ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will water in the exhaust evaporate over time?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I slowed down this morning for a large pool of standing water - in order for the engine not to suck any in.

But it seems some has got into the exhaust now and there's a definite sloshing noise on braking. I've left it on a slope in the car park, with the car tilting backwards. But will this water evaporate over time with the heat of the exhaust? I was thinking of giving it some proper beans tonight in order to maximise the exhausts heat.

Would this work, or is it just pointless to attempt it?

Cheers,
D.

It's A Reno
Go flat out in reverse and then slam the brakes on. :cool:

Seriously, if you're hearing sloshing, are you really sure it's the exhaust?
I'd suspect fuel noise or sills first.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Go flat out in reverse and then slam the brakes on. :cool:

Seriously, if you're hearing sloshing, are you really sure it's the exhaust?
I'd suspect fuel noise or sills first.

I did think that at first, m8. But it definitely sounds in the central area - around the gearstick/hand-brake area. I could hear the fuel in the tank slosh under the back seat (approx half full) ok, but this is a different type of slosh - lol!

Hard to explain, but I've definitely not heard this before. And given the large amount of water I went through this morning - I'm assuming its this? Not always safe to assume things though, eh? ;)

D.

Must have been deep to get in the exhaust as surely it can only get in via the pipes at the back? It will dry out eventually I reckon, mines always blowing condensation out first thing but eventually goes away.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Get it hot and give it some, will clear it pretty quickly. I am amazed water got in. If you go through water that deep again, then go slowly as you did, but keep it in 1st and keep the revs up to stop this happening again. Plus don't reduce the revs or let them drop to change gear once your in the water. (even if you have to ride the clutch so you don't go to fast)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd be more worried mate as it could only have gotten in through the back box, it must have been high to reach the back box mate.

I think there might be more to it.

'95 Astra :-(
The cat is around about the central area and these things run hot, plus being closer to the engine it is pretty hot, so it will evaporate away. Make a nice tea from all the boiling water :)

But that is a lot of water to hear it sloshing?

To hear it slosh I would expect you need a large open area (like the stills), the exhaust silencers and cat have restricted passageways so this would slow the water down and limit 'slosh' heard. Just like foam filled racing fuel tanks.

Ever tried putting your hand over an exhaust? There is quite a lot of gas coming out. So the water will have had to force itself all the way up 3/4 the length of the exhaust to get to the area around the gearstick.
Take her to 7k rpm, that should be enough gas pressure to get the water and baffles out :approve:

My Pug 205 sills used to fill with water. If the temp drops outside and in the morning your windscreen mists up, you have water somewhere inside the car.

We will see how you get on. Good luck.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Yeah must of been super deep, also if you say its in the backbox then it most of got over the axel bend.

if it was that deep it would of got in the car from the underpan too!

53 Clio's & counting
you could stick a hose pipe in your tail pipe and still after a drive it will blow it all out mate(i have seen this done lol), no need to worry there, the sloshing noise is though, i can only think either there was enough water inside to 'fill' up one of your exhaust boxes, id lay my money on the water being somewhere else, id say maybe in the doors, and the drainage holes are blocked? or in the sills possibly?

It's A Reno
Have you had chance to rag it yet and find out if it's the exhaust?
What diameter is it btw?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Must have been deep to get in the exhaust as surely it can only get in via the pipes at the back? It will dry out eventually I reckon, mines always blowing condensation out first thing but eventually goes away.

It was that turning to go through Belthorn m8 - do you know it? It usually gets an inch or so with just normal rain, but with the downpour we have had, it was proper flooded. I shouldn't have gone through it, tbh. :(

Thanks for all the reponses guys - especially Higgy. It could well be the cills. I'm going to check all the carpets too, see if any feel a bit damp. It may have leaked in somewhere?

High-revs on the way home - FTW. :)

D.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
i doubt very much it has gone in the exhaust, the pressure from the engine should have stopped this

usually when fording, you go in first with high revs slipping the clutch

Clio MK 4
i accidently let my revs drop the other day in the lakes through this puddle and my car cut out. wouldn't start up either at first and i thought i'd flooded the engine! Luckily after a few starts i got it going and gave it a good blast to clear any problems out and its been fine since.

ITB'd MK1
182 exhaust fill up with water just from the condensation (i've taken them off with loads sloshing about). I doubt you'll get it out by just driving.

For future reference, LOTS of revs to go thorugh deep water

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Right - a bit more info now. I filled the tank up to the brim to minimise any petrol tank slosh and also the washer bottle (which was nearly full anyway). Under accelerating/braking, I can still hear a water sloshing noise - but now it appears more to the passenger side of the car - pretty much the glovebox region or lower.

My immediate thought was the washer bottle, but I'd just filled this up and not used it. It looks like it could be the passenger side cill that is holding the water. All carpets within the car are bone dry.

It's too dark to have a proper look, but I'm off tomorrow, so I'll have a better gander in the daylight.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions again, ppl! :)

D.

'95 Astra :-(
On my mum's old Citroen ZX, leafs fell into the grills between top of the bonnet and windscreen (slam panel?). She never cleans the car and after some time the car started to fill with water inside.

I had a look and the leafs & mulch had blocked the drain holes. The water filled up and then overflowed into the air intake (for heater matrix not engine) then straight into the car.

You could try having a look there? I could just about get my hands in to pull alot of the leafs out. Then used hot water to get rid of the mulch. Not sure if you can see much on the Clio. And I think cabin filter is drivers side?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I went through a freeking massive puddle this morning on a single track c road. Didn't see it!

Water went up over the roof it was deep! All seems to be well for the time being!