ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why don't clios....

A SHED!
Why dont clios make their factory power figures? is it just a case of bad castings on the inlet manifolds like the 172/182 or are there other reasons in the engine design? cheers

Why dont clios make their factory power figures? is it just a case of bad castings on the inlet manifolds like the 172/182 or are there other reasons in the engine design? cheers

I doubt many cars do.

The Veyron is supposed to have 1001 bhp I think, but has been found to really have around 960 I believe.

Golf GTD Mk7
I doubt many cars do.

The Veyron is supposed to have 1001 bhp I think, but has been found to really have around 960 I believe.

I've seen vag and hondas make stock. Too many factors really. Remember that the French do class it as 182/197/200 bhp, it's kW, but they don't even tend to reach that either

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Mainly I would say because they take the figures from a car the has been through the exact metrics for running in etc and with fresh oils and everything that extract the maximum performance.give it a good service and run it again and then you should see and increase?

For the people saying their car made book power, how do you know it was any more or less accurate than someone who's car made less? They're just a complete lottery of egos, opinions, and expectations. Also the results always mean different things from different perspectives, as some of the posts here perfectly illustrate. Just be happy with your car, or buy another one if it's too slow. Fin.

For the people saying their car made book power, how do you know it was any more or less accurate than someone who's car made less? They're just a complete lottery of egos, opinions, and expectations. Also the results always mean different things from different perspectives, as some of the posts here perfectly illustrate. Just be happy with your car, or buy another one if it's too slow. Fin.
Well said fella.

Yeah. Ruin a thread which is basically about rolling roads, with an opinion on rolling roads. Good one.

It's just an opinion. Take it or leave it.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
They do make there power Renault dont use bhp they use PS, so 172ps is around 160bhp which most clios are running. Just people think the 172 stands for bhp when is doesnt.

RS Clio Trophy
Yeah. Ruin a thread which is basically about rolling roads, with an opinion on rolling roads. Good one.

It's just an opinion. Take it or leave it.

The thread isen't about rolling roads:S its about why a lot of Renaults dont make their claimed power, which i think is a pretty good question tbh

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Like some have said. It all depends on what rolling road you take it to. Like annoying they are all different and the operator might do something differently etc. The best thing to do is get a rolling road dyne run done. Do the mods you want and then get it redone at the same place, preferably by the same guy. If you get an increase then excellent. If you don't then you wasted your money a bit :rasp:

Either way. You could spend your life chasing figures but it's what the car is like to drive that Is important!

Clio 182
its like buying a memory card for your phone or camera. although its say 2GB, its actually less.

V6 255
Not that I know about, or care about rolling roads and figures blah blah blah, but EVO's 200 made 205, so you're right they don't make book figures

As already stated, if it feels underpowered/slow, get a different one, or a different car if 'book figures' are your thing. There's so much more to a RS clio

182 Cup
Surely an engine dyno rather than a rolling road would be the only accurate way to ascertain an engine's true output figures?

I'm pretty sure that's how Renault would have got their figures anyway.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My standard 182 made 176bhp on live rollers.

Keep in mind.... >

Some car manufacturers still quote a power output rating called PS, which stands for Pferdestärke (literally, 'horse strength'). It's alternatively known as DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung ) hp as opposed to SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) bhp.

Mainly I would say because they take the figures from a car the has been through the exact metrics for running in etc and with fresh oils and everything that extract the maximum performance.give it a good service and run it again and then you should see and increase?

They do make there power Renault dont use bhp they use PS, so 172ps is around 160bhp which most clios are running. Just people think the 172 stands for bhp when is doesnt.

im going to vote for these as the answer

thats all

imo

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Is it not something about the test cars having every once squoze out of them, with properly milled inlets and things, then poorly cast s**t for the every day customer??

A SHED!
Is it not something about the test cars having every once squoze out of them, with properly milled inlets and things, then poorly cast s**t for the every day customer??

this is what i thinking? with the clios, is it just a case of badly casted inlets which decide whether its "feels" fast/slowish?

Black Clio GT
flywheel power is just pub talk, there is so many variables that its not even worth wasting breath on tbh but if you want to w@nk over figures then its atw power that counts in the real world...
i use rolling roads to see if my car is running smoothly/correctly, who gives a monkeys if its 8bhp more than joe blogs 1*2, a good tuner will be able to tell you where improvments can be made then take it back to the same rr in the same weather with the samer tuner and you will keep the variables to a minimum, you should also run in 4th as it gives the most accurate readings due to the gear box ratio!!