ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do you modify?

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Satisfaction knowing you done that and that the car is more unique to suite you and not being stock, you wouldn't buy a house and leave it as you bought it would you?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Think boredom/to enjoy the car more. Doesnt allways work though. I dred to think how much ive spent :(

White clique
I'm surprised no one has yet said they do it to be competitive. TBH from the RR days i've been to, everyone strives to have the highest BHP on the day. If they do they are a hero, if they get a s**t BHP reading they look sorry for themselves.

I havent modded for years but when i did, there was definitely a competitive element to it.

work for BMW
because i want to look at my car and smile everytime because it looks just right and exactly how i want it!

Black 200
In terms of being proud of creating something, its kinda explained without words In this.

..I think so anyway.

That video is awesome! Very well made.

Personally I only modify for improvement of handling, speed or functionality, but not looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I was going to modify my clio, but then realised whats the point, it will cost serious money to make it noticeably better than standard, I did the basics straight through yozza and an itg maxogen, was going to do some real engine work but realised if wanted a quicker car i would just be better off buying one that was quicker as standard......hence the purchase of http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?609120-TVR-Tamora-Project&highlight=tvr+tamora

big boost cup
I'm surprised no one has yet said they do it to be competitive. TBH from the RR days i've been to, everyone strives to have the highest BHP on the day. If they do they are a hero, if they get a s**t BHP reading they look sorry for themselves.

I havent modded for years but when i did, there was definitely a competitive element to it.

This is another part of why i keep "Modding" my car. Chasing numbers an that

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I like to compete against myself for lap times on trackdays, its a good metric to gauge modifications by in terms of if they have really improved the car or not, but I'm not really massively bothered about competing against anyone else
At the end of the day I could be quicker on track by more difference than any mods im likely to do just by massively manning up on the braking and leaving it to the last possible fraction of a second, as currently I am very conservative on the braking points I use, but I dont wish to do so as it would massively increase the chance of writing my car off, in exchange for nothing that really benefits me, but others may well be doing so with their driving so me trying to compete against them at 7/10ths braking when they are at 10/10ths braking would make things hard to judge on the merit of the car etc.

That said, I do quite enjoy overtaking others on track, just cause its fun to do, so any improvements to the relative performance of my car helps in that respect.

I don't like the idea that someone who has NO IDEA about cars could go and buy the exact same car as the one I have. So therefore I like to make mine different and just that little bit better than off the shelf.

Clio Mk1 Ph1
I don't like the idea that someone who has NO IDEA about cars could go and buy the exact same car as the one I have. So therefore I like to make mine different and just that little bit better than off the shelf.

Agreed! a part of me died the day my sister got a Clio, she genuinely doesn't know the difference between the boot and the bonnet :/

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I normally just aim to replace old with new original, or if the original design was poor (Or stupidly expensive) aim for OEM+

When it comes to track time though, I can imagine it being a whole new ball game.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's definitely competitive, whether it be most BHP, lowest, most cambered, best fitment, best sounding, loudest, funniest or most luxurious. It's all fun and games.

You get into the "scene" of modifying and get to know people, that's when others inspire you to do something different, or to better everyone else. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. It's just hilariously good fun, can't think of any times I've been working on cars with friends doing something like fitting coil-overs and not had a fun time doing it.

It's always nice to meet up with friends and talk about what you've done, broken, what's fell off the car this time, and show off different things.