ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wierd noise from engine mk1 172

Audi S3 225
I need help dudes, my cars starting playing up once again. I’m not sure how to explain the noise its weird like a whirling noise, actually more like a cat is stuck in my engine bay.

Anyway, it only does it above say 20 mph, and the faster I am going the louder it seems to be. It’s constant. It goes really loud when I put the clutch down, but it doesn’t matter whether its in gear or not as long as the cars moving it makes the noise.

I’m worried it might be the clutch, hope its not the gearbox.

It seems from what I can make out above the zorst, decat and bmc that the noise is coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, but I could be wrong. Any ideas.... I’ve had the cambelt changed and had a 36k service not too long ago, the car was running wicked up untill a few weeks ago. Its on 40k and it’s a mk1 172 x reg.

Thanks

Allan

Megane R26
Sounds like what i've got on my Mk1. Bloke who did my cambelt is most certain its one of the aux pre-tensioners. ie the bearing gone in it. Try listening for the sound under the bonnet, then from the drivers arch. If it is the pulley then it should be louder from the arch. I think where all my arch lining got torn off in my little accident, shite loads of mud , ice, snow and water got chucked up there. Getting it fixed on the insurance, part is about £50 , may need to replace aux belt but thats only £15.

I did have this problem not so long ago but it's gone now. Either than or I can't hear it over my viper and de-cat back exhaust. :eek:

Audi S3 225
hey, thanks for the replys, so what do i need then a new aux belt, im sure i had this replaced when it was serviced along with getting the cam belt done.

Well wierd how it goes really loud when i put the clutch down?

Ill go have a listern and c if i can hear it while its idle.

Thanks

Audi S3 225
omg just checked under the engine and i found this cable unplugged wtf!!!!

Plugged it back in, took it for a 5 min drive didnt notice any difference the noise is still there. I couldnt hear the noise at idle only after i go over around 30mph, after which its constant!!!

Attachments

• DSC00104 (Small).JPG
    DSC00104 (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 71
  Audi S3 225
bump, any other ideas to what the nosie could be and what the hell is the cable thats unplugged! probably a sensor but would still like to know.

Thanks

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
that is the map sensor..... the car was running in basic fueling mode with that disconnected.

take the battery off for 20 mins.... make sure the map is reconnected and restat..

leave to idle for a few mins

that will reset the basic fueling parameters.

the noise...... thats a hard one

if its speed related......

box
shaft
wheel bearing

Audi S3 225
hey Andy thx for the repy, ill have to do the battery 2moro, as for the noise i really aint got a clue im gonna take it to a local garage, hopfully is something simple, but we will see ill post back once its sorted, thanks dudes