ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 8, do you get used to it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got Win 8.1 finally installed at the weekend. What tricks & tips are people using on a daily basis?
I would like to get some popular keyboard short-cuts memorised - along with shifting that pointless start menu. I'm using a traditional monitor - not a touch screen, thanks. ;)
D.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
You can get rid of that by right clicking on the taskbar > properties > navigation > start screen (first option)

I don't really use many Windows 8 specific keyboard short cuts... but my main usage is definitely Windows + E!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers!
So far, it's not bugged me as much as it did before. I'm all for change, but previously I saw hardly any benefit for that change over Windows 7.
I'll see how I persevere with it!
D.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Alternatively just set the desktop tile as your first one and as soon as you turn the computer on, hit enter... then you'll be back into the desktop. I run dual screen and that's how I do it, one screen on the desktop and one on Modern UI.

Monaro VXR
I run 4 monitors in win7 and not had any issues (ever btw, not just now), how many monitors do you run?

4 now, did have 6. Current GPU only allows 4 though.

I just found some odd issues in 7 that I could not fix at the time. As well as when I maximized something it went across all the screens unless I ran something like the Matrox software. I did have some issues in 8.1 for a while as well, when it first came out it would only run 3 monitors max. Any more and it would cause an instant lock up. That was patched a while ago though.

Just found the experience better in windows 8 personally, everything just seemed to work without me having to mess around.

Like i said above, i still love 8.1. The simple right clicking on the start menu for common system settings is so much easier.

I also really like the layout of the start tiles, can just place the common items used on there away from all the other rubbish!

fCbTjTy.png

2014 Focus Titanium
I disliked 8.1 to begin with but like everything you just get used to it. I now think it's pretty cool and as mentioned right clicking the start button saves mucho time.

Not sure if there is a work around to shutdown quicker though. It's a pain hovering to a cover waiting for settings to come up then clicking shutdown.

I haven't used windows to shut down my PC for years, I just give my case a tap on the power button and it shuts down, don't understand why more people don't use this feature! That is unless your case isn't easily accessible of course.

I installed it over Xmas, just to give it a go. First thing was to install ClassicShell.

Feels much like Win7, though the new file explorer has some annoyances, aside from that not really noticing any difference (didn't expect to once I don't use Metro).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I installed it over Xmas, just to give it a go. First thing was to install ClassicShell.

Feels much like Win7, though the new file explorer has some annoyances, aside from that not really noticing any difference (didn't expect to once I don't use Metro).

Same here m8. Trying to ignore most of the niggles and persevere with it! Reverting as much as possible to the classic mode has helped tremendously - as has bypassing the account sign-in at the start and stuff.

D.