ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why did you choose a RenaultSport Clio?

renault clio 172
For the last 3 years i have been driving a e46 325 sport saloon, well specced, leather, heated seats, harmon kardon, and much more. Deep down i wanted something that was fun, quick and something that would put a smile on my face. This morning i picked up my Clio 172, 74,000 miles, sat nav, xenons, the usual kit for a couple of grand. A few of my BMW friends were like WHY?? Its fun!! its just taken me what usually takes 10 mins just over a hour what a car!!! i promised myself im gonna keep it standard but after reading this site i think i may add a few mods :)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Re: Why did you choose a clio sport??

Glad you like it, they're a right laugh to go belting around in.

I first drove one when a mate got a 182cup, I did say to him 'why have you got a womans shopping trolley?'
He told me it's not a normal Clio it's a 182cup, which tbqfh flew right over my head as I had no clue what a 182 was.:S

He fitted a Milltek exhaust, had it remapped at K-Tec and fitted lightweight Sparco seats,
one day he said 'give it a go mate', I pulled up to the lights on a duel carriageway and he said 'floor it when it changes to green'.
Within one gear change I shouted 'I'VE GOT TO GET ONE OF THESE!!!'

I've had my 172 for about 5 years now and it puts a smile on my face every day,
it's relatively cheap to run, easy to park, looks like a standard Clio to most, my Alsation fit's in the back
and can put much more expensive and powerfull cars to shame.....WTF more do you want from a car?

Oh and just so you know, if you call them ClioSports people on here will get the arse lol.
Renault Sport Clio is the prefered term for 172/182/197/200s.;)

Last edited:

Someone will be along shortly to tell you it's a Renaultsport Clio.

Hope you enjoy it. Is that a fatory fitted Satnav? If so, a rare option.

Oh, and to answer your question, because it was cheap.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza

Wanted one as my first car, insurance said no. Now I have one, at times I think of changing to boost, until I hit a back road, then I fall in love with it.

Looks nice, sounds very good, cheap ish to run, handles extremely well, fairly reliable.

Very cheap also.

Last edited:
  renault clio 172

yeah its factory fitted, just getting to grips with it, couldnt wait to finish to take it for a blast!!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

I came from a vtr and was after something just like the saxo so the Clio RS was the perfect option.

Love it so far.

Was cheap and I needed something I could fill my spare time with fixing/tinkering. Never planned for it to end up this way.

Chocolate Orange 172

Was cheap and a nice looking car, went to buy one once but then decided on an Octavia VRS. Heard alot about them so brought one and I have been smiling ever since!!

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
Originally I was after a turbo hatchback like a MK5 Golf or VXR. Saw the clio on autotrader, went and viewed it and bought it then and there.

For the price I paid I can't grumble as its only just gone over 54k, 1 previous owner and it's MINT.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

For the money that they command these days, ie half a bag of crisps and a part eaten Mars bar, they are brilliant fun, relatively practical and cheap to run. Hence why when given the choice between selling my e46 M3 & my Trophy, the latter stayed.

I've had five e46 BMW's though, so love them as well :D

Clio 182

Had one when I was younger but was short lived after acquiring points and insurance rocketing. Had a few practical/sensible cars since and just felt the need to get another!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus

Because it was cheap to run (MPG to pace is great imo) and felt more fun and enjoyable day to day than the competitors I drove :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ours is my mrs daily driver and a backup trackday hack.

Its comfy (leather and aircon etc) for the daily commute and gives decent MPG on a run, and it handles well and goes well enough to be good fun on track.

Perfect little all rounder I reckon. Cant really think of anything else I would be happy to swap it for in the same sort of price bracket.

Ph2 Clio 172

Asked the question (in late 2009) "Whats the most fun I can have for £3k?"

Got a lot of replies saying Clio 172.

Because I couldn't afford an S2000.

Same. Or rather, I could afford the car but not the insurance.

Heh, probably get some stick for this but I first considered the Clio on the back of the Top Gear review. JC said that above all else it was a car that makes you smile. I wanted something that did that - I test drove a 182 and found it did the same to me. So I bought it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Because my mate runs the dealership workshop. Because French car.

All joking aside though, they're just brilliant fun. I'm on my fourth now, five if you include my Dynamique. Love 'em.

LY Megane R26 230

For the money that they command these days, ie half a bag of crisps and a part eaten Mars bar, they are brilliant fun, relatively practical and cheap to run. Hence why when given the choice between selling my e46 M3 & my Trophy, the latter stayed.

I've had five e46 BMW's though, so love them as well :D

Plus you have more money than sense ;)

Bought mine as i wanted something a bit more modern than the 306 GTI-6 that i was driving and something better on petrol while still being fun.

The Clio ticked all the boxes and i can honestly say its been a great car in the 8 months ive had it and will be sad to sell up at the end of the month :(

Alien Green 200
Naturaly progression through saxo's to something more modern, bigger, faster and better on fuel.

Love it, it'll be staying for a long time.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I bought my 172 Cup originally as my V6 Mondeo would have been useless on the trackday my wife bought for me.

Was browsing a copy of Evo magazine and they were running one as a long termer and couldn't praise its abilities highly enough.

48hrs later had one on order...don't know what came over me tbh...never sat in one, never driven one, never really even seen one...but ordered it off the back of the Evo reports.

Got a 200 now alongside the 172 Cup as RS Clios just simply get under your skin, can't shake them off.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Within budget, quick and cheap to run. Its the longest ive owned a car too, 18months so that speaks volumes really

BMW 540i 4.4 V8
I don't have one.. yet? maybe..

Currently driving BMW 540i 4.4 V8 and want more fun on 4 wheels.. I have motorbike for when its sunny!

PB Clio 172
because I have had 2 Renault 5 Turbo's, a Clio 16v so on too the next Renaultsport range- the 172 ! :approve:

Renault does hot hatches like no other and I love my Clio !

BMW 540i 4.4 V8
Not as bad as i thought then. Middle 30's for me whatever the driving style :)

I spent a week in Plymouth, driving around the city for the day, everyday and it was down to 9mpg.. I fancy a change for fun not fuel cost. I've never owned a little car, all my previous cars have mostly been saloons above 2500cc