ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why oh why wasnt cruise control available before 2004?

Ph2 172
Does it seem abit strange that a high spec car like the Renaultsport Clio didnt have cruise control until 2004? :dapprove:

Clio 172
personally i think its strange that such a small car has cruise control, however mine is pre 2004 and has CC

I use it on long motorway trips for about 1 min just to move my right leg a bit. Other than that its pretty useless due to the busy roads we have.

Ph2 172
Wow, every answer there was negative in some way or other :D
I use cruise control alot. I sometimes do 12 hours of driving in a day, and generally do alot of motorway driving so its something I need. Im finding it hard to find one in my price range with cruise control though. :(

Ph2 172
Is it? Ive called a few 2003's today and none of them have it :( Ive looked at aftermarket cruise control kits though. If I fit one of these its still cheaper than getting an 04 plate. Think I'll just do that :)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i use mine in the z4 all the on the motorway, im eaither early in the morning or late at night so open roads. its easy and helps mpg

BMW M135i
Is it? Ive called a few 2003's today and none of them have it :( Ive looked at aftermarket cruise control kits though. If I fit one of these its still cheaper than getting an 04 plate. Think I'll just do that :)
Forget the aftermarket kits.

No idea on budget and I haven't looked at this in detail its just an example but they do come with CC, I know because mine had it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/3/radius/1501/postcode/cv116ns?logcode=p

Or squeeze for a 182 because they all have it.

Mountune Tractor
My friend has it on his 172, personally I wouldn't want it/use it on a clio after the story he told me. I'll try and find it.

Ph2 172
Ive been a mechanic for 10 years, Doubtful theres any story about the workings of a car you could tell me that would scare me tbh :rasp:

Ph2 172
Yeah, this is what Im going to do I think. With price hike from an 03 to 04 being over £1000, I think I can fit one much cheaper.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi, I don't think we've met. I'm gally the CC expert on here i'd be happy to come to your home and install some CC free of charge if you let me take you for dinner and drinks?

Deal? Okay then i'll see you at 4.32pm.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing you're the shy retiring type. It's okay your family will enjoy my company i'm simply great at parties.

Now stop taking this thread off topic!

Will. is a nice guy tbh. Your parents would love him.

Didn't the wiring change with the 04 changeover? I'm sure it did on the non-sports anyway.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
You could retrofit it. It would be a pain in the arse, but it's possible. Easiest way would be to get the ECU, UCH, keys and loom from a car that already has it.

Almost everyone on here said retrofitting climate control was impossible, although my other half successfully managed to fit it aswell as auto lights/wipers etc to my 182 cup.

BMW M135i
Its not impossible just overly longwinded and expensive.

CC wise, a lot of the later cars have the loom in place but its still a few hundred in bits to retrofit. Theres a guide somewhere on here.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I find it hard to believe you sometimes drive 12 hours a day and your getting a CS!

Don't think I could do that.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL at cruise getting stuck on. More like idiot pressed wrong button..! Worst case, knock it out of gear FFS...

Sounds a bit like those American genius' whose throttle got stuck open and they called the cops after miles and miles of FULL POWER down the freeway.. Knock it into N, dumbass !

Anyway, OP .. get something nice instead haha ! 12 hours a day in an RS ? No thanks ! Do you already have an RS and are looking for a 2nd, or are you foolishly re-joining the fold ?

:star:

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Its not impossible just overly longwinded and expensive.

CC wise, a lot of the later cars have the loom in place but its still a few hundred in bits to retrofit. Theres a guide somewhere on here.

It works a treat too, we managed to get CC on my mates car which is a ph2 on a 51 plate. I have a late 02 and have the loom. Cost him £120 in pieces and a couple hours fitting.

Soon as I track down the last couple bits I'll be doing it on mine, CC is great and use it whenever I'm in the Alfa where I can

Corsa Van. Meh.
I wish I had cruise. But due to using an after market steering wheel I no longer have it.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I wish I had cruise. But due to using an after market steering wheel I no longer have it.

Didn't someone on here get cruise control etc working on an aft market steering wheel? Might have been i the guide section but Ive definitely seen someone on here do it.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Love CC! One of the best oem mods you can have. My 53 plate also has it...HAD it, until i changed the wheel!

Seat Ibiza
Its a awesome thing, but I hate the way the little button my by knee if i use it and dont turn it off i then get an annoying little green light on the dash!! Which annoys me...lol!
I thought you could get it before 2004, it was just an option?
I have a 2004 172, is this the last of them? cause i have seen a fair few 2004 182's

Ph2 172
My budget has gone down a little bit due to spending some cash on computer gear in the last few days.
So, if I can find a Clio with cc, near London, for around £2k I'll consider it. But if not Im going to go for a Stilo Or Astra as they have cc and a bhp figure Im ok with. I cant be arsed with fitting cruise control, Im not really looking for a project at the moment as Im busy with other stuff, I want a car that fits all my requirements this year. Next year possibly time for a project. :)