to know because you could argue that you're making uneducated statements based on nothing more than your own personal anecdotal experience/good fortune.

White clique
Just seen this video - I now official think snow socks are for arse bandits, look too much like hard work. I have some at dads - they are going on ebay.

SEE - i told you snow socks were rubbish, no one would listen to me would they?!? :rasp:

I'm not using anything, i'll just use a pair of ice skates.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Between the last two winters and maybe two others before that id say ive had atleast 4-5 months of driving in pretty bad conditions with regard to snow, all with 'summer' tyres on. Never has it been an issue, why would it now?

Yes i have been driving only 8 years, but so what? Its Scotland, it snows, they dont clear it, i drive. The poll that has been allocated to this thread says that 55 people over 14 wont be buying winter tyres, because of the extra outlay or because they maybe dont really need them? Personally id say the latter.

Climatically it has been milder but it doesnt stop Scotland getting 4-5 inches of snow from time to time. Maybe it is good fortune maybe its not, either way, i wont be entertaining another set of tyres because few people on an internet forum agree its a semi-good idea.

Car manufacturers in some European countries fit winter tyres to cars sold in winter, they generate considerably more grip than summer tyres. Also in several of those countries insurers operate a policy that if your car is shod with summer rubber in winter months and you have an accident that the car is not fit for conditions and wash their hands of you. Just because the majority of UK residents are poorly educated on the benefits or simply too tight does not change the fact that they are factually proved to be considerably more grippy when temps drop below 7 degrees let alone when the snow hits.

It's pretty telling that you avoided answering any of the questions I asked with respect to your sweeping 50 year statement.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Car manufacturers in some European countries fit winter tyres to cars sold in winter, they generate considerably more grip than summer tyres. Also in several of those countries insurers operate a policy that if your car is shod with summer rubber in winter months and you have an accident that the car is not fit for conditions and wash their hands of you. Just because the majority of UK residents are poorly educated on the benefits or simply too tight does not change the fact that they are factually proved to be considerably more grippy when temps drop below 7 degrees let alone when the snow hits.

It's pretty telling that you avoided answering any of the questions I asked with respect to your sweeping 50 year statement.

of couse they give better grip, they are designed to. Toyo R888's are designed to give brilliant grip in the summer, doesnt mean your cars unsafe if your running something cheaper and lower spec.

im with danny, the last 2 winters and especially last winter have been terrible up here with councils running out of grit, months of snow uncleared and ive yet to get stuck. take your time, keep your distance, plan ahead your journey and ive yet to have an issue. possibly its my heavy engine and skinny tyres im not sure, for that reason i wont be buying them as i dont see any need for them.

Haven't bought any. No doubt they'd give me more grip, but so far I haven't got stuck/crashed and died once, so I'll chance it for another year. Even if I do get stuck and can't get to work, my boss will pick me up as he bought a set for his van (purely for snow) as his 245/18 summer tyres were useless last year.

People can say "Oh they're not just for snow" all they want but in reality if it wasn't for the snow problems last year the majority of you wouldn't even think about them.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
For people running winter tyres, assuming you don't have a spare set of alloys, do you just keep your summer tyres in the garage / shed until it comes time to change over again?

I wouldn't fit winter tyres to a 4x4, thats just ghey. They are called winter tyres because they work in winter on the colder road surfaces. They aren't snow tyres, you would need spikes for that. The first time you will realise you need them is when your run into the back of someone who has them! My 2p..

For people running winter tyres, assuming you don't have a spare set of alloys, do you just keep your summer tyres in the garage / shed until it comes time to change over again?

I keep mine in storage, and swap them over when the time comes. Store them on their side, and it's not a problem.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I wouldn't fit winter tyres to a 4x4, thats just ghey. They are called winter tyres because they work in winter on the colder road surfaces. They aren't snow tyres, you would need spikes for that. The first time you will realise you need them is when your run into the back of someone who has them! My 2p..

You can have your 2p back tbh.

Fitting winter tyres to a 4x4 is ghey?? because they are invincible? Fitting winter tyres to any car including 4x4's is one of the best things that can be done tbh.

my 2p...

I'm going to fit ting tongs next summer. I don't see the point in decent tyres. I've been using s**t ones for years.

I've given up Roy, as the saying goes "you can't educate pork". Those who have first hand experience or the vaguest grasp on physics can see the benefit. Those that have never driven a car with them are happy to rely on "I neva had an accident so far bruv, we dont get snow anyway" as their response.

I find it ironic that many on here are more than happy to waste hundreds or thousands fitting pointless s**t to their car which will make little to no difference to its performance, will argue with people about buying R888, A048 etc over a budget tyre yet seem to have no interest in having the right boots on when weather renders their summer rubber compound/tread pattern ineffective.

I'm out.

Swift Sport
I've given up Roy, as the saying goes "you can't educate pork". Those who have first hand experience or the vaguest grasp on physics can see the benefit. Those that have never driven a car with them are happy to rely on "I neva had an accident so far bruv, we dont get snow anyway" as their response. I find it ironic that many on here are more than happy to waste hundreds or thousands fitting pointless s**t to their car which will make little to no difference to its performance, will argue with people about buying R888, A048 etc over a budget tyre yet seem to have no interest in having the right boots on when weather renders their summer rubber compound/tread pattern ineffective.

Winter tyres don't earn you enough cool points.

They will learn sooner or later.

No doubt they will complain about the Police and THE GOVERNMENT when it becomes law.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I like it how when you lot disagree with someone else, ''We're just offering opinions, this is a discussion forum.... blah blah etc''

But when people disagree with you, they're dumb.

1.5 Clio Dynamique
i wont be fitting winter tyres!!!

its not like we live in sweden where they are actually needed, we have about a months to 2months worth of snow at the most which i can deal with on normal tyres

BMW M5 & E36
I've bought a pair of Hankook Icebears for the front of my R26. Pikey for just buying 2? Maybe so.

First time I'll have used any winter tyres on any car. I'll swap them over when the temperature drops a bit more.

For reference, I managed last winter 'just fine' on summer tyres with 330lbft in my old Trophy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are Hankook Icebears winter tyres then? (stupid question alert...)

I had a set of them on my valver when I bought it.